Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO

Guest Eric Lamontagne

Guest Eric Lamontagne

Anyone had the chance to listen to these cans? I'm interested in an alternative to the usual cast of characters for location mixing. How do these sound? How do they compare to DT48, MDR7506 and HD25?

Thanks,

Eric Lamontagne

Guest Eric Lamontagne

Link to manufacture:

http://www.beyerdynamic.com/cms/Headphones.93.0.html?&L=1&tx_sbproductdatabase_pi1[showUid][showUID]=44&tx_sbproductdatabase_pi1[showUid][backPID]=93&cHash=cd6f9075a1

Nice review and cool headphone site, worth a few minuted of time!

http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-manufacturer/beyerdynamic/beyerdynamic-dt-770.php

I have owned the DT 770-PRO since 2001 and love them very much. They have excellant low end and Really help to isolate you from your enviroment. I love mine and they are very well built mine are over 5 years old and still sound great! If your have any other questions I'd be happy to answer them

Guest Eric Lamontagne

Whitney,

Have you used other headsets in comparison? How does the DT 770's compare in isolation, frequency response, and comfort over long duration listening to the other standard options?

Thanks for your opinions

Eric

I have used  the Sony MDR 7506  Headphones and the DT48 as well. I find the isolation on the Dt 770's to be the best compared to the other models listed. They do a really great job of keeping the wind out and any background noise out as welll. I find the freq response to be great on the low end it allows you to hear everything the mids are good as well and the high end is fair. I have a large head and I find the 770's to be the most comfortable over long days as well They don't hurt my head and the suede material on the headphone ear cups does a good job at absorbing sweat as well. As far as I know I am in the minority though I have yet to meet any other sound mixer who using the Dt 770 pro hope this helps. If you have any other question feel free to ask...

Hi Whitney,

I used the old style DT770s for several years. I liked them very much. I guess we have different shaped heads. They sounded great, but I found them a bit heavy. The metal spring headband gripped my noggin pretty tight, and at the end of the day, I felt it. The isolation was excellent, and I too liked the velvet muffs/pads, especially in the cold. Mine eventually broke (headband) and I gave them to my friend for parts. He continues to use DT770s to this day. I've tried many sets of cans (fickle, I guess). I don't mind the Beyer DT250s, but they squeeze my bean a bit too. I use the Sony 7506s for lots of jobs now because of their light weight and somewhat hyped response. My favourites for several years have been Sony V600s. they're a higher end consumer headphone, but sound very good. Much ruggeder than they look too. I originally bought them for boom ops, but when they consistently heard stuff I didn't, I traded them. At the recent AES convention/show many demo booths were using Ultrasones of differing flavours. They sounded fine to my ears, but didn't knock me out, at least with a cursory  listen. The Remote Audio high noise headsets (with the 7506 drivers) did get my attention though. The folks at the Sanken booth were using them in their demo area with the new Cooper note-book mixer. Impressive noise isolation. Weighed a ton though. I'll probably buy a set, or get a set of custom moulded in-ears for those crazy loud environments. All of this is very subjective of course. Give the Sony V600s a try though. You might be surprised.

Cheers, Chris Newton