Microphone Fatigue

Jeff Babb

After two weeks on this feature it seems that I'm having to run the faders higher at the end of the day than at the beginning to get the same levels on the meter.  The mic is a CMC 541.  The mixer is a 552.

What's going on?

I'm not talking about hearing fatigue.  That's a given. 

Of all the mics I have owned, the Schoeps has had the most "diaphragm fade" of all...  They age....  Weather has an effect on them as well, more so than other mics...  Of course humidity plays an important role here...  But again, I have been through a few, they just get old and it does show over time...  If it's a "5" it is in fact getting there...  Keep in in a case with a desiccant inside when not using, or between set ups when it's moist out. Buy them at Cabala's online... Gun section... they come in many sizes and styles... The big ones (a few) can keep a van dry on the inside...... Or, simply go to another mic when it is humid...  I always keep them in my Van, my cases, and in some cases, IN MY GEAR ITSELF!!!  Empty battery compartments are a good plac e to stash one or two...

I'd be checking my battery condition mostly....the Schoeps CMC5 41 will run down from 48 volts to 12 volts...and depending on your powering with the 552 it may be draining enough juice to mean you have to increase your gain....have a listen for the tell-tale noise increase in the mic if it gets lower voltage.

BVS.

I'd be checking my battery condition mostly....the Schoeps CMC5 41 will run down from 48 volts to 12 volts...and depending on your powering with the 552 it may be draining enough juice to mean you have to increase your gain....have a listen for the tell-tale noise increase in the mic if it gets lower voltage.

BVS.

I believe the CMC 6 is 12-48....    the CMC 5 is 48 only......  Could be wrong....  That 5 needs full 48 to work, or really close to it, but that 6 can go way down before trouble...

I've just checked my CMC5 41 and it runs 12 volts and 48 volts....and the sound output is lower and noisier on the 12 volts...

BVS

Interesting  I checked mine too and it is 48-12.....  I guess they made both versions on the CMC 5...  You might be on to something with the voltage, if he was in a bag or on all batteries... and they were in fact fading... makes good sense....  If he was out of a board, AC and it did that, I would then wonder...  But the 552, maybe batts were low..... 

In my experience with a 442 and any 48vp mic, as the battery power drops, the 48vp power drops then there is a kind of fuzzy distortion and level change that begins to set in. On the 442 battery power is shown on the upper scale of the meters, when the indicator shows only red lights that's my cue to change the internal batterys as past history has told me that level drops and distortion are close at hand. Of course there's never a problem when running from ac power.

Eric

I thin I'd be suspicious of the mic power too.  I've had a brace of 5 Schoeps mics since the early 1980s, and when I have rented extras recently (much newer mics) I didn't notice any major output diffs.  I don't think it is a good idea to run SD mixers down near the bottom of their battery life--I generally swap out when they are 1/2-way (ext battery powering mixer and RX) to avoid these kinds of issues.  I understand that technically it might be unnecessary, but I do hear a change in the sound of my mics as the mixer approaches the bottom of the battery power (and don't like the "sudden death" possibility too). 

Philip Perkins

Not related to the OP, but I had a friend with an SQN which would through the course of a day need more and more gain applying to any mic inputs used, and on occasion the outputs would suffer a similar fate, a few days back at SQN Towers and a few quid later and all was groovy again.

I let the batteries run down to about 1/2.  Then A/B with the AC power.  Sure enough.  3 o'clock on 1/2 battery and 12 o'clock on AC or full batt.

Jeff,

The 552 has a regulated switching supply.  It will maintain constant voltage to the 552 until the batteries are exhausted.

The phantom voltage should not change regardless of the battery condition. 

If you are seeing a measurable difference, call support and have your mixer checked out.