Rode is coming out with a lav

Sam Mallery

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just found out about this. It'll be interesting to give it a listen:

http://rodemic.com/microphone.php?product=lavalier

The mic comes with a special connector wired on and then you choose which wireless you're going to use via their adaptors. Problem seems to be that they don't offer an adaptor connection for Lectro or Zaxcom.

Eric

• 2 months later...

The RODE Micon connectors appear to be the same as the Da Cappo connectors. My RODE lav works with my Da Cappo connector from my DA12 headworn mic. So, I'm assuming that all these Lectronsonic and Sennheiser SK50 models listed on the Da Cappo page will work until RODE begins shipping them. http://www.da-cappo.com/product.php?PID=5&name=Adapters

And here's a quick video of the RODE lav with some close-ups of the connectors:

RODE Lavalier Microphone

Guy Cochran

http://dvestore.com

The mic comes with a special connector wired on and then you choose which wireless you're going to use via their adaptors. Problem seems to be that they don't offer an adaptor connection for Lectro or Zaxcom.

Eric

Quote from the video: "Wired XLR always going to sound better then ANY wireless" (:

I like the connectors. Very useful. I wonder if they sell the connectors only.

DPA already has a phenomenal array of connectors for its lav. Looks like Rode just followed suit; par for the course with that company.

http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/products.aspx?c=Catalog&category=138

Anyone know what one of these Rode Lavs is going for "in store?"

I like the connectors. Very useful. I wonder if they sell the connectors only.

Hi Rado,

If you mean the Rode 'micon' connector (their version of the DPA microdot) that is on each end of the cable, no they don't sell them on their own. They do sell various length cables with a male one of these on each end - you screw the mic capsule on one end and the adapter connector or P48 / XLR adapter to the other. I bought a short one of these, cut it in half, soldered an inline minijack socket to each half, allowing me to power COS-11s with Sennheiser G3 plugs with the RODE P48/XLR adapter for 20% of what I paid for my Ambient Eumels!

If you mean the adapter connectors ('micon' to whatever they make - TA3F, Screwlock Minijack, others, but not yet TA5F) - yes they are sold individually.

nick

Quote from the video: "Wired XLR always going to sound better then ANY wireless" (:

I think this would be a factual statment if the word "Any" was replaced by the word "analog".

We will have to get one to see if there is any RF sensitivity.

Glenn

You can send it to me after you are done testing it. (:

I think this would be a factual statment if the word "Any" was replaced by the word "analog".

We will have to get one to see if there is any RF sensitivity.

Glenn

• 1 month later...

Has anyone here worked with the Rode Lavalier yet? I saw some comparison video with COS-11d and Trams where it sounded very nice, but I'd love to read some experience from the field, considering off-axis sound, hiding the mic, noise etc.

Also, is there anyone who knows of a concealer that fits that mic? Like the DPA concealers that fit the Sennheiser MKE 2, but from the specs the Rode is a bit smaller in diameter.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone here worked with the Rode Lavalier yet?

Hi I have worked with the Rode Lav as well as the PinMic. I most likely made the video comparing the COS11D, Rode Lav, Tram and Senn ME-2. I find that the Rode Lav and PinMic sound almost identical, save for the difference in placement - the Lav points up (usually) and the PinMic points out. But the omni pattern makes this not much odf an issue. I have been using the Rode Lav instead of my COS11D, and I really like the sound. The COS11d is a bit more treble sounding, but that can be a good thing, especially under a shirt. I'll post some videos to give you an idea of the sound. For 250.00 I think it's a great deal. If it were out when I bought my Sanken, I may have gone in the Rode direction. But it's nice to have both to choose from. One thing for sure, I will never use the Sennheiser ME-2 again.

Here's my Lav Shootout!

Lav Shootout! Sennheiser Me-2 / Tram TR50 / Sanken COS11D / RØDE Lavalier

PinMic Review

RØDE PinMic REVIEW

PinMic on Females

RØDE PinMic Test 1

Rode Lav on a Male (mic covered by included furry)

I did the "Lav Shootout!" using my own lavs, and borrowed the Rode Lav from Guy Cochrin. After I did the shootout I blindly wrote Rode from their "Contact Us" page informing them that I did this shootout and that people are liking the lav a lot. Then I asked, "I think this video may have sold you a few units. I know this is a long shot, but could I just have one?" And they said "Sure!" and sent me both the lav and two PinMics. So I happily made a pinmic review after that. If you are wondering if I somehow wasn't honest in my opinion because the mic was free, that's not the case.  My opinions are purely my own, and Rode gave no input as to what I should do in the videos. They just make good lavs! And if you notice in the shootout that I don't name any winner. Mics are really subjective, so it's best to let others make conclusions. My purpose is to make a clean, uninhanced recording of whatever gear I have and let you decide if it's for you. Over the years I purchased the NT1, NTG-2, NTG-3, NT3, NT4 mics myself. But I did ask them to send me a pair of NT55s to demo, which they did. I am now "living with" the nT55s for a while, getting recordings when the opportunities come up in order to have material for a future demo of the gear. I am not a Rode employee. I am an independent videographer/audio engineer living in a wee town called Arcata in northern California. I mostly do local TV ads for 300.00 a pop. I do jingles too when I can get the work. Here is the work I do: http://www.youtube.com/ChadWork1

So yeah, I am getting into doing these videos for trade of gear. Lord knows I can't afford everything I want. That's how most professional looking demo/reviews are done. Nobody likes to work for free. The PinMic is the only time I've made a video using free gear, and I hope to do it a lot more.

PS: I am recording an entire song using only the PinMic just for kicks, and surprisingly it sounds pretty good! I've got it all recorded, but I'm trying to come up with an interesting video treatment. I videoed myself playing the parts into Cubase so I have live performances captured, but some tracks like vocals I couldn't get in one take so I'll be lip syncing those. The drums were done in 3 takes cut together while capturing on video. I'll leave you with the drum track recorded using the Glyn John's mic placement technique made famous with John Bonham.

Drums recorded with the RØDE PinMic & Lavalier

Hi Chad,

I see that you're a fan of Rode gear. That's cool. But just for the record, have you ever received any compensation from Rode or affiliates? Like payments for anything, travel compensation, free gear, or long-term loans?

And thanks for posting your comparisons.

Jim

Thank you, Chad. I may have to give you your own section on this forum (I can do that, you know) since I am digging everything you are putting up here for us. I am a real drum nut and your use of the PIN-MIC really confirms for me it is all about mic PLACEMENT (and I did not know that was the preferred configuration from Glyn Johns).

Addition to the ever popular small world stories, I had never heard of Arcata until my son has traveled there, usually on the way to somewhere else, and performed a few shows. David is a video D-Jay performer going by the name "strangeloop" and is musician, filmmaker and all around creative artist.

-  Jeff Wexler

You know Jeff, through doing this PinMic song (with no prompting from Rode) I too discovered that placement is everything. Also one can EQ a mic, within reason, to sound how you want it to. Sure it's great to have a mic that sounds like you want it to with no processing, but for the minor differences shown in bumps of frequency charts, an adjustment in EQ can put the mic in question where you want it. It's just that many videographers have no ear, and know little about processing, so their audio is basically mixed in Final Cut Pro and not even mastered.  I am all about dispelling myths about expensive mics being worth the exorbitant price differences. The law of diminishing returns is something to consider. Also fights over bit depth & sample rates are largely based on unfounded opinions and placebo effect. I know this is off topic, but Ethan Winer made a cool vid about Audio myths that is really important for anyone working n the field. I'll start a new thread and post the video. Then I'll come back and post the link here.

UPDATE - Here is the new "Audio Myths" thread: http://jwsound.net/SMF/index.php?topic=7697.new#new

Chad, Thanks for being straight up about this. Lots of people here carry conflicts of interest. And that's not terrible so long as we all know what's up. I have some, and disclose them where appropriate...haven't had a reason to here, but I have on RAMPS (back in the day...sigh), and elsewhere.

So thanks again.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

Well here it is. With no prompting from Rode I decided to make this song/video for the heck of it because business is slow and I have a lot of time on my hands this month.

RØDE PinMic Song

Drums by Justin Hoopes. Everything else by Chad Johnson.

So I got myself this thing called a “PinMic” from Rode Microphones. It’s a kind of lavalier that is less visible than your typical lavalier because the cables go behind your clothes, and the capsule just sits on your shirt or jacket looking like a button or something. I thought they sounded pretty good, so on a lark I decided to record a whole song using only the Rode PinMic (for most tracks), the Lavalier (on lead guitar and kick drum) and their Hs1 headset mic (on backing vocals). It was an exercise to show that used the right way, you can get a great recording without using the traditional high priced studio mics that are the norm. Not that I would really choose a PinMic to use in the studio, but it does show that it’s a pretty decent mic. I think it’s hecka tight.

Just so I'm clear, is the Rode PinMic the same as the Ricsonix PinMic from a few years ago? Both Rode and Ric are from OZ, after all. Has the design changed? If so, now?

Don't quote me on this, but I was told that the Ricsonix Pin Mic is a side address capsule, whereas the Rode Pin Mic is a front address capsule, and where you could cover the Ricsonix Pin Mic with a button or badge or whatever, this can't be done with the Rode Pin Mic without altering the sound.

Chad, is there any problem with cloth-russling with the pin mic? Im asking since the capsule is sitting so close to the cloth. Can the back plate pick up unwanted rubbing noise from an inner shirt or similar?

I have heard no rustling yet! I don't think it's an issue. Even the inventor touts that fact in his video.