Rode is coming out with a lav

Sam Mallery

I have heard no rustling yet! I don't think it's an issue. Even the inventor touts that fact in his video.

Sweet! I got a Rode lav last week, just to try it out, and I like it alot. Sounds great and the micon connectors are really good. I'll definitly be getting a couple more of those and 1 or 2 pin mics for my kit. I can absolutly see where those would be usefull.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't quote me on this, but I was told that the Ricsonix Pin Mic is a side address capsule, whereas the Rode Pin Mic is a front address capsule, and where you could cover the Ricsonix Pin Mic with a button or badge or whatever, this can't be done with the Rode Pin Mic without altering the sound.

Sorry,

I did quote you LOL.  Anyway I asked about the same thing from a Rode rep when inquiring about the correct way to paint the screen.  Apparently you can attach to the front of the screen like the original Pin Mic, but he didn't say if it altered the sound.  Wish they would come out with a Micon for Lectro soon so I can get one.  Suits are a pain!

Bernie

• 1 month later...

Is any stores carrying the rode lavs, and micon 7's yet. I ordered my rode lav in mid January with sweetwater but they keep getting delayed. April 1st is the expected date at SW, i checked b&h and its says march, and i tried DVE store says pre-order, and alot of the other stores dont have them on there stores yet (trew, coffey, gotham, Tai). 

I cant wait to get them, and im tired of waiting. Curious if theres any stores that already are selling it.

" I cant wait to get them,  "

you'll have to...

" April 1st is the expected date at SW, i checked b&h and its says march, and i tried DVE store says pre-order, and alot of the other stores dont have them on there stores yet (trew, coffey, gotham, Tai).  "

notice a pattern ??

Since I was an owner of several Ricsonix pin mics the nice people over there sent me a new rode pin mic to try out.

I really like it, though it is not designed to be hidden like the original was.

Still, I use it often, and am always impressed by the sound quality of the mic, especially if you end up in a (regrettable) situation where you might need sound from people around your subject who are not miced up. It is a great compromise for when hiding a mic is not logistically possible for whatever reason.

I heard (but cannot confirm) that the Rode PinMics will work with the Ricsonics camouflage items, such as fake pins and such. I'm not sure how, but I believe if you screw off the mesh screen, you'll be able to attach those things. It is basically the same mic made by the same man.

Since I was an owner of several Ricsonix pin mics the nice people over there sent me a new rode pin mic to try out.

I really like it, though it is not designed to be hidden like the original was.

Still, I use it often, and am always impressed by the sound quality of the mic, especially if you end up in a (regrettable) situation where you might need sound from people around your subject who are not miced up. It is a great compromise for when hiding a mic is not logistically possible for whatever reason.

I also read somewhere (rumors...) that apparently the Pinmic's capsule points outwards, while the Ricsonix pointed sideways - or was it the other way around? Of course they're both omnis but the result might be different when using the Ricsonix accersories on the Pinmic, as Chad suggested. Would be great if someone in the know could clear this up.

On a side note, I bought a Rode Lavalier and the Micon-1 didn't screw on to the Sennheiser G3 at all. Upon contacting them, Rode sent me a revised version of the Micon-1 that worked and screws on well.

Yes Christian, the capsule does point out on the PinMic, but apparently it still works with the pin covers. At least that's what rode said to me. They are very responsive to inquiries, so drop them an email and get the straight poop.

I too had a "too short" Micon-1, but now I have the new longer one that works like a charm.

Here's what Rode guy Scott Emerton just messaged me about the Rode lav availability:

"Yeah we've got both landing in the US maybe in 2 weeks. I don't know why the compact mics (lav/hs1/pinmic) were delayed into the US, but the VMP is just that we can't make them quick enough to meet demand!"

So I guess if you pre-order now you may get in on the first shipment.

• 4 weeks later...

The 1st Sets of rode lavs are in stores. I heard BandH may still have some left. (they had 3 on thursday when i spoke with them) Down side is not all the mi-con connectors have arrived state side yet like the lectrosonics (micon7) and the xlr plug(mi-con5).

The new rode is the best price for a modular connector lav that i have seen. The DPA and countymans modulars are all 500 plus.

Cant wait to test them for my self.

• 2 months later...

since its out a while now - are there experiences about hiding it? Does the DPA plastic concealer fit?

how about cable noise?

I've used the Rode Lavalier. Careful with the Micon-1 connector for Sennheiser. There has been a revision, the original plugs didn't work well so ask for the revised one if you're gonna need one of these. Cable noise was really low, I was surprised. The mic itself is a bit long though. It won't fit in a DPA concealer. A Sanken rubber mount will conceal it, though I prefer the DPA mount to the rubber. Sound is also really good in my opinion. Only used it once on a studio commercial shoot though but for the price you can't go wrong, especially with the DPA rip off connector system at that price.

• 9 months later...

I dug out this thread about the Rode Lavalier to post my experience with it. Thought I'd get one to complement my DPA 4060s and OST TL40s. I realized that it's completely useless when hidden under clothing. Even if it's just a thin layer like a T-Shirt over the mic, it sounds extremely dull. I suppose it was created for use in plain sight. I once used it in a tie knot (so the membrane had contact to the outside air) and I recall it sounded alright. For hidden use though, even the way cheaper TL40s sound much clearer.

The mic comes with a special connector wired on and then you choose which wireless you're going to use via their adaptors. Problem seems to be that they don't offer an adaptor connection for Lectro or Zaxcom.

Eric

Hope the interchangeable connector is very strong, if not I can see it breaking easily...

• 1 year later...

I just ordered a PinMic. Hoping to see how this can be hidden behind stuff on outside of costumes.

it´s been a while ... but I had a look at the Rode Pin mic and the original one today.

I would like to have the pin mic replace the button of a shirt and put the button again on top of it to hide it in plain sight.

Is that possible with the Rode one? Does covering the capsule alter the sound?

Matthias