Sonosax SX-RX8+

Patrick Tresch

On 3/17/2023 at 9:32 PM, Patrick Tresch said:

Just got mine 😉 everything works like a charm (with beta FW 4.0) I do use a MCR54 in one slot.

The R4+ and the RX8+ with an Audioroot 48wh and a 96wh battery is 3.55 kg (7,8 pounds). 13hours to empty with 4x analog 48v and 8x AES in and 4rx enabled MCR54.

RX8_R4+.jpg

Nice. Is that the portabrace bag and it fits perfectly?  Just about to order the RX8 and use for Wisycom too. 

12 hours ago, colinmk said:

Nice. Is that the portabrace bag and it fits perfectly?  Just about to order the RX8 and use for Wisycom too. 

It could be a bit wider for the AES multipin out. Mine was a custom made (adapted from r4 bag https://en.vocas.nl/porta-brace-ar-sxr4-audio-recorder-sonosax-sx-r4-black.html ) but the 96wh battery needs a cut out... work in progress.

The important thing with the module is :

- either you don't have any mechanical contact between the R4+ and the RX8+ other than the AES/Power cables.

- or you use the metal brakets given by Sonosax.

I must admit that ground loops and other electronic interference is something I don't understand nor manage to control.

6 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

Wait...Sax has a ground loop when the 2 chassis touch each other?   Even if interconnected with cables?

NO! But the equipment is so complex with interferrence from recievers and other electronics noise that I just follow what they tell me.

Last time I heard a spill on the playback on a track wich was not recorded and at the end it was a faulty cable on my side. They tackled the problem and changed the pin soldering of the cable I bought in Germany. And it worked. So I don't mess with this kind of "black magic" for my understanding.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/20/2023 at 8:42 AM, Patrick Tresch said:

NO! But the equipment is so complex with interferrence from recievers and other electronics noise that I just follow what they tell me.

Last time I heard a spill on the playback on a track wich was not recorded and at the end it was a faulty cable on my side. They tackled the problem and changed the pin soldering of the cable I bought in Germany. And it worked. So I don't mess with this kind of "black magic" for my understanding.

Hi Patrick, can you assign all the 8 pots as solo switches for the transmitters?

On 4/6/2023 at 8:15 PM, alexbooy said:

Yes , thanks. So it gives 8 more solo buttons. But while in solo, the recorder screen shows the corresponding AES channel and the  HP pot can change the input level, like on the R4+ .

Yes, in my understanding, it has the same functionality as the R4+ pots. What do you mean by HP pot ?

16 hours ago, alexbooy said:

I mean the Rotary Encoder. I use for it for quickly changing the AES input levels. With the RX8+ there is no need for it.

Do you think that we shall ever get new firmware for the R4+. We all have some whishses, I guess.

Best, Alex

I think Jacques do the firmware updates for what he thinks is important (automix isn't for him) you allways can try to ask and he is really customer focused. He doesn't like "gadgets" but fonctionnality emproovements is something he is listening to mainly coming from customers that are his friends now.

The R4+ needs FW4.0 (still beta but I didn't find any bugs) to work with the RX8+

• 4 months later...

They can be assigned  as either gain for inputs or faders to the mix tracks yes, not a mix of both. 

But! If you use a 2 channel receiver they don't really become "useless" no.  The individual pots can still be freely assigned as  faders for any track (or combo of multiple tracks) to the mix. 

Also the pots can be used as push buttons for different shortcuts (solos, timecode page, arm tracks , name tracks etc. etc. )