Shock/Isolation mounts for extreme low frequency?

MDVolle

I have used many variations of shock mounts on stands and poles - studio and field but am struggling with a new application

My new problem - recording ambient sounds destined for applications with an LFE channel - often adding an additional omni capsule to maximize the LF capture in addition to directional mics.

In most cases I'm actually using a small cluster of mics but am noticing that with the low frequency running down to the limits of modern mics, 8-10 Hz, I'm experiencing new issues I didn't ever notice with a HP or mic roll-off around 30 Hz

My understanding is that the Lyre mounts were designed to a low frequency effectivness of 20 Hz (which they seem to do very well) but I'm wondering if there is any mount, mount combination or design specific to covering down to 10 Hz?

I know that this is a complex mechanical challenge - making compliance and damping really challenging to balance. 

I'm also feeling that in some cases, individual mounts per mic won't image as well as mounting the array rigidly together and then on an isolation mount (making using the Lyre mounts more difficult -  but still the most effective tool I've found, so I'm combining them to hold the array)

Again, this wan't an issue until trying to capture wave crashes, waterfalls, avalanches, thunder - big physical events with really low frequency content and even the slightest motion or vibration in the stand or pole results in clipping.

Any suggestions or ideas?

I assume you've read Chris Woolf's papers on the subject? Here's one available online: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6t-QlBod0gkWGdYU0lHS2dUMGc/view?resourcekey=0-K1FYYErN5-eC71XOFL_hAQ

I can't imagine anything designed for this purpose, but agree that rigidly mounting the array and then mounting that to a single suspension will be the answer: as per Chris's paper, it is easier to get the resonant frequency down very low if you have more mass. Not sure what your cluster of mics looks like, but assuming a few SDCs close together: I'd start with them on an InVision Universal Studio Mount. Or have you tried that? Ambient sound also means wind protection, and that sounds like it will necessarily be purpose-built: but that's to your advantage as bigger is more effective, and you may have no need to be constrained by small light windshields designed (and compromised acoustically) for boom pole use.

Cheers,

Roland

You already know way more about this than I do, but my gut reaction would be to try and adapt a gimbal.

Please share whatever you find out!  I ran into some of these problems with a custom-made binaural head, and I came to the conclusion that I would have to custom-build something to isolate the whole head.  I'll be reading here for inspiration...

11 hours ago, MDVolle said:

even the slightest motion or vibration in the stand or pole results in clipping.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Not a joke, my first suggestion is turn the LFE omni down in relation to the others ... if that's clipping and the others (possibly with HPFs?) aren't then it's simply too loud? Pick a value within the safe non-clipping range at a fixed attenuation, say 6db or 10 or 20 whatever works, and gang the others. That way you have your own reference (but it still doesn't mean you have to turn it back up that far).

Second, I agree with a 'fixed platform' if you can get it to work. I built a 5.0 one around some rubber suspensions (like soft car ones: very old Rycote stuff and DIY equivalents used to use such) on a roughly 8x8inch frame. The Ambient floater might work as a central balanced stand isolator if the weight and spread of the mics above aren't too great.

Good luck and yes, please post results (my own stuff is buried in storage at present so I'm afraid I can't put together my own try from years ago).

Jez Adamson

Roland - I hadn't found Chris' paper and was hoping to - so that's a great help -

My primary "cluster" at the moment is four 8000 series Sennheisers, all with remote head cables - 

I have two 8090's at 90 degrees left and right with an 8050 straight forward and an 8020 omni - with a little effort. you can extract a full 5.1 set of signals from the "cluster" all mounted in the Rycote ORTF windscreen - although using it lengthwise rather than sideways as shipped. The spacing of the capsules is as tight as possible with a custom clip, then held in Lyre mounts - for any source more than 18" away, the capsule spacing doesn't seem to cause any issues - even used as a quasi-MS.

Documentary Sound Guy - The gimbal idea did cross my mind and I tried it because I had a large gimbal but at low levels, the servo motors are just too noisy - but it did seem to help with the LF issue (tough to boom a full size Ronin but actually tired it on a 17' jib arm) - my aim is to share what I find but I'll try to condense the "Didn't work" examples that are already accumulating.

Your present set up sounds compact, but if it doesn't deliver what you need I can't see any way out of creating a rigid array (e.g. using small mic clips) and then suspending the array using something like the InVision Universal Studio Mount; and adding more mass to the  mic array if needed to get that resonance down. And LF on a small windscreen will be greater than on a large one: again, read Chris Woolf on the subject (it’s the distance from the sound generating surface (the outer side of the blimp) that matters, with the inverse-square law applying). I DIY'd a windshield for LDC mics, and the advantage of largeness is very apparent. It would be very easy to make something smaller for your array but capable of holding an InVision Universal Studio Mount. https://drbadphil.com/windshield-for-ldc-mics

And what of the stand or pole? The most solid tripod you can transport would seem better. And don't feel that you have to use a camera tripod. The most stable - vibration-proof - tripod I have come across is my Leica Geosystems Professional 5000 wooden tripod for a total station REDM: not designed for hiking though.

Cheers,

Roland

My solution is slowly evolving - Having a 3D printer helps - 

I am using sturdy lighting stands or tripods to hold the array - which helps but definitely decreases mobility - the goal would be to get a little more leeway in mounting and handling

Soft/elastic suspension attempts continue to be either too floppy/saggy or too stiff - and mechanically, seem to require a lot of tuning for a specific weight - tried printing Shore 85A and 95A plastics held in a Carbon Fiber Nylon printed "frame" but definitely did not improve on the Lyre mounts. I did manage to create a Quasi-Lyre that is a little stiffed in the X/Y directions and softer in the Z-axis - so I will continue to pursue that idea for the cluster.

image.jpeg

My heaviest cluster of mics is a pair of Sennheiser 8090's L/R and an 8050 forward - adding an 8020 for extreme LF if needed - 

Currently its held together by a printed clip resting in a pair of Lyre mounts in the Rycote stereo blimp -  this overloads the Lyres but has been workable with great care in mounting and holding - 

With a little "decoding" this can yield a 5.1 - its definitely not a 360 or ambisonic approach - but has been working well.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

This is a really cool project!!  I have a double mid side schoeps setup that Cinela 3d printed the mic holder for, somewhat similar to your rig.  I also think the cinela lyres are the best shock isolators i have used, so there may be some inspiration there. 

have you considered playing with speaker isolating pads under the feet of the stand in addition to the shock mount?  This being an attempt to isolate the whole rig in addition to the wind baffling and mic isolation. I’ve done this using neoprene under mic stands on resonant stages to reduce foot falls and noticed some improvement. 

Also worth looking at the cabling you use as a lot of low frequency can be induced through the cable. 

Interesting topic !

On my opinion, I can say that if you request a significant isolation as low as 10Hz, I wish you a good luck.

The suspension has to have a resonance as low as very few Hertz...and that concerns all microphones directions, knowing that you may have even more flexibility (unexpected) in other vibration modes. A nightmare for handling.

To be honest, if you limit your wish at (about) 15 Hz, for a stand use, that seems doable.

Anyway, the real challenge is wind protection.

To keep a good acoustic transparency for the lowest frequencies (down to 20 Hz...or lower ?) seems very unrealistic with cardioids (or so) inside a "classic" windshield size (like 20 - 40cm main dimension). Such windshields (our Piano/Pianissimo/Albert ranges, or any other Brand) will definitely filter all low and very low frequencies (pressure chamber effect).

If you were ready to make a DIY "large size" unit (like a tent or so), you could effectively be able to capture the lowest frequencies nicely, and I would be pleased to help you with some advice (structure or covers) !

But that's only my point of view...

P.Chenevez

Nelly and Wandering Ear - 

Thanks for responding - 

I have played with pads under the stand feet and am working on a printable soft foot for my stands (typically lighting stands or tripods) and the softer Sorbothane materials seem to work really well if you match the square area to the load - once sorted out, it seems to work repeatably and well.

I've also combined their stud based isolators between the stand and the mic holder - creating another layer of isolation -  I'll add a photo at some point

I am looking at the cable problem - have some very thin cables but may test without the rubber jacket.

As for wind protection - yup - bigger harder problem but I'de be fairly happy with 15 HZ - the challenge being that I don't know of an input that has as low a HP filter as 12 -18 Hz.

If I can clean up the capture enough to not have things clip or collapse, tailoring the super low bottom would be acceptable.

Thin foam windscreens inside a large format windscreen(14cm diameter) seems to work somewhat for general conditions but if any real wind picks up, even fur seems to have limitations - I did try a really large custom "ball" (50CM Dia) but my materials and sewing skills left a lot to be desired - although something to revisit. Trying to preserve lows and highs keeps the challenge lively.

My next step on the mechanical isolation will be to build a 8-200Hz "noise source" - probably will only be able to test in two planes at a time (one diagonal actuator) and try to actually test the system performance.

• 4 weeks later...

My design has evolved - the four mic cluster was re-stacked slightly to improve clearance in the windscreen

The mic clips were re-designed to be supported from both the front and rear of the mics -

Softer shock mounting done only from behind the cluster kept sagging or collapsing by the time it was soft enough to isolate low frequencies

The "Lyre" idea had to be expanded and the lower sections made stiffer to allow the upper portions to be softer but prevented from sagging by the stiffer sides of the curve

Cable management got a clip arrangement at the back to keep things in place

The "sled" portion that mounts the cluster into the Rycote stereo blimp was lowered to allow the larger support ring geometry

Resonant frequency seems to be better (lower) than previous attempts with actual Lyre mounts as they were being used from behind the cluster and were always overloaded

Lots of "learning parts" printed along the way and developed a more profound appreciation for the design of the Rycote Lyre clips - 

The cluster is two side 8090's, an 8050 front and an 8020 to capture LFE content - subtracting the front from the sides yields rear/surround channels while the Left, Center and Right work discretely or combined as a stereo feed.

4-mic.jpg

1 hour ago, MDVolle said:

The "sled" portion that mounts the cluster into the Rycote stereo blimp was lowered to allow the larger support ring geometry

Good to see the latest suspension (makes me wish I had a 3d printer!). Evidently you are still using the Rycote stereo blimp - indeed this seems to be a constraint on your suspension design: why? Surely, you must make a larger blimp to get wind performance to match when outdoors.

Cheers,

Roland

Throwback,

The primary "constraint" of the Rycote stereo blimp is largely  because I have it (and partially because its paid for)... and I use it with other configurations - I have "sleds" printed for each configuration so I don't have to mess around with re-mounting spacers and lyres each time.

It also seems to work reasonably well at lest in this testing phase. I add a thin foam windscreen to the omni inside the blimp plus the fur when things start to pick up - because the omni is only targeted to be used for LFE, the slight HF loss is ok. Even at home, five miles into the national forrest, finding usably quiet environments has been challenging - jets at 35-40,000 feet can show up in the LF from 10-20 miles out depending on humidity and temperature - I kept looking for what was affecting the stand and mics on the ground for about 30 minutes before making the correlation and looking at a live air traffic map

Ideally, the cluster would sit in a significantly larger structure but the suspension is nearing useful - and better than all previous attempts - the four mics together are surprisingly heavy (a little over 35g each) and the suspension is being printed so that the position you see the mics in has already sprung by about 18mm. To the extent that I can get away with a smaller screen, its helpful when planning to hike the package into remote locations

I have considered a flat arrangement - the mics would be a bit further apart but for distant sounds, that seems survivable - it would result in a more disk like screen but it was harder to get all the suspensions to match.

And yes - a decent 3D printer is extremely helpful - the flexible parts are PA6 nylon and the rigid parts are a carbon fiber nylon which can even be threaded but I used heat-set inserts in this case - the longest print in the whole process was the sled and it's under an hour.

The rings still sag a bit over time and the lower half of the outer arc will have to be stiffened a little more - 

Cineli,

I think my earliest efforts were trying to keep an MKH 816 from bouncing around inside its Zeppelin - both side to side and lengthways while trying to record orca whales up close and personal - boat motion, boom and a whale that thought the furry was a fish treat to be eaten made it an interesting project - the foam isolators would tear in no time and couldn't keep the front of the mic off the inside of the screen while dodging being chomped on. We had to go back to rings, shock cord and a third ring forward in the blimp to control the nose. 

Fair enough using the Rycote stereo windshield if you have to hike with the gear and it isn't limiting your low-frequency aims. Adding foam windscreen to a mic inside the blimp? I remember Chris Woolf strongly advising against that, but can't remember where or why...perhaps one of his AES papers?

Cheers,

Roland