What would be your answer to this lovely lady?

gabi

I have a tale to tell:

A lady booked me for a week as a sound recordist for a project. She is an artist so the project had something to do with some piece of work for Bienal of Sao Paulo (an important art exhibition in Brazil). I was supposed to work for 3 days but she couldn't set the dates precisely so she booked me for a whole week. Based on that booking I took some decisions regarding other jobs.

Then she sends me an email saying that she had already recorded all she needed but in very bad conditions so it sounded like crap and she wanted me to "fix" the bad sound that somebody else had recorded. ASAP.

What would be your answer to that lovely lady?

Gabi

Give it a listen, if you feel you can fix it just give her a estimate of the hours for your time to "fix" it - if it's even fixable. Make sure to note that it's not a fixed price, it will vary based on the actual hours required to bring it up to spec.

You might make more to fix it than the original gig would have paid.

btw, artists have no clue about what we do and how we do it, especially when it comes to payments. ever heard of a sculpture being commissioned by the size or the kilo it will weigh? so it has to be explained to them that we are no different from the plumber or the electrician she has to call to get her home or studio fixed. X pesos an hour or Y pesos a day or Z pesos a week. Heh...

In the age of great new technology, we are what we is.

-vin

I didn't take the gig. I told her I could have provided good quality sound if I had recorded the tracks in the first place but had no means or knowledge to "clean" anything. It's the truth.

Gabi

Classy answer, good for you. Hopefully she has learned a valuable lesson for the next time.

Eric

Hi

your answer was appropriate but may have made her feel stupid which as Eric says may teach her a lesson.

That's all fine and what I would've done also is try to help her find someone else to help her out. This way she thinks you're still trying to help her even though you can't personally and she would also see you as a lovely person like you describe her. She would more than likely call you first next time.

Cheers

Peter Mega