MIC LAV BRA

FSBELLA

Hello - Everyone.

Hank Garfield Co. is at it again (distributed thru PSC) and sold at your local vendor.

he designed the MicBra-  adjustable LAV strap for your favorite mic. it comes in black & nude.

check it out at www.psc.com - cost $14.95, every mixer should have them in there kit

HAPPY  FRIDAY  THE 13/th

• 3 weeks later...

I emailed PSC with some questions about this and never got an answer.  Will have to call them I guess.

Bernie

where are you located?  retailers have them in stock to look at.

ao

(i have two sets but have not used them yet...)

where are you located?  retailers have them in stock to look at.

ao

(i have two sets but have not used them yet...)

I'm in St.Paul/Minneapolis.  Cinequipt would be the dealer.  Haven't gotten over there yet to see if they have them yet.  Usually items like this have to be ordered in, but they might have them in stock.

Bernie 

Photos in situ showing what you mean would be very cool, Chris. I'm having a difficult time imagining what this device gets me that I don't already have...

-- Jan

I was wondering if these would be an answer to the hairy chest with just tee shirt factor.  I use a Tram or Sonotrim or B6 up around the collar in these situations and usually have pretty good results.  The only problems are the sound is a bit throaty that way, and doesn't afford much wind protection outdoors.  Was hoping this would work to get the mic into the man cleavage area without tearing off the chest hair afterwards.

Bernie

I'd post pictures, but my rigs are very simple; too simple to bother posting pix of.

Cos-11's are typically in the rubber mount with Topstick on the back and affixed either to the skin or wardrobe; and if active or sweaty, an extra piece of Transpore just below the rubber mount, for security. I have alcohol pads for the recently-lotioned.

Ties are typically Cos-11's with Joe's Sticky Stuff, and tacked to the back of the shirt with Transpore if they're wearing a jacket. If no jacket, cable is dropped down the front of the shirt.

B-6's are Transpored or Moleskinned to skin or wardrobe, or poked out through a sweater or buttonhole, affixed in place with Transpore.

Just sold the last of the Trim's, but used to use vampires quite a bit, or small mic-sized piece of Topstick to the non-grill part of the mic, stuck to clothing. For ties, used a vampire with the tines pulled off, wrapped at the bottom with black moleskin just enough to let the mic breathe. For wind, poked some foam between the mic and the clip.

Tee shirts on men -- if very tight and no man boobs -- are B-6's Transpored or Moleskinned along the neckline to the shoulder and cable dropped down the side. With man-cleavage and hair, I make a nice bed of transpore tape, and show the fellas that I have adhesive remover pads that will take a little worthwhile time, and assure them that it will not hurt (much) nor cause them (much) loss of hair. I also keep handy some baby wipes so they're not greasy and mucking up the wardrobe afterward.

Haven't tried using any loops in cables in any lav rigs since very early days after having read that article where they recommend the gaff tape triangle mount, too. Both of those ideas bought me nothing but trouble.

RE: the Lav Bra, my guess is that guys won't easily cotton to having this around their chests. But hey...for $15 it's worth a try.

Been meaning to type this up for a while. Thanks for the impetus.

-- Jan

• 2 weeks later...

Jan,

Here are two photos of the actual rig. They are great for scenes with T-shirts, or heavy activity and even sweaty actors. The mic stays secure in the "bra" and no fears of the adhesive or your mount falling off in the middle of a take because the actor sweats like a bull.

Nifty! and is clothing rubbing against the Lav-Bra giving you problems? or hairy chest..  I'm still not shure how much noise is acceptable, thus I always try to eliminate all rubbing noise (not only the clothing rustle against the head of the lav) fixating everything.. though most of the times I leave the cable relaxed.. ehm, yeah..

Looks like a swell solution for the hairy chest and sweaty types..

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Richard,

Just purchased a set to try on my very active home improvement show.  Do you strap it across the top of the chest or underneath the chest?  I tried it briefly last week and the strap was moving around on the guy.  He then changed shirts to a polo so I didn't need it anymore, but it was bugging him beforehand.  Do you use any tape anywhere to keep it in place?

Thanks,

Bernie

Jan,

Here are two photos of the actual rig. They are great for scenes with T-shirts, or heavy activity and even sweaty actors. The mic stays secure in the "bra" and no fears of the adhesive or your mount falling off in the middle of a take because the actor sweats like a bull.

I would center it on the breast bone (sternum). The same as you would if you placed the lav directly on an actor's chest. That's a natural indentation of the chest and helps to hide it. So just below the 'man boobs' to be specific.

If it's tight enough you should not need any tape, but if you are nervous about it slipping, then a piece or two around the back of the strap.

RL