Will 788t and CL8 almost substitute 744t and 552 mixer?

RadoStefanov

How many people have experienced heat lockups and other related issues with the SD788t  

54 members have voted

1. 1. How many people have experienced heat lockups and other related issues with the SD788t

• I have on many occasions!
    • I have once or twice.
    • I have never experienced issues.
    • I have other issues with it.
    • No issues with the 788t SSD

I have a client that owes me a lot of cash that he does not have.

Our agreement was cash or a check.

He is proposing to use a credit card to buy me something and give me 30% discount.

I have 744t and mixpre and was thinking to get the 552 but am kind of tempted to get more channels. "very often I record acoustic music"

Here is the question: Will cl8 substitute a 552 for mixing?

I would like answers from 788t cl8 users only.

Thanks

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm sounds scary. It would be hard to separate with my beloved 744t and jump in to the 788t unknown.

Thanks Oleg. I always respect your opinion.

On another not. what if I get the Fusion? Does it have variable pan?

Call time .

Whata grate day.

She takes me out ,

Hard ,shining, gray.

I look grate.

I get respect.

My hot buttons make her gently sweat.

Quick sweet spot research.

Oh Yehh,, it sounds perfect .

Count down.

I have ok .

The lips in action.

All me is ready for perfection.

The waves come in, I almost there.

Twenty two times ...that's all I need and care.

Fade out

Fade in 2 minutes later

Oh god, its overheat again !!!

Slow media and freeze !!!

She cold as ice , pools out the Zoom and makes me get I"m out of BIZ.

Oh what a shame to be replaced with 30 bucks without grace.

My phantom dead and so my dream To come together as a team

now replace I with 788:-)

I own the 788T/CL8 combo.  I also have a 744T/302.  None have shut down on me.

The 788T is useful if you need the track count, but if not I would go get a used 442.  He can buy it on eBay/Paypal with his card.  The limiters on the 552 and 788T are of a different design, and frankly I think they suck.  If you are dealing with an unpredictable source, then I would stick with the better limiters on the 442/744T

The Fusion might be a good choice for you, but there is the higher purchase price and "accessory" cost to contend with.

For music, which is more predictable I suppose, then the 788T/CL8 combo would be great.  For dialog, you end up recording at lower levels to compensate for the poor performance of the new limiter design.  I suppose that's ok at 24 bit, but not the way I like to do things.

Robert

I don't think 8 chan is enough for a rig devoted to music recording, and the great portability of of the 788 you are paying for isn't needed for 99% of music work.  If you need 8 chan (or more than 4 anyhow) for dialog/portable/video audio, then the 788 would be great.  The  combo of the 744 and the 552 is good too, but if your scheme is to have the 552 be tracks 5+6 w/ the 744T being tracks 1-4, you are letting yourself  in for a lot of renaming and refoldering and explaining of what you are doing to post--it's really a lot better to have all the files for a scene named the same and managed together.  I'd go for the 8 ch machine no matter which one it is if you need more than 4 tracks.

phil p

The limiters on the 552 and 788T are of a different design, and frankly I think they suck.  If you are dealing with an unpredictable source, then I would stick with the better limiters on the 442/744T......... For dialog, you end up recording at lower levels to compensate for the poor performance of the new limiter design.  I suppose that's ok at 24 bit, but not the way I like to do things.

Robert

Thanks Robert that's very useful to know.

Mick

I recently bought a 552 ($2900), thinking I could add the 744t ($4000) and have a great set-up with 5 iso tracks (obviously not the same type since the 552 max's at 96/24).

BUT...a 788t with CL-8 costs just the same, with 8/10/12 tracks (however you choose to set it), you can use the combo as mixer only if needed (overkill...yes), it gives you higher quality files, etc.

In my opinion, the math made the decision for me. I'll be selling the 552 soon.

I have an RME Fireface800, RME octomic, 3 2channel Apogee miniMPs" not the crapy MINIMEs".

18 channels of very good sound.

I try to record acoustic music only and sometimes will track jazz combos. 8 channels is plenty for that purpose.

I don't think 8 chan is enough for a rig devoted to music recording, and the great portability of of the 788 you are paying for isn't needed for 99% of music work.  If you need 8 chan (or more than 4 anyhow) for dialog/portable/video audio, then the 788 would be great.  The  combo of the 744 and the 552 is the 552 be tracks 5+6 w/ the 744T being tracks 1-4, you are letting  yourself  in for a lot of renaming and refoldering and explaining of whagood too, but if your scheme is to have t you are doing to post--it's really a lot better to have all the files for a scene named the same and managed together.  I'd go for the 8 ch machine no matter which one it is if you need more than 4 tracks.

phil p

What do you mean by higher quality files?

Please clarify.

I recently bought a 552 ($2900), thinking I could add the 744t ($4000) and have a great set-up with 5 iso tracks (obviously not the same type since the 552 max's at 96/24).

BUT...a 788t with CL-8 costs just the same, with 8/10/12 tracks (however you choose to set it), you can use the combo as mixer only if needed (overkill...yes), it gives you higher quality files, etc.

In my opinion, the math made the decision for me. I'll be selling the 552 soon.

I am trying to establish my self in Las Vegas NV so any heat issues are of great concern .

At the moment 4:54pm/16:54 the temperature is around 40C/104F and this is unusually low for the season.

Call time .

Whata grate day.

She takes me out ,

Hard ,shining, gray.

I look grate.

I get respect.

My hot buttons make her gently sweat.

Quick sweet spot research.

Oh Yehh,, it sounds perfect .

Count down.

I have ok .

The lips in action.

All me is ready for perfection.

The waves come in, I almost there.

Twenty two times ...that's all I need and care.

Fade out

Fade in 2 minutes later

Oh god, its overheat again !!!

Slow media and freeze !!!

She cold as ice , pools out the Zoom and makes me get I"m out of BIZ.

Oh what a shame to be replaced with 30 bucks without grace.

My phantom dead and so my dream To come together as a team

now replace I with 788:-)

If I buy a 442 would SD still service it since it is discontinued?

I own the 788T/CL8 combo.  I also have a 744T/302.  None have shut down on me.

The 788T is useful if you need the track count, but if not I would go get a used 442.  He can buy it on eBay/Paypal with his card.  The limiters on the 552 and 788T are of a different design, and frankly I think they suck.  If you are dealing with an unpredictable source, then I would stick with the better limiters on the 442/744T

The Fusion might be a good choice for you, but there is the higher purchase price and "accessory" cost to contend with.

For music, which is more predictable I suppose, then the 788T/CL8 combo would be great.  For dialog, you end up recording at lower levels to compensate for the poor performance of the new limiter design.  I suppose that's ok at 24 bit, but not the way I like to do things.

Robert

If I buy a 442 would SD still service it since it is discontinued?

Yes Sound Devices will continue to service it for many years to come. Most our sound equipment companies continue to support older gear. As an example Lectrosonics services for 211 systems with 100 percent support

I have an RME Fireface800, RME octomic, 3 2channel Apogee miniMPs" not the crapy MINIMEs".

18 channels of very good sound.

I try to record acoustic music only and sometimes will track jazz combos. 8 channels is plenty for that purpose.

We disagree then on 8 chan being enough, although the 8 ch of a 788 is quite good.  Re servicing the 442, I'd be very surprised if they didn't since there are so many out there, but best to ask SD.  How about a 442+788 if you don't like the 552 limiters?  It is also true that the Zax recorders can do most of what that combo can do, in one box.  And there have been too many heat complaints about the 788 to ignore....

Philip Perkins

When recording acoustic music I will very often put 2 overheads and one mic 2 feet in front of the kick.

If the drummer does not have the dynamics to play acoustic well.... tough luck.

He has to live with a record that sucks. I recorded the drummer of PINK Martini guy called Martin.

He was so good and the drums were so well tuned that I used a stereo AB spaced overheads tlm 103s.

Sounded amazing.

So 3 mics for drums.

1 bass

1 trumpet/sax or others

2 piano or Rhodes

1 vocal

sometimes 1 for guitar then I can take 1 from the piano

The reason I try to record only acoustic music lately is because I am sick of making somebody sound good.

You set you equipment and I capture what it comes out of it.

But I don't want to hijack the topic.

We disagree then on 8 chan being enough,

Philip Perkins

you can make any track go left  or right on mix tracks , even in a hot weather :-)

No offense Oleg, but do you usually get gigs in hell or something?  You're the only one I see continuously talk about the overheat issues.  I thought my 702T was overheating in the 105-110 weather on my last film, but turns out it was the crappy Lacie Rugged drive locking up my SD.

As for the survey above, would it be safe to add overheating differences between 788T and 788T SSD users?  Wouldn't the SSD model become more resilient to heat compared to the typical hard drive characteristics of what the 788T has?

When recording acoustic music I will very often put 2 overheads and one mic 2 feet in front of the kick.

If the drummer does not have the dynamics to play acoustic well.... tough luck.

He has to live with a record that sucks. I recorded the drummer of PINK Martini guy called Martin.

He was so good and the drums were so well tuned that I used a stereo AB spaced overheads tlm 103s.

Sounded amazing.

So 3 mics for drums.

1 bass

1 trumpet/sax or others

2 piano or Rhodes

1 vocal

sometimes 1 for guitar then I can take 1 from the piano

The reason I try to record only acoustic music lately is because I am sick of making somebody sound good.

You set you equipment and I capture what it comes out of it.

But I don't want to hijack the topic.

Me neither, but I never respond to clients with the phrase "tough luck"!  I try to get what they need AND make them sound as good as I can--I figure that's my job, no matter how many inputs I'm rolling on!

Philip Perkins

DO not forget where Oleg lives... The middle East.

No offense Oleg, but do you usually get gigs in hell or something?  You're the only one I see continuously talk about the overheat issues.  I thought my 702T was overheating in the 105-110 weather on my last film, but turns out it was the crappy Lacie Rugged drive locking up my SD.

As for the survey above, would it be safe to add overheating differences between 788T and 788T SSD users?  Wouldn't the SSD model become more resilient to heat compared to the typical hard drive characteristics of what the 788T has?

That is the reason I am trying to change professions.

Have you ever heard an actor saying: I want my voice to be loader then the other actors voices!?

Or: My voice is tuned!!! Your gear is broken.

Or: This room makes my voice sound like shit.

Or: You can change this sentence in mix.

I CAN NOT STAND MUSICIANS.

Me neither, but I never respond to clients with the phrase "tough luck"!  I try to get what they need AND make them sound as good as I can--I figure that's my job, no matter how many inputs I'm rolling on!

Philip Perkins

To the Americans +50 Celsius is 122 Fahrenheit.

No offence , my gear just work hard and 2 times more then average (rentals ) and yes it could be + 50 in the shade in some arias , and yes we are talking much more in the bag then on a cart .

By the way  my friends ssd  died ( the internal hd ) as well  while the current  summer (35 in shade , probaly 70 in the bag , ) .

and of course we forget how shy people say something bad about the gear they own

Zack remember , bad things with 788 happens only to people outside  USA , if you live in , i guess it wont ever :-)

" Why did they discontinue the 442? "

replaced it with the 552.

The 552 is a great replacement, but as with many replacements produced by many companies as designs and technology changes, sometimes specific features are "upgraded" for one reason or another, but provide weaker performance.  Overall, the 552 is amazing, but I still believe the new limiters employed by the newer SD machines are FAR inferior to their old design.