Will 788t and CL8 almost substitute 744t and 552 mixer?

RadoStefanov

How many people have experienced heat lockups and other related issues with the SD788t  

54 members have voted

1. 1. How many people have experienced heat lockups and other related issues with the SD788t

• I have on many occasions!
    • I have once or twice.
    • I have never experienced issues.
    • I have other issues with it.
    • No issues with the 788t SSD

FYI: the Neve portico is about $2k...

I wanted to keep the high end theme going, to keep up with those upscale Whole Foods organic peas.  Some say a generic pack from Foodland would serve the same purpose, but I'm sure the specific heat of the organic peas outperform the Foodland brand.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know about 552 , but  788 does have digital domain limiters ( post fader (mix , auxiliry) ) so better check out how does it sounds without , also sd never tell us what settings that limiter  ,if it acts as the pre fader or in any different way .

that is essential as the mix bus if you use with cl-8/9  is what goes into the movie ,

Thanks Oleg - you are right. I forgot to mention that in addition to the analog input limiters, there are also limiters on each channel post-fade and also on the mix and auxillary mix busses. The limiter settings are global - they affect pre-fade, post fade and mix busses.

Paul

• 2 months later...

Sorry for revisiting this post.

Jon,

How does the limiter work if using digital MKH8040 AES microphone?

I took the bait.

The digital section of the 552 is after the analog section, including mixing. Analog limiting for both the input limiters and bus limiters (there are seven limiter circuits in a 552).

AES42 mics have to accommodate for preamp overload in the mic. I don't specifically know about the Sennheisers until I play with the one they gave us for AES. For the Schoeps, their gain structure is such that you can't overload them. The attached recorder is essentially a bit bucket for their AES stream.

Thanks Jon.

I do not remember if I asked you before but here ago again:

Any significant power diference between 48V and AES42?

I guess my question is :

Is AES42 more efficient then 48V

AES42 mics have to accommodate for preamp overload in the mic. I don't specifically know about the Sennheisers until I play with the one they gave us for AES. For the Schoeps, their gain structure is such that you can't overload them. The attached recorder is essentially a bit bucket for their AES stream.

from looking at the specs and from hearing from zaxcom about using an aes42 mic wirelessly, the aes42 requires significantly more power than a traditional p48 mic.

for example.

the super CMIT requires 170ma at 10v or 1.7Watts

the CMIT5U requires 4.4ma at 48v or 0.2 Watts

so the super CMIT is almost 10 times more power hungry, though as it generates a bit of heat, im sure it will do fine in very cold conditions ;-)

cant say ive particularly noticed any significant change in battery life when using the super CMIT, though as i am using a 788, which is a power hungry machine anyway, i'm less likely notice. i still get through 2-3 lithium np1s in a typical day.

as well as the price difference, there is also the features offered.

the noise cancelling with the super CMIT or dynamics and remote control with the some of the Neumann mics.

Not good.

from looking at the specs and from hearing from zaxcom about using an aes42 mic wirelessly, the aes42 requires significantly more power than a traditional p48 mic.

for example.

the super CMIT requires 170ma at 10v or 1.7Watts

the CMIT5U requires 4.4ma at 48v or 0.2 Watts

so the super CMIT is almost 10 times more power hungry, though as it generates a bit of heat, im sure it will do fine in very cold conditions ;-)

as well as the price difference, there is also the features offered.

the noise cancelling with the super CMIT or dynamics and remote control with the some of the Neumann mics.

" Not good. "

what is not good??

the Super CMIT is a terrific product!

the 788T is a terrific product!

it took me less time to look up the same data as rich than it takes to type a reply, but I'm not into doing other folks' homework...

as the 788T typically draws a lot more power, over 1 amp, the additional power of an AES 42 mic over a P48 (10ma max) mic will not be a major factor in typical battery life, especially if using digital input does actually reduce some of the current drawn by the circuitry of the recorder.

the super CMIT is great - i love how it can help with a/c noise, reverberant spaces and other noise beyond my control

and i think the 788 is great as well, its perfect for how i like to work. but i have been fortunate enough to not have had the problems Oleg has had with his 788's.

i hadnt considered the preamps not being powered when using the aes42 and looked at the overall power consumption, rather than just that of the mic. but not having the proper equipment to test it, i shall happily continue using my 788 and super CMIT until i use all my NP1's before the shooting day is done, then pine for my 442 and CS3e :-)