Will 788t and CL8 almost substitute 744t and 552 mixer?

RadoStefanov

How many people have experienced heat lockups and other related issues with the SD788t  

54 members have voted

1. 1. How many people have experienced heat lockups and other related issues with the SD788t

• I have on many occasions!
    • I have once or twice.
    • I have never experienced issues.
    • I have other issues with it.
    • No issues with the 788t SSD

" the power consumption is not only your batteries but also the heat the device generates "

well, yes, and no..

power consumption is what is drawn out of the power source (measure this with VOM.

heat is usually a byproduct, and in most cases represents wasted, though consumed, power in doing whatever the voltage was supplied to do.

unfortunately, most of our electronics (I'm speaking generally) are not efficient and generate heat; computers generate heat, wireless mic's generate heat, amplifiers (audio and RF) all generate heat, thus fans, slots, and heat sinks!

the laws of physics and the limits of our technology apply.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

by the way rado , the best would be check for 2 mics as ato d converters usually comes as dual ato d , so the real power consumption could be even worse for analog microphone if it alone :-)

i can put my money that the digital mic has less  overall  power consumption then regular mic

I hope so.

• 1 year later...

I'm glad I stumbled onto this thread..

So, what is the final vote??

788T w/ CL-8?

or..

744T w/ 552?

It's been a year-and-a-half since the last post on this thread.. have any opinions changed?

Is the 788/CL-8 combo a good buy?

I was really considering the Zaxcom Nomad to do this duty. Instead I ended up getting a second 788T so I can have a 788T on the cart and a 788T/CL8 in the bag. Love the setup the only gripe is how power hungry it is :-(.... I had a 744T/442 prior and liked it, but It does leave things to be desired compared to the 788T/Cl8 (Iso + mix on one file for instance) + Less wires in the bag + less weight

I think the 788t is an amazing machine, and if you have the chance to get one I suggest you do. If you do a lot of reality, a lot of clients will hire you based on the fact that you have a 788t, even if other equipment is perfectly adequate. I have a strong foothold in a local production company and they continually tell me that Im their number one guy, and that all started happening as soon as I got a 788T and Lectros.

On the other hand, that big of a rig is often times unnecessary and I find myself more and more removing the CL-8, and putting the 788t in a smaller bag with only three Lectro rx, in an effort to be more portable and not kill my back. So it is a toss up, but if you already have a 744t, and Nomad, a 788t would be a happy welcome into that family! I know Im planning on getting a Nomad at some point...!

The more I research this (and get everyone's input) the more the 788/CL8 looks like a good way to go.

Jon, no, I don't have a Zaxcom, or even a 744 (but I frequently use/borrow one) but still, the 788 could certainly be useful should I ever encounter the need for the additional tracks. I too am a fan of the Lectro Rx. Coin tossing between saving $ with the 200 Series or spending a little more on the 400/411.

Thank you all for the great insight and experienced knowledge.

I use it as a single system mixer as well, but I always record backup ISOs. Ive run into many situations where the camera a production chose to use was cheap and had issues that affected the audio, and of course the company gets back to me several months later asking if I happened to record the audio and still have it. So it has saved many a production.

Coin tossing between saving $ with the 200 Series or spending a little more on the 400/411.

I have both 411s and 211s and can say that they are both fantastic Rx's. If you need to save money, using a 211 is a good way to go. I would advise against getting a 201 or 401 since those seem to be used primarily as camera hops, have fixed antennae, and do not have front end tracking. I see a lot of um200/ucr211 combos selling at very reasonable rates on ebay and this forum, and think that they are a good way to go if you want to jump into getting Lectros on a budget.