Sony 7506 and wind noise

Michael P Clark

OK, I've been using Sony's most of my career and never really noticed this phenomena until the last year or so. Freaked me out when I started to notice it, because I obviously thought it was coming down the pipeline. But a slight turn of the head and it was gone. Now, I could just position myself differently everytime I notice it, but what fun is that.  And it doesn't always go away in higher winds.  Has anyone else noticed this, and have you done anything to alieviate it? ear muffs? different cushions? I like to use the Sony's on over-the-shoulder work, and save the Ultrasones for the studio, ever since I broke my other Ultrasones on an EFP gig. Bt rethinking that approach if I can't fix this issue. Anyone else? Maybe I can put a Rycote "dog" on them:)

Mike

Hi Mike,

I have been battling this phenomenon all my working history, no matter what brand of phones used. I live and work in windy locations often.

The  only real defence I have found is to have a jacket with a hood of some sort attached when the wind comes up.

Not so handy when it's hot out, but OK spring, fall winter. Maybe a light hoody in the summer.

Jim Rillie

Guest soundchris

Go for Sennheiser HD280 Pro's and you can kiss bleeding wind noise goodbye!

Hi Michael!

Same here! I worked with Sony-7506 for a couple of years with the problems you mentioned above. Since I switched to Sennheiser HD-280 I have never had these probs.

Cheers

Christian, Berlin

Hi Michael!

Same here! I worked with Sony-7506 for a couple of years with the problems you mentioned above. Since I switched to Sennheiser HD-280 I have never had these probs.

Cheers

Christian, Berlin

I also used 7506 for years, and for the past two years or so have been using the HD-25 Sennheisers which have much more attenuation of outside noises (mid range anyways)-I would say in my imaginary guessing real-world terms they are 10dB more isolating than 7506's...

I think what Mike was referring to is the sound of the wind blowing on the housing of the phones, which I have found still exists, regardless of the vastly increased attenuation of outside noises, due to better isolated phones. That's why I am suggesting coverage rather than buying new phones, although I do love the HD-25's.

Jim Rillie

I think what Mike was referring to is the sound of the wind blowing on the housing of the phones, which I have found still exists, regardless of the vastly increased attenuation of outside noises, due to better isolated phones. That's why I am suggesting coverage rather than buying new phones, although I do love the HD-25's.

Jim Rillie

Yes!! I need rycotes for my headhones:)

Guest Jeffrey Colon

Hello Michael, all

This is an interesting thread... actually hearing wind buffeting around the cans or just in my ears is usually when I start to become concerned about buffeting on the Mics themselves.  If it is a truly un-workable situation, I will point out to the director that when he/she can hear wind in their ears chances are the microphone will be affected... I have done quite a bit of work on the water in windy conditions and the SennMZW windmuffs on the boom are good up to about 15kts.  The upside of a windy day is if any network "talent" thinks their hair is blowing around, the location will move to the leeward side or go interior...I would love to hear from a Chicago mixer about this... Sorry to go OT...maybe I'll start a topic about working in the breeze... J

Guest soundchris

Hello Michael, all

snip

Sorry to go OT...maybe I'll start a topic about working in the breeze... J

What about in ear monitors?

I used shure E3 UNDER my cans last fall on the westcoast of Ireland in really windy conditions.

they give an isolation of about 25 dBs +the cans...

Cheers

Christian

Been reading and occasionally posting on RAMPS for a few years. This is my first post here after lurking for a while. Pretty cool. Thanks Jeff!Glad to see that others have the same issues with the cans and wind noise. One more reason to be active on these boards. I've used the Sonys, Beyer DT770, Senn 280, and Ultrasone, but the best I've done on windy outdoor stuff is with the Westone/custom-mold inears that I use in my other life as a drummer. They settle right down into the ear canal, nothing sticks out to create the wind turbulence that drives me nuts.