SMa on the fritz

Phil Palmer

Anyone have this happen?  We went to change the battery and when powering back up, it started scrolling through frequencies.  No buttons would work.  Had to pop the battery out to reset, but it never came back.  It would lock up and not work at all.  Needs to go back to the maker...

Video of scrolling:

http://flic.kr/p/8sjgE3

Phil,

I have had a similar issue with the buttons.  When sent back to Lectro (on both occasions) I was informed the boards were corroded and required replacement at about $500+ each. 

Please see the other thread regarding sweat in the SM being the culprit, I believe.

I am now having the boots put on my mics, which I never used previously, since the connector is a vulnerable area.  I am also using moleskin or the old neoprene sleeves which used to be issued with the SM to separate the transmitter from the skin of sweaty actors if I am using the clips, because I believe it's possible sweat can seep through the screws.  I am using ankle placement whenever I can to also reduce this issue.

Robert

Although I haven't had this specific issue I have had several SMa's go for a swim and otherwise need repair.  I've had great service by Jerry at Jaycee Communications, Lectro's only other place to get warranty repair work done in the US.  I've never had to wait for more than a few days for him to turn around any repair or mod I've asked him to do, vs sending to Lectro has always meant a wait of a few weeks in my experience.  Give him a call:

Jerry (718) 428-7818

www.lectrorepair.com

Hope this helps.

Alex

I've never had to wait for more than a few days for him to turn around any repair or mod I've asked him to do, vs sending to Lectro has always meant a wait of a few weeks in my experience.  Give him a call:

Jerry (718) 428-7818

www.lectrorepair.com

Good to know Alex thanks, The factory always does a great job but turnaround can be a bit long at times. I am just curious what sorts of Mods you have had done to your units

Good to know Alex thanks, The factory always does a great job but turnaround can be a bit long at times. I am just curious what sorts of Mods you have had done to your units

The most recent modification I asked him to do for me was to re-block/re-tune my Lectro UMC16B to blocks 19-26 from its original 21-29.  He's a very knowledgeable engineer and so if you've got something in mind ask him and I'm sure he'd be happy to help if he can.