VDB pole - completely jammed

soundtrane

Vin, is this one of the eccentric 1/4-turn type VdB poles (no longer made)? If so, they can usually be loosed and operate normally again, but there are a few tricks. The eccentric type locking collars will lock in either directions, and you need to know which way they have locked in order to know which direction to turn them to unlock them. The have an index mark to help determine this. Once it has been determined which direction to unlock them you probably need to heat  the collar (like from a heat shrink gun) to enlarge and loosen the collar enough to turn it. Then use soft jaw pliers to grip the collar and loosen it.

Glen Trew

• 1 year later...

Ah...... Thats better! that pole has been sitting in the corner for 5 years waiting to be loosened! An Older Sound guy told me not to get rid of it and that he knew how to free it up, but I lost contact with him. Heat gun and a patient plier manner was all that was needed. Index marks where there but hard to spot. Only had to guess on one section.

Thanks guys,

Jerry.

I'm glad you got it unstuck. I had my 1/4-turn type VDB lock up years ago, and had all the burly grips and electrics fight over who could unlock it first. If I recall, they all failed and I ended up getting it unstuck some how...

On a related note... does anyone know if you can still get the 1/4-turn changed out for the standard locks?

Scott

I have a non-locking collar vdb. I barely ever even touch the lockers. I just slide the sections and they stay in place just enough. I can't imagine dealing with lockers anymore. Do the newer Manufactured vdb poles do this? Are there any downsides to never using the lockers over the long term?