Zaxcom QRX-100 my first impressions

Jack Norflus

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So just to update I've used the QRX 100 on several shoots and so far and the RF performance has been rock solid.

Regarding RF spray - I've been using the filtering antenna and I haven't had any issues of the Zaxcom TRX 900 transmitter getting into the Lectrosonic receivers in my bag at all.

Also I have become a big fan of the LED's on the rear of the unit - it has been great to have visual confirmation that the audio is getting to the camera. I didn't think that this feature would as much of an asset as it is -  but I love it. And they are quite bright, I was shooting in Central Park today - bright sunny day - and I had no issues seeing the LED's from a good distance away. And if needed there is a menu setting that allows you to variably dim them down as well.

All in all the QRX 100 has been a great investment - and when the time code / IFB feature becomes available that would, in my opinion, put this system over the top.

Jack 

So just another quick followup on the QRX-100 - Zaxcom just updated the scan feature on the QRX.

Now when you have the QRX scan for a frequency you get a visual map of the units frequency range and where in the block there is RF, and how strong it is. This is not too different from Lectrosonics scan map. But the big difference is then the QRX will recommend the best frequency for you to use. You can then accept that frequency or then hit a button and QRX will give you another option which once again you can take or look further. And if you are using two transmiters, for 4 channel receive mode, QRX will know what frequency the other channel is set at and choose a frequency that will coordinate with it.

Zaxcom also updated the way the LEDs on the back of the unit operates. Now if the QRX is receiving a RF signal but no audio you get a blue LED representing that it is receiving a signal but no audio - then when audio is received the blue LED will turn green to show that audio is being received.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not 100% clear on what this means. Can the QRX-100 receive signals from 4 separate mono transmitters, or do you need stereo transmitters to get 3 or 4 channels?

The QRX can receive signal from one or two transmiters.

So:

You can use one mono transmiter to give you one channel

or

You can use two mono OR one stereo transmiter to give you two channels

or

You can use one mono AND one stereo to give you three channels

or

You can use two stereo transmiters to give you four channels

The QRX can receive signal from one or two transmiters.

So:

You can use one mono transmiter to give you one channel

or

You can use two mono OR one stereo transmiter to give you two channels

or

You can use one mono AND one stereo to give you three channels

or

You can use two stereo transmiters to give you four channels

OK, that's what I thought. Glenn's wording just had me a bit confused.

" the receiver is now true diversity "

there are lots of ways to impliment diversity, and all of them are "true diversity"...

receiver diversity means there are two separate receivers receiving the same signal, at the same time, and part of implimenting a receiver diversity system is the comparison-selection circuitry to select and output the "best" signal as that "diversity receiver's" single output.

if there are two receivers each receiving a different signal, that is dual receivers, and not necessarily diversity. if there are two antennae (sic) and one goes to each RX, that is also not necessarily diversity.  If two antennae (sic) are split up and both antennas are fed to both receiver diversity receivers, then you have dual receiver diversity, which requires 4 RX's and 2 comparator-selector units.

• 1 month later...

About the QRX-100, I read somewhere:

Single mode (true diversity) enables both receivers to work together. This results in a 4 dB increase in sensitivity over Dual mode, which is about a 30% increase in range. In addition, this mode is able to correct a ton of reception errors.

Bringing that one up with one question: how would it compare to the RX900 in terms of range using the QRX as a mono receiver (single mode) ?

" I read somewhere:

Quote  "

where??

" Single mode (true diversity) enables both receivers to work together. "

first of all, I'll let the "true diversity" part slide, as you claim to be quoting...

but in dual RX diversity receptions, which you are think of, the two RX's work independently, and the "better one" is selected by the diversity switching... 

actual range in operation is a complex issue involving many variables, but typically the most important aspect with any quality, professional equipment will be antennae (sic) and coax connecting them (loss).

actual range in operation is a complex issue involving many variables, but typically the most important aspect with any quality, professional equipment will be antennae (sic) and coax connecting them (loss).

I beg of you, my friend, please just use the word antennas instead of "antennae (sic)".

Thanks,

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody considered using a zaxpaq with one of their QRX100s outfitted with an IFB board? Would this help with running out the zaxpaq closer to set for reception issues and possibly doubling as improved IFB reception for a boom op? Also would you still be able to use an IFB100 on the cart simultaneously to control zaxnet functions? how would this work having two IFB transmitters? Would the TRX942 be able to choose the closer IFB transmitter while still receiving control from the cart?

We are getting close to releasing the QRX100 with the option board. The QRX100 has been out for the last 2-3 months. In finishing the option board we have been able to incorporate the full IFB100 functionality.  You can have the option board fitted to one of the QRX100s in the Zaxpaq. You would be able to locate it on set to receive 6 separate transmitters. If you run the time code signal and IFB audio from the Deva or Fusion back to the QRX option board you will have full Zax-net functionality including remote control and virtual multi-track recording with Zaxcom wireless.

Glenn

Glenn

If I were to have an IFB100 on the cart, and needed to run a QRX100 with IFB board closer to the set, would the QRX serve any purpose in bettering my IFB range? or would I need to power off my IFB100 and lose zaxnet control at the cart?

I guess my question is, is there any benefit in purchasing this option, when my zaxpaq will be primarily used for cart work. The IFB100 has a 100mw output whereas the option board for the QRX is 50mw. I'm guessing this may not be enough IFB range for cart work?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Mike!

I was just browsing the new 2010 edition of the Zaxcom wireless manual (what can I say I was bored!) and saw an interesting section you should read called "IFB voting mode" or some such..  It describes a feature to utilize two separate IFB units to expand range.  In this scenario the remote (further from cart) IFB is set to 2MHz above the primary IFB unit and then they act in unison to hand off communications back and forth as receiving units come closer to one or the other..  Interesting feature if I understand it right.

But on the other hand it occurred to me that it may make more sense to a 2.4GHz amplifier instead.  Like a few members here have done, to improve your zaxnet range.  That way you don't have to run another item out away from the cart.

The Zaxcom wireless manual is a beast!  I still wish that there were separate manuals for each unit that were a little better organized, but I'm starting to see why they've chosen to clump them all in one huge document as they all work together via ZaxNet wirelessly now like some kind of scifi hive-mind.  Still waiting for the QRX100 manual but maybe there won't be one??