Zaxcom QRX-100 my first impressions

Jack Norflus

Still waiting for the QRX100 manual but maybe there won't be one??

Derek,

I know there is a QRX manual on the way soon.

But believe me the QRX is very self intuitive and user friendly - and you can very successfully operate the unit without a manual. I've been using the QRX for several months now without an issue.

Jack

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never used the voting feature but I do use a 2.4 gig amp.  When the amp and antenna are properly set up my ifb range is pretty much equal to my UHF range.  The set up is critical because there is so much cable loss at 2.4 gig.  I have my amp actually attached to my 2.4 gig antenna (the antenna is made to accept the amp.  I guess this is a common issue).  The amp came with a small DC injector.  This allows the power for the amp to be carried over the antenna cable so an additional power cable is not needed. 

Check out L-Com

http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=25982

If you buy the entire kit you do not need FCC approval or a ham license to purchase the items.  Also note, the amp kit uses Reverse Polarity connectors so you will also need to order proper cables for the amp.  If you order, ask for Mark deSousa in sales.  I've been trying to convince him that many film/audio people are using their gear.  The more they are aware of us the more they will be aware of our needs (like perhaps building the kits with normal polarity connectors!)

Best,

Billy Sarokin

Hey Mike!

I was just browsing the new 2010 edition of the Zaxcom wireless manual (what can I say I was bored!) and saw an interesting section you should read called "IFB voting mode" or some such..  It describes a feature to utilize two separate IFB units to expand range.  In this scenario the remote (further from cart) IFB is set to 2MHz above the primary IFB unit and then they act in unison to hand off communications back and forth as receiving units come closer to one or the other..  Interesting feature if I understand it right.

But on the other hand it occurred to me that it may make more sense to a 2.4GHz amplifier instead.  Like a few members here have done, to improve your zaxnet range.  That way you don't have to run another item out away from the cart.

The Zaxcom wireless manual is a beast!  I still wish that there were separate manuals for each unit that were a little better organized, but I'm starting to see why they've chosen to clump them all in one huge document as they all work together via ZaxNet wirelessly now like some kind of scifi hive-mind.  Still waiting for the QRX100 manual but maybe there won't be one??

Billy! How the heck have you been? Good to 'see' you.

Glad this discussion has evolved to include the IFB100 voting option since -- in a panic -- I bought a 2nd IFB100 after having blitzed the time code out connection by jamming the TX700 unit with its 48V power turned on...aw jeeze. Don't do that!

I wanted a backup, and thought the 2nd IFB100 might prove useful to more permanently set up a car rig/2nd unit/remote cart outfit, as well as offer an option for wider IFB coverage.

As when I first imagined making use of this voting functionality, I was a bit discouraged by having to arrange power (via NP1 cup) and audio via hard wire to the farthest unit. That arrangement seems less elegant that I'd wish. Putting it out there, since in this end-of-season-shooting, brain-addled state, I may be missing something simpler.

Maybe it's cat5 to carry power and audio to the most remote IFB100? Seems theoretically possible.

Just want to chime in that I've given the IFB100's 2.4GhZ antenna and amplifier rig big pushes in the last months, notably yesterday where the cart was in the parking lot and set, three stories up. Had line of sight to the windows... Later, when set moved to the middle of the old Catholic school building, away from windows, I had to move inside, directly under the set one floor up, but it worked well. Took me a couple tries to find a good spot to get from the street into a same-floor batting cage set (lots of chain link between set and cart), and found that farther away/antennas pointing through the open door was less good than nearer (as a bird flies, 15 yards) and through the concrete wall. Check. Still learn, and push the limits of the system.

Glenn was correct when he told me during a set visit that antenna height makes a lot of difference, as do proper-length cables/connectors without adapters. Worked hard to optimize both elements. Benefits of both, immediately obvious.

Haven't been posting much here as we've been working really hard, but read every day and benefit lots from the strength of the ongoing community here.

-- Jan

Hey Jan,

Always great to hear from you!  Glad you're busy.  Jackie?  If so, send my regards all around! 

Funny you mention chain link fences.  They are death to all radios.  I always cringe when we do big scenes in school yards with lots of 360 steadicam shots.  I always have to try to rig my antennas (for both ifb and uhf) above the fence.  Chain link fences/radio waves = water in bathtubs/drains.  It all goes away.  Sand too.  The Sahara sucked (for rf.  The camels kind of liked it though ;-)

Never tried the voting setup even though I have 2 ifb transmitters.  Your Cat 5 connection sounds promising.  I think the skinny cat 5 can handle the 12v current.  Let me know how it goes!

All the best for the season!

Billy

Billy! How the heck have you been? Good to 'see' you.

Glad this discussion has evolved to include the IFB100 voting option since -- in a panic -- I bought a 2nd IFB100 after having blitzed the time code out connection by jamming the TX700 unit with its 48V power turned on...aw jeeze. Don't do that!

I wanted a backup, and thought the 2nd IFB100 might prove useful to more permanently set up a car rig/2nd unit/remote cart outfit, as well as offer an option for wider IFB coverage.

As when I first imagined making use of this voting functionality, I was a bit discouraged by having to arrange power (via NP1 cup) and audio via hard wire to the farthest unit. That arrangement seems less elegant that I'd wish. Putting it out there, since in this end-of-season-shooting, brain-addled state, I may be missing something simpler.

Maybe it's cat5 to carry power and audio to the most remote IFB100? Seems theoretically possible.

Just want to chime in that I've given the IFB100's 2.4GhZ antenna and amplifier rig big pushes in the last months, notably yesterday where the cart was in the parking lot and set, three stories up. Had line of sight to the windows... Later, when set moved to the middle of the old Catholic school building, away from windows, I had to move inside, directly under the set one floor up, but it worked well. Took me a couple tries to find a good spot to get from the street into a same-floor batting cage set (lots of chain link between set and cart), and found that farther away/antennas pointing through the open door was less good than nearer (as a bird flies, 15 yards) and through the concrete wall. Check. Still learn, and push the limits of the system.

Glenn was correct when he told me during a set visit that antenna height makes a lot of difference, as do proper-length cables/connectors without adapters. Worked hard to optimize both elements. Benefits of both, immediately obvious.

Haven't been posting much here as we've been working really hard, but read every day and benefit lots from the strength of the ongoing community here.

-- Jan

• 5 years later...

Hello to everybody, my name is Marco Zambrano, I'm a sound mixer and boom operator located in Italy,

I know this is a quite old post, but I've been offered a zaxcom qrx100 with fib option and a couple of trx900la, in block 23.

It's my first time with zaxcom: I'm attracted by the recording and IFB capability, but I'm wondering if this system is still a good choice today, since the new wide band products are out.

Someone reported me that the new wideband series is the only one really reliable.

About the rf spray problems I couldn't find a clear answer: is a problem affecting the qrx100, too?

I'd very appreciate your opinions.

Thank you very much and have a nice day.