Schoeps CMR cable weirdness

Izen Ears

Ok so I recently purchased a pair of MK21 capsules and CMR cables to use for car scenes.  (it's a collette to TA5 - http://www.schoeps.de/en/products/cmr).  I used one with an SMQVa tx and it sounded weird.  Boxy and phasey and with a distinct hiss, similar to a mis-wired lav on a servo bias tx.

We tested it and found that if the antenna was touching the cable the hiss appeared (it wasn't quiet enough on set to hear if it sounded boxy also).  However if the cable was held a certain way the capsule sounded wonderful.  Sucks because I wanted to use the rig as a compact Schoeps plant, but now I'm gonna have to worry about proper position of the freakin cable? 

Reading, the USA Schoeps dealer has never heard of this issue.  Apparently hardly anyone in the US has these cables.  I feel like it's a power thing.  The tx was set to 1/4 watt, so perhaps that was the culprit I haven't had any downtime to properly test it again at 100mw.  Has anyone else had this happen or have any insight?  Perhaps there's a better wiring for servo bias txs?  Thanks,

Dan Izen

Some years ago, when the first SM showed up, we tried to use it with a Denecke supply for a wireless plant CMC6/41. I remember the same kind of thing happening.

Don't know if it's related. I remember sending in the SM to Lectro, because it didn't recover.  We did the same thing one other time, with the same result. Never tried it again.

Robert