Tried to do a live recording with nagra yesterday, and waking up with soreness all over the body

Koyama

The story is that I carried my nagra iv-stc, microphones and cables, walked for a mile, and then used it to record a chamber piece with me (viola) and pianist and soprano (it took place in the atrium of the school and you could hear people walking around).

The machine is so heavy, and the cargo bag, is not ergonomic at all. It resulted that when I arrived the place, I was really tired, and I had a very hard time to finish the performance.

Luckily enough, the machine works well.

IMG_6016(20230407-005031).JPG

IMG_6018.JPG

And a short sound example, only got gain on volume:

Oh yes.  A Nagra IV-S is very heavy.  I can recall being so thrilled in the 80s when some smart person came up with a chest harness for my Nagra.  Documentary jobs, with the Nagra slung over one shoulder on the narrow strap were, to coin a phrase, a pain in the neck.  A big pain.  I forget now what that first harness was called, but it was made of simple 1.5" (?) cotton webbing, unlike the nicely padded ones that have come in later generations.  It was a God-send!

D.

After a couple of years using an over the shoulder strap I ran into the climbing Top Harness by Black Diamond. Then one day Larry Nolan came to set with the first harness he designed based on a scuba BCD stripped down. I still have that first Versa Flex harness. It definitely saved my neck and back.  You did have to take care if you were using the 7" reels using your harness as the weight sitting on the lid could stop the makeup reel from working and you would open up the lid to find a whole bunch of tape all over the place.

• 3 weeks later...

quote:  The story is that I carried my nagra iv-stc, microphones and cables, walked for a mile, and then used it to record a chamber piece with me (viola) and pianist and soprano (it took place in the atrium of the school and you could hear people walking around)

nice to see - and hear - another IV-St owner viola player, and despite what you say a far better one than me!

the music is right up my street but sadly i don't recognise it - i first thought Berg, then maybe much later Boulez?? But no idea ...

for viola solo I like Scelsi and Xenakis very much, but you don't hear it very much!!

Jez

• 5 months later...
On 4/7/2023 at 6:00 PM, Koyama said:

The story is that I carried my nagra iv-stc, microphones and cables, walked for a mile, and then used it to record a chamber piece with me (viola) and pianist and soprano (it took place in the atrium of the school and you could hear people walking around).

The machine is so heavy, and the cargo bag, is not ergonomic at all. It resulted that when I arrived the place, I was really tired, and I had a very hard time to finish the performance.

Luckily enough, the machine works well.

IMG_6016(20230407-005031).JPG

IMG_6018.JPG

And a short sound example, only got gain on volume:

It is great to see my old love, Nagra IV, again ! I shot my first short movie as a sound engineer with it back in 1996, just me, with no boom operator / radiomics. It sounded lovely. Packed with plenty of heavy C-Cells, weighted almost 7 kgs ! Ten times more than what my MixPre 6 with 7 hour battery life weights today. BTW, It has also brought me a gastric ulcers and a week-long enormous pain in my back :-). Good old times !