IFBlue

NKL

For those who have used both, is there a discernible difference(upgrade) from the R1A to the IFBlue (aside from the wideband)? My whole IFB/Comm workflow revolves around a dozen R1As across 3 blocks, signal boosted by SNA as needed.

Does it make sense to move to IFBlue

5 hours ago, OB1 said:

For those who have used both, is there a discernible difference(upgrade) from the R1A to the IFBlue (aside from the wideband)? My whole IFB/Comm workflow revolves around a dozen R1As across 3 blocks, signal boosted by SNA as needed.

I'd keep your R1a's for VIP's and then give IFBlues to clientside folks who want a "comtek" but don't ever bother even putting it on.  Also, it is nice that they are multiblock.

7 hours ago, OB1 said:

I like the sound from an IFBlue more than an R1A when booming... might just be my headphones (Sony 7506), but it seems like a lower noise floor, and less fatiguing. 🤷🏻‍♂️

13 hours ago, OB1 said:

Differences - lighter and more slim, AAs, programmable preset channels via LCD interface, better sound, As good if not improved RF performance in my experience and priced below R1A and its successor. If I were only buying a few for crew I'd go for the R1Bs just because I like the housing on those but I use M2Rs instead. It wouldn't fit my workflow to spread them across 3 blocks, but they are the same IFBs so you can use them how you want.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/28/2023 at 2:24 PM, jwill said:

What cable are you using to get from IFBlue into camera, is it mic or line level?

From IFBlue.com  

Audio output:

1V RMS into 50 ohms minimum

Treat it as a consumer line level. It is a stout headphone level i.e.,+2 dBm.
Best,
LarryF

Your calculations are absolutely correct for 50 Ohms. Fifty Ohm values are typically used for RF levels since that is the most common impedance for RF devices and RF measurements. For audio levels, 600 Ohm levels were once the most common. Pro equipment still uses those values as a reference. That is what I did when I referred to 2 dBm, thinking of meter levels in a pro audio mixer or recorder. However, the most correct value for the Lectro IFB output is the 1 Volt into 50 Ohms specification. That is exact and has nothing to do with RF but is an average impedance value for most headphones that typically range between 32 and 80 Ohms.

All this to say, the IFB will have the least self noise going into a line level input that has enough gain to match to low line levels of 0.1 to 0.3 Volts RMS.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

• 9 months later...
On 5/1/2023 at 8:16 AM, LarryF said:

Your calculations are absolutely correct for 50 Ohms. Fifty Ohm values are typically used for RF levels since that is the most common impedance for RF devices and RF measurements. For audio levels, 600 Ohm levels were once the most common. Pro equipment still uses those values as a reference. That is what I did when I referred to 2 dBm, thinking of meter levels in a pro audio mixer or recorder. However, the most correct value for the Lectro IFB output is the 1 Volt into 50 Ohms specification. That is exact and has nothing to do with RF but is an average impedance value for most headphones that typically range between 32 and 80 Ohms.

All this to say, the IFB will have the least self noise going into a line level input that has enough gain to match to low line levels of 0.1 to 0.3 Volts RMS.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Larry, can I ask why Lectro doesn't make IFBR1B with a switch to make it line-level and bypass the headphone jack? IFBR1b has to be the smallest transmitter on the market. I know a lot of cam ops would be happy about that. 

1 hour ago, seth said:

Larry, can I ask why Lectro doesn't make IFBR1B with a switch to make it line-level and bypass the headphone jack? IFBR1b has to be the smallest transmitter on the market. I know a lot of cam ops would be happy about that. 

I'm beating a dead horse at this point but you could just use any of the Sennheiser G3/G4 receivers, turn off the pilot tone on them and voila, they pick up the Lectro IFB signal.  Been using them for camera hops for years with the great reliability of the Lectro transmission (+ R1a's for video village etc picking up the same signal).

The headphone output is quiet and can be used as a line level (1 Volt) output. It is just lower impedance than most line level outputs, which is never a bad thing. I'm missing what is the reticence to use it as a line level output. (??).

It's a minor point but G3/G4 receivers do not have matching equalization and compander time constants to the Lectro IFB. It certainly will work, though.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher