Sound Devices 633 Phantom Power Not Working : (

Dan Savio

Hello everyone, I hope you are well.

I have this problem:

The phantom power of my 633 does not want to work, it always works without problems, it has not been hit or anything, I always take very good care of it.

All other functions work perfectly, the TA3 and XLR inputs work with wireless microphones without problems (Sennheiser G4).

The phantom power only works on 12V with a Rode NTG3 microphone but when I connect a DPA microphone it does not work on either 12V or 48V.

I have measured the XLR inputs (1,2 and 3) with a multimeter and it shows 10V when it is in 12V phantom mode and it shows 4V when it is in 48V phantom mode.

I've done a hard reset followed by a flash reset, reinstalled the firmware, formatted the card and nothing still doesn't work phantom power.

If I were in the USA, I would surely send it to Sound Devices to fix it, but I live abroad and it is very difficult to send it.

Has anyone had this problem? Any recommendation? Any information will be very helpful.

Thank you very much to all.

Greetings

10 minutes ago, Rick Reineke said:

Do you have another mic that requires a full 48v PP to check in the 663 ? I am sure you already tried another cable, though I doubt that is the problem since 12v PP works with the other mic. Does the DPA work with another mixer or external 48v Phantom Pwr supply?
Call or email SD

Hi thanks for the replay, yes the DPA and my cables works perfect with another recorders.

The weird thing is that the NTG3 works on the 12V Phantom Power option but it doesn't work on the 48V Phantom Power option.

Also when I switch from 12V to 48V Phantom power I can hear for a second but then the sound fades away.

I have already written to Sound Devices, they tell me to send the 633 but as I explained in my message, I live abroad and it is very difficult and very expensive to send it to the USA.

This might be repairable by an independent repair shop in Peru if you know of a good one.  It's likely just a failed component somewhere close to the input circuit, it should be findable with a bit of skill with a multi-meter, and repairable with a bit of soldering experience.  Not a guarantee, and of course SD would like you to send it to them, but as a practical matter, it's probably easier and simpler to try and fix it locally.

That said ... I have no idea who repairs electronics in Peru or how to find them.

That said, it's also almost certainly a hardware issue.  I don't think you are going to find a fix that doesn't involve taking the unit apart and repairing it.

26 minutes ago, The Documentary Sound Guy said:

This might be repairable by an independent repair shop in Peru if you know of a good one.  It's likely just a failed component somewhere close to the input circuit, it should be findable with a bit of skill with a multi-meter, and repairable with a bit of soldering experience.  Not a guarantee, and of course SD would like you to send it to them, but as a practical matter, it's probably easier and simpler to try and fix it locally.

That said ... I have no idea who repairs electronics in Peru or how to find them.

That said, it's also almost certainly a hardware issue.  I don't think you are going to find a fix that doesn't involve taking the unit apart and repairing it.

Hello, thank you very much for your message, it gives me hope!

If you have data from any diagram of the 633 or any data that could be useful for the technician when it comes to repairing it, I would appreciate it!

all the best

No, no datasheets.  They'll probably need to test components individually.

When I had my 442 repaired here (same basic issue — dead phantom in one channel), I took it to someone who has experience repairing audio and video circuitry, so they had the skills to find the fault on their own.  Whether that means they got a schematic from SD, or had experience repairing the same model from a different client, or some other source of knowledge, I don't know.

I seem to recall the 442 has a publicly available block diagram, and I would imagine the 633 is similar, but I don't think full circuit schematics are as common.

It has to have a step up DC-DC converter to get 48v for the phantom.  This is probably shared by all the inputs, so it makes sense that all inputs would be affected if the converter failed.  A schematic would help, but chances are good that whatever circuit is there uses standard components and should be very similar to the reference design for whatever chip it uses.

so it is very likely that it is a bad contact? I am still looking for the right person to fix it, I do not want someone who ventures to disassemble a 633 without prior knowledge, I hope to be able to communicate the results soon, hoping that they are positive. all the best

Dan, have you reached out to Sound Devices? In my experience, they respond quickly and helpfully. Note I've only sent something in once, but that went well (this was before the apparent cost increase):

support@sounddevices.com

1-800-505-0625

Or use the web form here:

https://service.sounddevices.com/contact-support/

Perhaps they can direct you to an authorized repair person near you.

Good luck!

• 6 months later...

Might be an issue on the 633. A sound person recently told me about the same problem with his 633. After repair 48V stopped working again after some days. Very bad. I would buy an external P48 supply to avoid oncoming trouble.

When I studied sound they told me: Always have an MD 421 in reach in case the phantom power breaks down. In 20 years in the job no mixing desk or camera never ever had issues with phantom. But now I know they were right. 

7 hours ago, Mungo said:

Might be an issue on the 633. A sound person recently told me about the same problem with his 633. After repair 48V stopped working again after some days. Very bad. I would buy an external P48 supply to avoid oncoming trouble.

When I studied sound they told me: Always have an MD 421 in reach in case the phantom power breaks down. In 20 years in the job no mixing desk or camera never ever had issues with phantom. But now I know they were right. 

Hello  Mungo , thanks for your message.

For now I am using my Azdem FMX-42a mixer which has phantom power, what do you think¿?

Which external phantom power could you recommend?

sound devices service is very expensite they tell me:

The labor rate for the 633 is $795 plus shipping, parts, and tax duties. i think is just too much.

any another advice please

many thanks

2 hours ago, Dan Savio said:

The labor rate for the 633 is $795 plus shipping, parts, and tax duties. i think is just too much.

Before sending your recorder in for repair, try opening it and taking a look inside.

I lost the TC input on mine years ago. It was just a disconnected ribbon cable. 

I've never had another problem since.

If you're not afraid to open your device, it may be as simple as that.

But it could also be a fault in the power stage, less obvious to repair yourself. 

10 hours ago, Dan Savio said:

Hello  Mungo , thanks for your message.

For now I am using my Azdem FMX-42a mixer which has phantom power, what do you think¿?

Which external phantom power could you recommend?

many thanks

Take a look at getting a Sound Devices MP1 or MM1 to get yourself one channel of a Sound Devices preamp, or the original Sound Devices MixPre or MixPre-D for two channels (or even the Sound Devices 302? It's still quite small and compact).

23 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Take a look at getting a Sound Devices MP1 or MM1 to get yourself one channel of a Sound Devices preamp, or the original Sound Devices MixPre or MixPre-D for two channels (or even the Sound Devices 302? It's still quite small and compact).

Hello, thank you very much for your message, it is good information.

I hope in the not too distant future to be able to fix the 633.

For now I think that my Azdem FMX-42a is doing a very good job as phantom power and mixer, or what do you think of this configuration?

What I'm thinking now is another way to power the Azdem FMX-42a (I use 6 AA rechargeable batteries) because it has a 4-pin Hirose connection, any recommendations? a power bank? or an external battery?

thank you so much

WhatsApp Image 2023-10-27 at 13.59.50.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-10-27 at 20.24.29.jpeg