New product just released: "Sennheiser Evolution Wireless Digital EW-DP"

IronFilm

New prosumer grade Sennheiser wireless just dropped:

“For this, we collaborated closely with a peer group of filmmakers, camera operators and content creators. The outcome is EW-DP, which I like to call a UHF system with 2.4 GHz simplicity.”  

https://www.leisuretec.co.uk/news/sennheiser-evolution-wireless-digital-ewdp

Not really at all for our line of professional work. But I bet we'll be seeing a lot of these in use by other people, be they cameraman/DoPs/videographers or newbies starting out doing sound. (surely seems like a much better product than the usual Sennheiser G3 -ish types of wireless people would buy?) 

i use the EW-D system for my team to communicate between ourselves.
it has the advantage over the G4 in that when they are out of range, the system mutes, rather than pop and splat.

now that there is a portable receiver, i may be able to keep them talking when i have to use the bag rig.

Video out by B&H:

They've got very cheap prosumer pricing of it at only US$700:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1754634-REG/sennheiser_700012_ew_dp_me2_set_r4_9.html

1 hour ago, rich said:

now that there is a portable receiver, i may be able to keep them talking when i have to use the bag rig.

yes! This must be great news for people like you who were already using the rack mounted receivers for it!

But it is is a pity that their portable receiver seems to be badly designed when it comes to bag usage 😕 

Edit, found another video:

He does a range test of it here compared against other prosumer/consumer grade Sennheiser wireless, the video is entirely in german but you can figure out the gist of it: 

well. it is kind of great news. but the more i look at it, i see what doesnt suit how i would want to use it.

mostly that the antennas seem permanently attached. id hope it could be modified to have SMAs instead. but i dont know that i want to spend £300 when i can get the receivers on their own, to then take it apart to see for myself. and i dont imagine sennhieser will tell me if its possible.

USB C power is another milder headache.

also worth noting, they have also recently released the EW-DX series, which is a little pricier, but has a few extra functions.

link density mode allowing closer frequency spacing. (minimum 300KHz versus 600KHz)

displays on the transmitters so you can adjust settings there, rather than with the app

dual channel half rack receivers, with a Dante option, and a quad rack full receiver.

the EW-D and EW-DX units all work together, unless you want to use link density mode, then you'll need all DX units.

19 minutes ago, rich said:

well. it is kind of great news. but the more i look at it, i see what doesnt suit how i would want to use it.

mostly that the antennas seem permanently attached. id hope it could be modified to have SMAs instead. but i dont know that i want to spend £300 when i can get the receivers on their own, to then take it apart to see for myself. and i dont imagine sennhieser will tell me if its possible.

also worth noting, they have also recently released the EW-DX series, which is a little pricier, but has a few extra functions.

link density mode allowing closer frequency spacing. (minimum 300KHz versus 600KHz)

displays on the transmitters so you can adjust settings there, rather than with the app

dual channel half rack receivers, with a Dante option, and a quad rack full receiver.

the EW-D and EW-DX units all work together, unless you want to use link density mode, then you'll need all DX units.

The fixed antenna is indeed a strange design choice. I own couple DX receivers and love them for corporate events. They are fantastic, never had a dropout.

Just wished they'd miniaturized it as an ew-dp 2 channel receiver. Instead of just one channel.

17 minutes ago, ntchi said:

The fixed antenna is indeed a strange design choice. I own couple DX receivers and love them for corporate events. They are fantastic, never had a dropout.

Just wished they'd miniaturized it as an ew-dp 2 channel receiver. Instead of just one channel.

maybe, in about 18 months there will be a mini EW-DX 2 channel receiver.

The stacking capability is nice and it's crazy that digital has trickled down into this low of a price range.  Obviously this is geared towards the videographer / low end crowd but I am quite envious of how that crowd is getting such good bang for buck vs other digital transmitter series that are obviously priced way, way higher.

1 hour ago, rich said:

The 4 channel rack mount dante receiver is priced at about $3k USD.  So four channels of digital transmission including receivers for about $5k?  Not too shabby at all.  The packs are quite big for narrative but for like you said corporate stuff etc, hell of a deal.

5 hours ago, DonovanBomb said:

I assume when products like this get released the day before NAB it's because a more significant product is being released.  This way a product like this doesn't get completely overlooked.

More likely is that it seems like the news got leaked over in Europe (a retailer published the first link I shared), which forced Sennheiser's hand to announce it, and thus then others published their info (such as B&H's video) which they already had ready to go once they got the go ahead. 

This system was already shown at local trade fairs. The build quality doesn't meet professional demands at all, but since it's Sennheiser you can expect reliability and excellent sound quality.

It's great that you can run all units (RX, bodypack, plugon, handheld) with the same rechargeable battery packs or AAs. Receiver via USB too.

14 hours ago, codyman said:

The EW-DP 835 handheld set might be a cheap voice of god solution.  I've got one of those portable JBL Eon One Compact units and it has a USB port so it could power the receiver for a truly wireless / battery operated unit.

I have some of the ew-d SK hand helds and they have a slide on / off switch. Rather than the more preferable hold to talk for VOG. It looks like there isn’t an EW-DP version. But I may not have searched hard enough. 

• 6 months later...
On 4/14/2023 at 7:24 PM, codyman said:

The stacking capability is nice and it's crazy that digital has trickled down into this low of a price range.  Obviously this is geared towards the videographer / low end crowd but I am quite envious of how that crowd is getting such good bang for buck vs other digital transmitter series that are obviously priced way, way higher.

Hi Codyman, that is exactly my thinking. Obviously, they do it on a purpose:  to keep sound pros/recordists in higher margin market. If I was a cinematographer with good audio skills, why bother hiring a sound engineer when I can have a low priced system with so much ease of use - no gain staging, e.t.c. that will do the job ?

• 2 months later...
On 4/14/2023 at 4:52 PM, IronFilm said:

He does a range test of it here compared against other prosumer/consumer grade Sennheiser wireless, the video is entirely in german but you can figure out the gist of it

That's not German but Swiss German, and this native German speaker cannot understand a word... The Sennheiser sounds (ha!) like an interesting prosumer option for journalists, though

The Sennheiser kit - or the plugon - looks remarkably like the Røde 'Newsshooter' kit, except that the Røde kit costs (gasp!) £110 - that's $140 US. The receiver (for both the 'Newsshooter' plugon and the 'Filmmaker' kit) has no protruding whips, and both the TX and RX take two AA cells (either one-time or rechargeable via micro USB). The 'Newsshooter' plugon has a screw-on 3.5mm input besides its XLR, and a headphone output.

The RX has a slide-off, but <i>captive!</i> (great!), battery cover. They deliver a really strong signal, but - it's a while since I've used  mine - I can't remember the battery life nor the usable range, but, supposedly, 100 metres. Incredible value for money, really solid construction, drop-proof, cold shoe or threaded for camera and belt clip-on, NOT stackable like the Sennheiser, TX unit also takes Sony NP-F batts. Talk about value for money! 7 channels in 2.4GHz.

RX has three-position output gain, TX can supply phantom 48v. Did I mention value for money? Made in Australia.

5 hours ago, DHB said:

The Sennheiser kit - or the plugon - looks remarkably like the Røde 'Newsshooter' kit,

nah, very different, the Rode Newsshooter is only 2.4GHz

5 hours ago, DHB said:

TX unit also takes Sony NP-F batts.

Might have been the only thing I liked about the Rode Newsshooter!

1554122099_IMG_537626.jpg 

5 hours ago, DHB said:

7 channels in 2.4GHz.

Could do theoretically  up to 8 channels. (of course real world practice might be very different)