Small DC Distro

jason porter

Thanks all!

Derek, it is a Hammond 1590.  I believe it is the same as the Battery Bud (which was my inspiration for this project)

All in, less than $100 in parts (damned Hirose connectors!)

5 X Hirose

1 project box

1 switch

1 LED

1 Resistor

scrap PCB

scrap wire

scrap velcro for insulating the bottom of the box

4 hours labour, from drilling to soldering to mounting everything.

I thought about adding a fuse, but my head started to hurt.  Anyone know anything about adding fuses?  The whole thing will be powered by an 6Ah Li-Ion battery, drawing about 600ma.

cut the switch to half  not to bump it accidently and shut down everything

by the way, since yo left with alotta space you could add 5v dc down converter to run anything additional in low voltage

like zoom r-24 :-) or just a smart phone recharge .

I may cut the switch, but it is really "stiff" and takes a lot of pressure to throw.  It will also live in a spot that should be protected well enough that it can't get switched accidentally, I will show you in a pic soon.  The whole idea for the `switch`is for when I charge the battery, I can leave it in the bag (Battery4Broadcast) and make sure no power is getting to any of the gear.

Adding a 5V regulated output is a good idea and as-is I only use 3 outputs (2 X Rx, Zax Tx and mixer)

I have been in the habit of making an adapter that goes from any existing power source (BD, Hawk-Woods, home brew, whatever) to standard 12V cigarette female socket. There is a nice small Belkin 12v to USB that fits in any cig. socket that then will power or charge any desired usb device, or you can just use a standard 12v car cable for any device.  I actually built and sold a bunch of them on my last reality asignment.  Made some for the camera dept too from Anton Bauer to 12V socket and made a lot of cam ops happy.  The cost of connectors actually makes the adapter cables more expensive than you might think but still extremely useful. Make one for yourself and you'll see how handy they can be.

Jim Mansen

I have been in the habit of making an adapter that goes from any existing power source (BD, Hawk-Woods, home brew, whatever) to standard 12V cigarette female socket. There is a nice small Belkin 12v to USB that fits in any cig. socket that then will power or charge any desired usb device, or you can just use a standard 12v car cable for any device.  I actually built and sold a bunch of them on my last reality asignment.  Made some for the camera dept too from Anton Bauer to 12V socket and made a lot of cam ops happy.  The cost of connectors actually makes the adapter cables more expensive than you might think but still extremely useful. Make one for yourself and you'll see how handy they can be.

Jim Mansen

Hey Jim, how about a picture?

phil p

I may cut the switch, but it is really "stiff" and takes a lot of pressure to throw.  It will also live in a spot that should be protected well enough that it can't get switched accidentally, I will show you in a pic soon.  The whole idea for the `switch`is for when I charge the battery, I can leave it in the bag (Battery4Broadcast) and make sure no power is getting to any of the gear.

Adding a 5V regulated output is a good idea and as-is I only use 3 outputs (2 X Rx, Zax Tx and mixer)

Jason,

I'll scout around for the part number, but there is a locking toggle switch available in several configurations. You pull up slightly on the switch bat to unlock it. I replaced the dim/off/bright switch on a bloop light with one many years ago.

Best regards,

Jim

HI Philip (Happy Birthday by the way)

Here is a picture of the camera option.  Put your own DC connector on and your all set.

Bought my sockets from Pep Boys.  They have a DC extension w two  sockets. Sorry the Belkin usb is at home. but it just fills up the  socket flush and you plug in any USB cable.

Jim

post-1069-130815088425_thumb.jpg

post-1069-130815088436_thumb.jpg

Sorry, Picture is truncated.  For me if I click on it I can see the whole thing faded out, but not sure how I should have sized the photos to appear here properly.

Think you can get the idea......... Jim

Just click on the image link at the lower left of the picture to see it all.

Eric

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I've been wondering...are there any electrical differences between a DC distro box or distro cable? For guitarists they have those 1spot PS units that have a cable with 9 dc connectors to power up effect pedals. Just wondering if a BDS or batt bud add anything special besides an LED, a switch and a fuse.

• 3 weeks later...

" any electrical differences between a DC distro box or distro cable? "

it depends...

on the units you compare.

True true. Always the case for sure. Judging by the looks of the OP's pictures his DIY box isn't much different than a daisy chain cable in it's distribution of electricity. BDS and Batt Buds might have some type of voltage regulator in them but I dunno. I'm willing to bet a daisy chain cable could very adequately accomplish many distro needs just as well as a box...however my remedial knowledge of dc power could be dangerous :)

• 1 month later...

I've been wondering...are there any electrical differences between a DC distro box or distro cable? For guitarists they have those 1spot PS units that have a cable with 9 dc connectors to power up effect pedals. Just wondering if a BDS or batt bud add anything special besides an LED, a switch and a fuse.

Most of them do have protected outputs. Some have noise filtering (a debated topic).

The Remote Audio site explains their BDS. Pretty definitely the most common bag distro in the US

http://www.remoteaudio.com/bds_v4/