Wider and tighter

Guest Mick

I've mixed some simultaneous wide and tight shots in my time but today topped them all. A 10 mm lens from thirty feet away that dollied into a raking two shot and a B camera installed two minutes before first team call which shot a close up on one of the actors. After i shot the director the "stinkeye" he grinned and said "It's your own fault for doing such a good job in the past!" My good work comes back to haunt me! But you gotta love it.

I had them wired up and my guys did their usual good job of mic placement so it went OK. I mixed in some room and it sounded just as good for the CU as for the wide master.

Incidentally Doug, I was in your class at the Film and TV workshop with Richard Brauss (?) many years ago. 1986 or 87 I think. I still have some pics from that time up in Maine.

Exactly Phillip. We've kind of painted ourselves into a corner by accomodating the w/t syndrome to such an extent that it's pretty much taken for granted. Gone are the days when I used to approach the director and tell him/her that I can't give them a clean sounding track if I can't bring in the overhead mic close enough, so can we shoot the wide and tight separately.  With the advent of better lavs and improved expertise I don't really have enough of a case to winge (whine) about 10mm masters shot simultaneously with 75mm close ups. It makes life on the set interesting though and staves off the ennui of endless talking heads...to a point. I actually look forward now to anything that remotely resembles a challenge...camera cars, music playback with dialogue, multiple actors on multiple tracks etc etc.