Sound Devices 833 and Cedar SDNX

jwill

I have witnessed the demos of SDNX and it seems impressive, and not inexpensive.  Thinking about adding it . My question is

how do users of CEDAR apply it? Right to the channel you are using, to the busses L/R?

I think it would be very valuable for news live shots, indoors ? 

whilst i opted for noise assist rather than Cedar. 
I only apply to the mix track. that way all sources sent to the mix track get processed. and if you are recording the isos, then they are unaffected. (though you can of course record a processed and unprocessed track if you choose)

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/1/2023 at 2:10 PM, jwill said:

I think it would be very valuable for news live shots, indoors ? 

At least one US broadcast news org has said to not use noise assist.

I don't have it and have never used it. It seems like it would be best used in post production, maybe on commercial shoots with a quick turnaround and a lack of post production.

Cheers.

Tim

I don't get much call for it personally.  I don't try hard to sell it either, and usually end up working against the rental by recommending they process in post instead of in production.  Sometimes the video isn't going through post and a processed tracks helps move through a rushed edit. 

When I do use it it's a copy of the mix track processed, or a copy of the mix and boom tracks processed.  I always record the unprocessed as the primary.

Sometimes my favorite use for it is for my own reference of how well a particular noise will clean up in post.  Helps me make a better judgement when something feels borderline.  Also can be good for live feeds in corporate jobs, but

17 hours ago, Tim Norris said:

At least one US broadcast news org has said to not use noise assist.

Am curious as to what their reasonings are as to why? Because I'd feel that a light touch of it used smartly could be quite handy for a live broadcast. (unless they're already heavily doing this on their end??)

5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Am curious as to what their reasonings are as to why? Because I'd feel that a light touch of it used smartly could be quite handy for a live broadcast. (unless they're already heavily doing this on their end??)

Discussing it with a friend... it could have come from a single use (or user) that was far too heavy handed. I would not be surprised to find they were already doing it on their end.

Cheers,

Tim