Hiding flat head lav mics

aristotle_kumpis

Good question.  I use Trams and Sonotrims a lot.  On women I will mount the mic in the vampire clip, mount that to a piece of Transpore tape.  I then adhere the Transpore to a water proof bandaid right in the center.  The Nexcare tough strips (kind of cloth type)work really well.  A wipe down of the skin with an alcohol pad gets the skin oil off and insures best adhesion.  I have the person do the wipe down themselves, I have them drop the connector down the front of the shirt and instruct them to stick the mic in the center of the cleavage.  Its more fool proof if they stick one side at a time so it doesn't get folded over and stuck to itself.  If it gets stuck in the wrong place ie: not low enough as to not be visible or too low as to be muffled you need to start over.  The bandaid will not re stick for very long.  You don't want the mic to touch the clothing if possible.

On men its more challenging.  If the man is wearing two shirts ie: two tee shirts I mount the vampire clip to Transpore, adhere that to a bandaid or a piece of Nexcare waterproof first aid tape (flesh colored spongy tape).  This is mounted in the man cleavage area if it exists, between the two layers.  The cable can be run down the front or back depending on what hides best.  This same method can be used if you need to place the mic on the inside of the neck band so it doesn't show.  A button down shirt without a tie goes this way.  Vampire clip to Transpore and then taped to the inside of the button placket in the upper chest area.  Cable is tacked down with Transpore or Nexcare first aid tape down the front of the shirt, then tucked in around to the back.  With a tee shirt with hairy chest I do the vampire to Transpore  onto first aid tape and put that on the inside of the neck band.  I tack the cable around the neck band and then down the back.  Polo shirts are the best.  I do the vampire to the Transpore or put it directly on the inside of the lowest point in the button placket below the last button.  Cable is run over to and down the back.  For ties I put the mic between the two layers with the vampire stuck to the Transpore.  Cable is run down the tie to the waist band of the pants where it can be tucked around to the back. 

General rules:  Always put the mic in the vampire clip with the grill facing in.  There might be a slight difference in sound but not much.  These mics are omni-directional.  If cloth rubs on the side of the mic on the non grill side its much quieter.  If the mic rubs on smooth skin this way its very quiet.  Put the mic where the fabric moves the least.  Never let the pins of the vampire clip show or worse poke your subject.  Sometimes Transpore doesn't stick to certain fabrics and sweats off easier so that's why  I'll  often mount the mic to the Transpore first and then to the first aid tape.  The first aid tape is thicker and spongy so its hard to stick the vampire clip to it directly.

As with anything this takes practice and experience but I hope I've given you an overview of what can be done with flat, side address mics.  Remember that some mics play better with certain wardrobe than others so you ideally should have other options available.  You do get minimal wind protection with these techniques since the mics are under clothing but be prepared to move the mic, move the subject or find some way to block the wind from getting into the mic.  Actually that's another whole subject.  Hope this helps.

Bernie

Thanks for the advice. The other night, I put a VT-500 on the talent, with the vampire clip on. By the time I put moleskin on it to hold it in place, it looked too bulky for his t-shirt.  But I have found that this works well for thicker material. So it sounds like the best way is to mount the mic on the skin, not the clothing?

Thanks for the advice. The other night, I put a VT-500 on the talent, with the vampire clip on. By the time I put moleskin on it to hold it in place, it looked too bulky for his t-shirt.  But I have found that this works well for thicker material. So it sounds like the best way is to mount the mic on the skin, not the clothing?

Depends on the clothing and the person's body.  It can even show a bump when attached to the skin in the wrong place. The rule of thumb is you do whatever works the way you want it to.  I've not used moleskin in a long time.  It doesn't hold up to well to sweat and its thicker and not as flexible so if adhered to the fabric you see a flat spot that looks weird.  Get some Nexcare Transpore and some Nexcare first aid tape and play around with it away from the pressure of a shoot.  Wire a willing volunteer and listen and look to see what gives the best results.  I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow of everything I've suggested so its clear what I'm talking about.

Gotta go!

Bernie

Another reason for having front address lavs face the vampire clip is that there is a slight HF boost that way.

Eric

The HF bump is due to the air between the mic and the clip working as a Helmholtz resonator... 

I have seen some people put the tram in the other way, the live side facing outwards and not inwards, thinking the mic would get muffled... nothing could be more incorrect...  and some even worse - using the supplied sponge windshield attachment WITH the vampire clip. worser than ever possible, i walked away wondering WTF - better than not putting a lav at all...!! 

-vin

The HF bump is due to the air between the mic and the clip working as a Helmholtz resonator...

I have seen some people put the tram in the other way, the live side facing outwards and not inwards, thinking the mic would get muffled... nothing could be more incorrect...  and some even worse - using the supplied sponge windshield attachment WITH the vampire clip. worser than ever possible, i walked away wondering WTF - better than not putting a lav at all...!!

-vin

I know one mixer that uses it face out in vampire with sponge windscreen as his go to golf shirt rig and it sounds great. It won't be my first choice but I am of the school of do whatever works for you.

I hear you, Vin, re mic orientation and the out-of-the-box Trim wind protection offering, certainly for hiding purposes. Found my particular Trim wind solution when one of those windscreens fell apart, and it occurred that a proper amount of that foam slid between the mic and the vampire would cover the wind-vulnerable grille. It's a little bit o' magic to find the right foam and to poke it in just far enough but not pack it too tight.

For tee-shirt placement, I use the leather wing mount, transpored to the skin in the cleavage, unless there isn't any.

-- Jan