EV 644 CardioLine

Oh my gosh. We had one of these at the NBC station I shot news at in the late 70's. We plugged it into our Frezzolini 16mm, mag sound cameras (with augenieux crank zoom lens). Back then I had no idea what an interference tube was but I think this has one. As I remember it had a 2-pin screw-on connector to XLR cable.

It worked better than our other microphones (EV635) at picking up distant sounds but I was a snot-nosed kid back then, fresh out of college. What did I know. I can't remember the level of self or handling noise.

Thanks for the trip through memory lane.

And it was HEAVY.

• 1 month later...

Oh, I'm a bit late to the party, sorry ..yes, I  have one of these, and also the version with the rubber-ring 'handling-deadener', I mean isolation mount: the 642.

Surprisingly clear, effective, but no bass. Supposedly 40Hz-12kHz (..though some specs say 30-10kHz ..but I can't quite believe THAT).

As they're unpowered dynamics (ultra-cardioid) they have no 'self-noise' from internal transistors, tubes or suchlike, so you get absolute silence if no-one's speaking, or nothing nearby is making any noise. Simple, clear, a bit 'tinny' (must be the Acoustalloy® diaphragm).

Low frequency roll-off switch and variable impedance settings. Very useful, but rather dated. I rather prefer an AKG 480 with a shotgun capsule. But the 644 can withstand any amount of dropping on hard surfaces!

Oh, I forgot to mention Martin Mitchell's comprehensive page(s) about this mic:  tinyurl.com/C4rd1l1ne