Connecting a power source to an audio recorder

CABYRD

And if you're going to buy a Remote Audio BDS system, please do not buy it from B & H. Try Trew Audio, the sister company of Remote Audio or Coffey Sound or Gotham Audio or any of the other smaller, local professional sound recording equipment suppliers. They may even stock a cable like the one you're looking for or be able to custom fabricate one for you. B & H can't and won't do that and probably won't give any product support other than telling you to call Remote Audio should you have a problem.

Best regards,

Jim

Check Hawk-Woods BDS systems.

http://www.hawkwoods.com/products/details/details.php?code=dv-sqn4s&mainMenuItemToSlide=4&asi=dv-f970&asi2=dv-mc2

I have that plus:

I have 4 Lenmar 7.2 batteries $200

2 Lenmar fast chargers 2x$20  edit: come with car charger.

I also have two 6.9 older batteries that still hold decent charge that I have as backup with me.

$240 compared to NP1 system $800

I would love to own BDS and NP1s but the extra cost of batteries and chargers are not justified in my case.

NP1 is great stuff but expansive.

And if you're going to buy a Remote Audio BDS system, please do not buy it from B & H. Try Trew Audio, the sister company of Remote Audio or Coffey Sound or Gotham Audio or any of the other smaller, local professional sound recording equipment suppliers. They may even stock a cable like the one you're looking for or be able to custom fabricate one for you. B & H can't and won't do that and probably won't give any product support other than telling you to call Remote Audio should you have a problem.

Best regards,

Jim

I searched for an input voltage range for the external power input of the Edirol (Roland) RO9HR and haven't been able to find it published. Anyone who can volunteer this info would be appreciated. It should be simple enough to measure the output of the included AC adapter or read the output specs printed on the adapter.

Thanks,

Glen Trew

Information from a post last year that I followed and it works perfectly:

Quote from: Sam Mallery on December 23, 2009, 10:40:41 AM<blockquote>André  - I have an Edirol R-09HR in my bag as well that I'd like to distribute  power to. Is the lead that you use commercially available, or is it  custom only?

</blockquote>

http://www.dimensionengineering.com/DE-SW033.htm

IIRC, the Edirol requires 3V. At 3.3V, I haven't had a problem. It's a quick 'n easy solder job.

I'll give credit to Andy Turrett for providing me with the link right here on JWsound.

edit: Since I no longer saw a use for the AC supply, I used the molded 90 from it for the Vout of the switching regulator.          « Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 03:04:07 PM by André Boisvert »      Report to moderator    ip.gif  Logged    André Boisvert

http://singlesystemslate.com/ 

Information from a post last year that I followed and it works perfectly:

Quote from: Sam Mallery on December 23, 2009, 10:40:41 AM<blockquote>André  - I have an Edirol R-09HR in my bag as well that I'd like to distribute  power to. Is the lead that you use commercially available, or is it  custom only?

</blockquote>

http://www.dimensionengineering.com/DE-SW033.htm

IIRC, the Edirol requires 3V. At 3.3V, I haven't had a problem. It's a quick 'n easy solder job.

I'll give credit to Andy Turrett for providing me with the link right here on JWsound.

edit: Since I no longer saw a use for the AC supply, I used the molded 90 from it for the Vout of the switching regulator.                                                                                  « Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 03:04:07 PM by André Boisvert »                                                      Report to moderator                      ip.gif                    Logged                                  André Boisvert

http://singlesystemslate.com/             

Thanks RB, but I could've posted a link to my own post ;)

My point was that sometimes, a little bit of work (a 30 second search) will provide the information needed.

There's a wealth of information in the jwsound archives. Use it.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just calculated the np1 2 batteries charger plus BDS starter kit.

$1,167.96

I got a couple of NP-1 batteries for less than $40 each (new, off-brand), and picked up a Sony 4 bay charger for $70 on E-Bay. So that's $150 so far. Got a Remote Audio NP-1 cup for about $70, which is running my mixer currently (terminated in Hirose 4-pin). So that's $220 so far. Battery Bud II and the cables for my mixer and recorder will run about another $300-$320 when the funds are available. My NP-1 system will come in at $540-$550 by the time I'm done. Run time on the mixer straight off the RA cup to NP-1 was two solid twelve hour days with room to spare. I expect the run time with the mixer and recorder will be a solid 12 hour day. Add in another $50 or so for each cable to power a device after that. I don't see this system costing more than $700 by the time I max it out. If I throw in a few more off-brand NP-1's, its still under $800, and I've built it as I went and needed it. Its a lot of power.

I got a couple of NP-1 batteries for less than $40 each (new, off-brand), and picked up a Sony 4 bay charger for $70 on E-Bay. So that's $150 so far. Got a Remote Audio NP-1 cup for about $70, which is running my mixer currently (terminated in Hirose 4-pin). So that's $220 so far. Battery Bud II and the cables for my mixer and recorder will run about another $300-$320 when the funds are available. My NP-1 system will come in at $540-$550 by the time I'm done. Run time on the mixer straight off the RA cup to NP-1 was two solid twelve hour days with room to spare. I expect the run time with the mixer and recorder will be a solid 12 hour day. Add in another $50 or so for each cable to power a device after that. I don't see this system costing more than $700 by the time I max it out. If I throw in a few more off-brand NP-1's, its still under $800, and I've built it as I went and needed it. Its a lot of power.

NP-1's for under $40? Source? Sounds ridiculously cheap.

Aw, I don't have a link. I'll be honest, I got them off E-bay for $38 each. I was concerned, but they've been working flawlessly for about a year now with a Sony BC-1WD charger I also found on E-Bay. The batteries are unbranded, came sealed in plastic, labeled as "replace NP-1B". NiMH, 13.2V, 3000mAh, 39.6 Wh. And like I said, I get two solid 12 hour days out of them powering a 3 channel mixer, phantom on a boom mic and the occasional couple of wireless.

• 5 weeks later...

This has been mentioned elsewhere, but there's an outfit in NZ called Powermedia Pro or somesuch, that sells NP1s for less than $100, and the chargers as well, for much less than IDX. So far, I've had no problems.

HTH,

BK

+1

http://www.globalmediapro.com/dp/A00XK8/Globalmediapro-Li65N-Lithium-ion-Battery-65WH/

Does anyone know if these will charge in an IDX charger (KL-4)? In the reviews in the link above, one user reports they only work with Globalmedia chargers, while another reports it charges in their Swit 302 charger. I would definitely give these a shot if they charged in along side of my other NP-1's in the same charger.

• 3 weeks later...

Stupid question but worth asking before I drop >$500 on batteries and chargers. GlobalMedia Pro call their NP style batteries NP1B batteries. What are NP1B batteries and how are they different from NP1 batteries. Will they work with the Remote Audio BDS? Assuming they will but thought I'd confirm first. Thanks!

Eddy, I have a PSC BDS in my bag, connected to a GlobalMedia Pro NP-1battery, feeding a mixer, a recorder and three wireless receivers. I don't know the answer to your question, but their battery is basically identical to IDX batteries, and I haven't had any problems with them. I bought two of them, along with a two-bay charger. That's plenty for a busy day for the type of work I do.

If and when I have a problem with these batteries, I'll be happy to report on this thread, but so far I've been absolutely satisfied with their setup.

HTH,

BK

Stupid question but worth asking before I drop >$500 on batteries and chargers. GlobalMedia Pro call their NP style batteries NP1B batteries. What are NP1B batteries and how are they different from NP1 batteries. Will they work with the Remote Audio BDS? Assuming they will but thought I'd confirm first. Thanks!

NP-1B's are NP-1's and should work fine with your setup. One thing to consider is that the batteries chemistry works with your charger. I think most newer chargers cover all the different types. I've got an older sony charger that will only charge Ni-Cads. I found a site that still sells them: megabatteries.com. They were pretty cheap.

Aw, I don't have a link. I'll be honest, I got them off E-bay for $38 each. I was concerned, but they've been working flawlessly for about a year now with a Sony BC-1WD charger I also found on E-Bay. The batteries are unbranded, came sealed in plastic, labeled as "replace NP-1B". NiMH, 13.2V, 3000mAh, 39.6 Wh. And like I said, I get two solid 12 hour days out of them powering a 3 channel mixer, phantom on a boom mic and the occasional couple of wireless.

These? 18 dollars now: http://bit.ly/OsfhVt

So after following some advice I bought the GlobalMedia Pro NP1B batteries and now I seem to have hit some problems. Help please anyone????

I've just set up my new BDS v4u with my Sound Devices 552 mixer and two Lectrosonics 411a receivers in a field bag. The cables are all remote audio bought in the kit at B and H (see this link http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/522500-REG/Remote_Audio_BDSPACK_BDS_v3_Battery_Distribution.html) and the batteries are NP1B batteries from Global Media Pro (see this link for the batteries I'm using https://www.globalmediapro.com/dp/A00XK8/Globalmediapro-Li65N-Lithium-ion-Battery-65WH/). When I first received the batteries they had very low power but i plugged them in to the BDS to test them. The system powered up fine so I turned it off and charged the NP batteries to full. Now I can not get the system to power up. The illuminated power switch on the BDS briefly flashes red then nothing. The batteries are 14.8V, 4.4Ah, 65Wh. Are the batteries overloading the BSD? This doesn't seem right? It should be able to handle 14.8 volt NP1B batteries surely? Pleeeeease help! I have emailed Remote Audio but I'm sure all you soundos have some experience in this matter.

Thanks.

Ed

So after following some advice I bought the GlobalMedia Pro NP1B batteries and now I seem to have hit some problems. Help please anyone? ???

I've just set up my new BDS v4u with my Sound Devices 552 mixer and two Lectrosonics 411a receivers in a field bag. The cables are all remote audio bought in the kit at B and H (see this link http://www.bhphotovi...stribution.html) and the batteries are NP1B batteries from Global Media Pro (see this link for the batteries I'm using https://www.globalme...n-Battery-65WH/). When I first received the batteries they had very low power but i plugged them in to the BDS to test them. The system powered up fine so I turned it off and charged the NP batteries to full. Now I can not get the system to power up. The illuminated power switch on the BDS briefly flashes red then nothing. The batteries are 14.8V, 4.4Ah, 65Wh. Are the batteries overloading the BSD? This doesn't seem right? It should be able to handle 14.8 volt NP1B batteries surely? Pleeeeease help! I have emailed Remote Audio but I'm sure all you soundos have some experience in this matter.

Thanks.

Ed

The symptom of the flashing red light on the BDS sounds similar to what happened to me with my BDS V3. Worked well for a long, long time, then one day - nothing. Turned out the relay that acts as a surge protector had burned out.