Proper cable for LCR setup?

Fred Salles

Hello,

I am in the process of getting an LCR stereo setup for the first time (after years of 2 channels stereo recordings).

Those of you who have used it for a while, what cable would you recommend to built my own XLR7 cables?

I have been doing some research and have not yet found a proper cable with 3 pairs, good flexibility, and a suitable ext. diameter of no more than 6mm. 

Thanks

Fred

LCR is a spaced array of mics, so I'd probably just do home runs to the recorder.

But, you can run 4 channels of audio over a cat5 cable, so since you're not "running and gunning" with this set up, a small stage box at the "C" mic with all three cabled in would give you a small and easy to replace cable back to your recorder wherever you want to be with that – there are many commercial options out there, but it is also pretty easy to DIY

8 hours ago, Dalton Patterson said:

Thanks Dalton, are you using this cable?

Strangely it is not listed in Mogami's latest catalog. It has the model 2931 (also sold on this site but I am not in the USA). I have read in a forum that the model 2602 you are pointing at is an old model but no-one can get the specifications.

The 2931 however is also a 4 channels and has a 8.6mm(0.339") ext diam. It seems a bit big for my purpose but would appreciate feedback if anyone is using it, especially about flexibility.

10 hours ago, Shastapete said:

But, you can run 4 channels of audio over a cat5 cable, so since you're not "running and gunning" with this set up,

Shastapete I still have to explore these LAN cables option for running microphones signal, I heard about it and it was controversial. Maybe in a post here, I will search. It would work since Cat6, 6a,7 and now 8 are very well shielded. Have you had experience with any?

Worthy of consideration, simply due to pedigree of SQN, the SQN-QSC raw cable listed on their website pricelist:

Raw Cable:

SQN-TSC Double twin screened audio cable plus 2 unscreened leads. Black PVC, 6mm dia, Length up to 100m - price per metre. 2.75  
SQN-QSC

Quad twin screened audio cable plus 3 unscreened leads. Black PVC, 7mm dia. Length up to 100m - price per metre.

E&OE Carriage and Insurance Extra.
Prices in the U.K. are subject to VAT at 20%