Go Pro Hero HD camera

BVS

I worked with one of these cameras during the week....HD images, waterproof separate housing that allows sound to be recorded on board and underwater.It has a few good attachments like a suction pad and can be head mounted...great for the action stuff where you wouldn't place your good mics...check out some of the videos done so far...

GoPro HD Cameras - Wearable HD Cameras for Sports, Activities, & HD Video Production

BVS

probably the funnest camera i've ever bought. i actually bought 2 of them. i do a lot of bike stuff so primarily for that. but here's a random video i shot with mine.

and here's a video of some bike stuff

but i've been using them for random productions too: dash cams, crash cams, underwater shots, just all kinds of stuff.

but if you're using the water tight back, sound is gonna be pretty sucky. they have a different back you can use thats more open to allow better sound. and i know some other guys who strictly film bike riding that have drilled a hole in their case and put a piece of fuzzy over it to get better sound.

I worked on a WGBH science series some this year, and the series DP fell in love with these cameras, w/ good reason (he bought 3).  We deployed them all over the place--he got some especially cool footage in the trash processing/burning etc plants outside NYC reminiscent of the climax of Toy Story 3.  Tremendous visuals for a low-budg doc.  Not great sound but usable for some stuff.

phil p

did a series of truck races with 7 RedOnes and 60 ( sixty)  of the little ones.  AAAArrrrrrrrgh - 7 transmitters to producers, two new video eng. (from LA)/camera operators + more "operators" from ( Kalamazoo) - one sleeze cheap Brazilian PM from LA who rented everything for a 6 day shoot on a one day rental with a credit card that was not even hers. Chi rental house, needless to say we checked out after the first weekend and let a 3 letter house in LA take over.  ---  the drama though,  you can't even imagine............ budget, hold, rebudget, hold for sure, better deal, hold, compeditive bid, hold for sure, matching bid,  hold again, .... CANCELL for the house that gave the one day rate...    who needs this shit....

I did a small test yesterday. 2 GoPro's, 1 SD442 @29.97 and a open Schoeps mic in my van. Drove for 10 minutes clapping hands when possible, TC Slate head n tails of the take. Put it together in Final Cut and it held sync for 1 camera fine, but the other camera slipped 2 frames by the tail sticks. The sound on the camera w the waterproof housing is almost not there. I have shot the camera outside the housing and the sound is horrible and only worth a scratch track. Cool little toy that soots HD and can go a lot of places.

CrewC