TRX942, AES42 compatable boom pole audio system (For Super CMIT)

glenn

Hi Glenn,

I was also wondering if this could also be used with the Sennheiser MZD 8000 and if so, will it support 2 channel / stereo operation?  Along the same lines, I believe the Super CMIT outputs 2 channels, 1 DSP and 1 non-processed, so a RX900S or QRX100 would receive both channels?

This is technically possible but I will not have an answer on this for a few weeks. If there is enough DSP processing available the answer will be yes if not then a selecton of either of the 2 channels will be way it will work.

The TRX942 is busy receiving and recording at the same time and thats a lot to deal with.

I have not tested the Sennheiser Mic but I will when the TRX942 is ready to go.

Glenn

• 4 months later...

thanks Glenn.

if there cant be a limiter on the TRX942, i can get around it in a similar way that i do on the 788, which is to have the gain set around 10-15dB lower than i would have to achieve the same level with an analog mic, then set the fader to +10 so that the mix limiters take care of any peaks without the input overloading.

i would expect that with the 942, i will set the gain to give enough headroom and add gain at the receiver / mixing desk.

• 1 year later...

Hi Glenn

Just received my second TRX942 unit.

In order to limit the peaks with the AES42 SuperCMIT there are a lot of parameters to deal with in the "Dynamics" page. I just wish it to act the way the analog Limiter does with my CMIT. I've been playing with it for the last year but I'm still not convinced, so I would appreciate a recommended setting for that purpose.

Thanks

From the manual:

SIDECHAIN:

(Sidechain Selection) This parameter selects the audio used to control the dynamics; specifically it selects the audio feed to the dynamics peak detector. The options are: o HFB: Input audio to the mic high-passed

o LP2: Input audio to the mic low passed more o LP1: Input audio to the mic low passed

o IN: Input audio to the mic

Note that this selection does not change the audio that is being processed by the dynamics, rather it changes the audio signal used to determine the level or "loudness" of the audio.

SPEED: [sLOWEST] / [sLOW] / [NORMAL] / [FAST] / [FASTEST] (Decay Speed) Controls the decay speed of the peak detector used by the dynamics processing.

ATTACK: [sLOWEST] / [sLOW] / [NORMAL] / [FAST] / [FASTEST] (Attack Speed) Controls the amount of gain slewing which will generally slow the response to attack transients only.

CMP RATIO: (valid range: 1.0:1 to 3.0:1 to 5.0:1, value step: 0.1) (Compressor Ratio) Sets the compressor ratio i.e. 2.0:1 means for every 1 dB above the compressor threshold the gain will be reduced 2 dB.

CMP THRESH: (valid range: 0 to -20dB to –96dB, value step: 1) (Compressor Threshold) Sets the threshold below which gain reduction occurs according to the compressor ratio setting.

CMP KNEE: (valid range: 0 to 20dB, value step: 1)

(Compressor Soft Knee) Sets the "depth" of the compressor's soft knee. A soft knee of 6 dB will result in more gradual gain reduction in the 6 dB range over the compressor's set threshold. Note that settings below 6 dB have very little effect.

EXP RATIO: (valid range: 1:1.00 to 1:1.10 to 1:4.00, value step: 0.01) (Expansion Ratio) Sets the expansion ratio i.e. 1:2.0 means for every 1 dB above the expansion threshold the gain will be reduced 2 dB.

EXP THRESH: (valid range: 0 to -40 to –96dB, value step: 1) (Expansion Threshold) Sets the threshold above which gain reduction occurs according to the expansion ratio setting.

REDUCE: (valid range: 0 to -12 to –36dB, value step: 1)

(Expander Gain Reduction) Sets the absolute limit on the amount of gain reduction caused by the expander.

GAIN: (valid range: 0 to 30dB, value step: 1)

(Make-up Gain) Used to compensate for the gain reduction caused by the action of the compressor.