New Sound Devices USBPre 2 about to be released

It's not a MixPre replacement, totally different function.

The USBPre is a high quality stereo A/D-D/A converter for a computer.

From reading the PDF spec sheet, as long as you can power it (via USB) it functions as a stand alone pre-amp. With line in/out via S/PDIF or XLR, it is a good replacement for the mix pre.

You best bet is to use a DC to DC regulator that will isolate your 12VDC (presumably high current) source with your 5VDC output, likely rated for 500mA max, maybe 1A if you want to chain a few devices or support future USB3 power requirements.  The USB Pre 2 claims a max current draw of 100mA.  If there is enough interest, I could even build a few 10x AA battery packs (15VDC alkaline or 12VDC NiMH/NiCd) with a regulated 5V USB port.  (Digikey wants me to purchase the battery holders in quantities of 100)

I stand corrected, 500mA during operation.

You best bet is to use a DC to DC regulator that will isolate your 12VDC (presumably high current) source with your 5VDC output, likely rated for 500mA max, maybe 1A if you want to chain a few devices or support future USB3 power requirements.  The USB Pre 2 claims a max current draw of 100mA.  If there is enough interest, I could even build a few 10x AA battery packs (15VDC alkaline or 12VDC NiMH/NiCd) with a regulated 5V USB port.  (Digikey wants me to purchase the battery holders in quantities of 100)

500mA max draw during normal operation. 100mA max draw on enumeration (Boot up) to comply with USB hot-plugging specifications.

Anecdotally: A few days ago I had a 788T powered with a bench supply to test the operation of the USBPre 2 in stand-alone mode while attached to the 788T's keyboard USB jack. With 2 phantom powered mics attached (One a current-hungry Earthworks M30), inputs gains cranked, headphone gain cranked (With headphones attached), the 788T was showing about 200mA~300mA increase in current draw (With 12V from the bench supply).

The price difference would be a few $

I do not want to use the 522 for recording because the converters are poor compered to almost every Audio Equipment out there.

$2900 for a mixer and they could not fit physically or within there budget the converters from USBpre2?

Major downside. And like John says : there are other devices that have the functions needed.

I just think it sucks.

Also people have to buy ZAXCOM or SONOSAX if they want more then 0db maximum before clipping.

Never understood this low spec.

" Why does the usbpre2 has better converters then 552 "

maybe because it is primarily a converter, and the other unit is primarily a mixer...???

" I do not want to use the 522 for recording because... "

then don't.

The recording features (including converting A to D) are a terrific bonus, and make an excellent backup to a 2 channel hop, or a transcription copy.  The 552, without the digital recording capability would still be a terrific value ...