Congratulations to my friends at SD and Lectro and Sennheiser...

studiomprd

on the nomination of the Sound Devices 552 mixer for a TEC award.

on the nomination of the Lectrosonics SMV series transmitters

on the nomination of the Evolution G3 500 series wireless systems

these products from our Production Sound world are included in the 17 categories of this year's TEC award nominees. (mostly recording and PA)

thanks, Oleg, for posting the complete list.

of all the nominee's, only the Lectro , SD and Senn. units are solid parts of "production sound" packages, (I realize that some of us have MI products, especially some of the recorders, in our kits.

Actually we have a lot of the nominated manufacturers products at the schools I am at, as well as in ,my own kit.

I guess part of my "message", which the complete list backs up, is what a relatively small niche market production sound for movies & TV actually is.

I first saw the Presonus 24:4:2 at the NAMM show, and it is a terrific product and excellent value; some of our "usual suspects" carry them.  I have also used the Studer VISTA. which has been shown at the NAB, and is found in studios and venues for live and like live shows, and on OB trucks.

these are not the mainstream production sound products we tend to discuss here.

Just as a quick defense of the Senator: on several occasions when I've groused about "why isn't this available," or "why doesn't this unit do that," Sentator Michaels is quick to tell me, "hey, production sound is a teeny-tiny niche industry compared to live stage sound, concert sound, church PA, and related industries. These companies have to cater to their big markets, not to just film & TV sound."

So he's very aware that a large part of the business done by Lectro, Sennheiser, and similar firms is not production sound.

--Marc W.