2012 Olympic Opportunities

IIRC, NBC has the services contract through at least 2012.

Basically, if I remember, NBC does all the onsite production work, but the footage is syndicated/pooled to the broadcaster who owns rights for each country.

NBC/Uni airs it in the US, BBC in the UK, CCTV in China, etc. But NBC actually shoots it all.

Getting in is probably via NBC. Also, if I remember, there was a jwsound forum member who was up in BC for the games working. He might be worth tracking down.

it is a little more complicated than that.

Part of 'the deal' for hosting the Olympics includes providing the International Broadcast Center, and the Host Broadcast Feeds, complete, but raw, pictures and sound of every event from every venue.  The Olympics sells exclusive rights to broadcasters from each country, and also accredits additional 'media' (non-rights holders) who may cover the Olympics, but with restrictions the rights holders do not have.  The host broadcaster builds and staffs the IBC.

Each rights holder rents space in the IBC compounds, and equips and staffs their operations, as needed, providing their own enhancements and production elements to the IBC feeds to create their 'unilateral feeds' and broadcasts.  There may be additional affiliated entities included with the rights-holders --for example USA rights holder NBC also includes facilities and staff from their O&O stations, Cable networks, radio networks, and even major affiliates who also sub rent some of NBC's spaces.  Additionally, there may be contractors (satellite providers, TV Trucks, caterers, and equipment vendors, etc.) who are also included in the IBC's and rights holders' contingents!

I've worked on Athens 2004 and Torino 2006 (winter) games and yes I can tell you it is an amazing experience, especially the winter games.

It does have its moments though!!

There's basically two areas for us soundies, outside broadcast or ENG. If you are ENG, you will end up in what they call the "mixed zone". This is where the athletes come to for a quick interview after the event. If you're with any western country's crew, its relatively controlled. If you're shooting with an asian crew like I was (TV Tokyo), you'll find yourself in an all in situation!! For some reason, the Japanese crews dont wait till the athlete comes to them (which is what's suppossed to happen), they all rush for the same interview?? There might as well be one crew from one network there and then pool the vision. We had to stand in the mixed zone well before the event finished to hold our position, then when the athlete comes, everyone barges towards the athlete for the same interview. I dont know why we were made to wait in the mixed zone for hours just to walk away from our spot for an all in bun fight!!

If you're lucky enough to shoot colour stories, you've got it made. Cruise around all day to all the nice views and shoot pretty pictures and a few piece to camera's. Nice!!

Anyway, dont let me deter anyone from the experince, I say go and get it. There's plenty of opportunity there to be had.

What the Senator says about the set up is accurate. The IBC is a sight to behold, master control is like nothing you've ever seen.

Here's a pic of me at full stretch in a bun fight (blue T-shirt). She was the winner of the womens marathon.

Cheers

Peter Mega

post-3356-130815088868_thumb.jpg