I miss the warm glow of tubes...

Guest Jeffrey Colon

Guest Jeffrey Colon

I got myself a Yamaha 01V96... a deal too good to pass up.  It arrived about two weeks ago from the depths of Ebay. ...Been lusting for one since I did EPK on Big Momma's House2 and watched/listened Mark U. mix the show on it. I find the layers, patching, routing options etc. amazing... I've been lurking The Word Clock & Boom Recorder threads here...Take V. has been kind enough to thoughtfully answer my questions regarding Boom Recorder and voluenteer his ideas regarding my clocking issues.  Thanks Take!

So far, in testing, I am sending TC from a Deneke TS-3 and splitting it with one send to a track in Boom Recorder and the other to the SMPTE in on a MOTU828mk2.  The Motu's word clock out is connected to the Yamaha's word clock in via bnc.  The Yamaha is menu set to recieve clocking this way and the Motu is set to clock from Smpte. Currently, I have only used the ADAT I/Os and am tracking 48/24 across 8 tracks with no "Hits Runs or Errors"

Just a couple mentions.  I was getting some periodic pops.  I tried clocking every way imaginable, Looked at the manuals till my eyes blurred, read the posts over and over... Getting rid of the Fire Wire hub I was using solved this issue.  I suspect it may have had something to do with the fact it's in one of those stacked outbord drives...

The other issue of note is that depending on the powering up sequence, the Motu will reset itself to a 96khz sampling rate... This is at least easily noticed by the fact that it will only pass four tracks... I suspect this might be due to wishful thinking on the MOTU's part ;-J

Other than that, I just need to figure out how to make money with this rig... Oh, I forgot !... It sounds pretty darned good... and I miss the warm glow of tubes...

Jeff C.

Pretty rig.  Probably a wopping 6W RMS on the amp, right.  Class A...

Specs says 12w x2. But they have a 40 x2 version too...

iTube_402_3Qtr_R.jpg

...The ipod will be the worst sounding part of it!

I agree. fortunately there's a couple of line inputs on the back. I was thinking on hooking up my Stanton str8 turntable to that for listening my old (and new) vinyls...

Jeff C -

I've been using the Yamaha 01V-96 for almost four years. To keep the digital clocks happy you can let the Yamaha be the slave for 48K and not use the word clock in. The Adat lightpipe OUT into the Motu should be sufficient.

Here is my set up: I am using the AES-EBU 16 card to feed my digital audio to my Deva In and Out. I use the Adat OUT to feed the Adat IN of my Digi002 Rack. (think of the Digi002 as your Motu) I use the Firewire connection of the Digi002 to my Mac-Mini, where I'm using Boom Recorder. Everything is set to 48K, 24 Bit and I have no sync issues. The POPS you hear means that there is a hiccup in your Digital signals. Try my method and tell me if all is good.

I'm sure you know how to check the Yamaha's  DIO/SETUP button to get to the DIO/Setup WORD CLOCK page.

The source select button indicators are explained below:

'Clear Box' - A usable wordclock signal is present at this input, and it is in sync with the current

01V96 internal clock.

'X in Box' - No wordclock signal is present at this input.

Good Luck,

Richard Lightstone, CAS

I've been using the Yamaha 01V-96 for almost four years. To keep the digital clocks happy you can let the Yamaha be the slave for 48K and not use the word clock in. The Adat lightpipe OUT into the Motu should be sufficient.

I think this may even cause better audio by not using the word clock. If one only uses lightpipes between the motu and the yamaha, then there is no electrical path between the two devices, i.e. no groundloops and other nasties can happen.

I think Jeff C already fixed the popping sound, the popping sound seemed to be caused by his firewire hub. I am guessing that some of these hubs do not handle isochronous data streams in the correct way. It is likely that MOTU uses isochronous data streams, it doesn't have to, but it should.

Isochronous data streams are real time, devices on a firewire bus negotiate with each other how much bandwidth will be used by a real time device like an audio interface or a video camera; after the negotiation it is guaranteed you will get that bandwidth no matter what.

I could be wrong of course and something else with the firewire hub caused the problem.

Cheers,

Take