Modulus 5000 Issues?

Jim Rillie

Hi all,

My next TV project "Call me Fitz", the Camera Dept A focus puller has notified me that they are using the new Modulus 5000. Anyone had issues with this video transmitter? We have had issues with the huge RF splash from  the Modulus 3000's(attenuators on TX antennae helped big time). Have they corrected this RF distortion with the new model? or what?

FYI we are recording on Cantar and TC is by Denecke sync boxes to the Reds, TC only, no audio to cam (unnecessary in my opinion)

23.976, 24/48.

We will be doing tests on Tuesday. Will relate anything alarming if it detected.

Regards,

Jim Rillie

I am very excited to see this product.  HD/digital transmission sucks, and I much prefer to be able to tune in my old monitors to a TV station,  rather than run cables to video village.

The only issue I have had with the Modulus 3000 is when they are broadcasting in the neighborhood of my wireless blocks, or when I was booming with a Schoeps CMC it made it buzz if I got too close to camera.

Not sure if the new Modulus 5000 will be any better, but it doesn't matter much to me.  Bring on good old analog transmission!  No cables!

Robert

Did the older Modulus affect your wireless?  I only had problems with it w/ certain boom mics when nearby....

phil p

Yes, Phil, if a Modulus 3000 was within a gap of less than 3 or 4 TV UHF channels, it would definitely cause interference ion our wireless systems. Your mention of boom mics near the Modulus was usually handled to our satisfaction with attenuators on the Modulus antenna.

Regards,

Jim Rillie

Jim rillie

Maybe try the Zaxcom filtered antenna on the Modulus?

I am working on a TV show right now for FOX called RIDE-ALONG and we are dealing with A CAM and B CAM modulus 5000s. They are definitely causing us some trouble. We are getting very bad range. If a camera-mounted Modulus transmitter crosses our antennae line of sight, we usually get hits. We have been running our antennas out every shot. We had them use lower channel settings, but still seems to have a very wide RF output.

I have always asked they keep channels above 40 and have never had issues with the wireless.  Range issues with camera between you and actors can also be attributed to the numbers of bodies around camera, as well as other electronics.  Some mics can buzz, as previously discussed, if near the transmitter, but it's a rare issue and doesn't happen with most mics.

The Modulus is a very dirty transmitter that splashes harmonics all over the UHF spectrum.  Quick experiment...  put a tv receiver 50' from the Modulus and see on how many different channels the receiver picks up the video.  Usually it's at least 6.  Even if your radios are many channels away a harmonic from the Modulus can de-sensitive the receiver.  I've had many instances where we would rehearse a long walk and talk steadicam shot and everything would be fine.  As soon as they turn on the Modulus one or more of my radios (both digital and/or analog) would lose about 1/4 of its range.  A filtered antenna on the modulus will help.  Other options are an attenuator or changing freqs until you find one that is not affected.  It's not easy since it's the spurious signals that are the problem, not the primary freq. 

Billy S

Yes, Phil, if a Modulus 3000 was within a gap of less than 3 or 4 TV UHF channels, it would definitely cause interference ion our wireless systems. Your mention of boom mics near the Modulus was usually handled to our satisfaction with attenuators on the Modulus antenna.

Regards,

Jim Rillie

Jim rillie

Just lucky I guess--the Modulus 3000 was very popular for awhile.

phil p

I am working on a TV show right now for FOX called RIDE-ALONG and we are dealing with A CAM and B CAM modulus 5000s. They are definitely causing us some trouble. We are getting very bad range. If a camera-mounted Modulus transmitter crosses our antennae line of sight, we usually get hits. We have been running our antennas out every shot. We had them use lower channel settings, but still seems to have a very wide RF output.

Hi Michael,

Just finished day one with A and B cam using the Modulus 5000 TX's.

Worked out very well with One cam on ch 33 and one cam on ch 55. I was leery of the ch 33 one, since my booms and plant mics are on Block 22 (ch 28 to 32?), but all was good (nothing too demanding in terms of range or camera placement). The transmitted image was vastly improved over the Modulus 3000 as well. We'll see as things move along, but I think maybe they have tightened up their RF with the new model... The body mics on Block 24 (38 to 42 Mhz) seemed to not be affected by the new Video TX's.

That's my take for now..

Jim Rillie

Mod3K and mod5K are the same RF animal. the 5K only has a decimator converting HDSDI to SD between its input and the input of the transmitter which is a standard old mod3K. Most 5K have less power than 3K because the guys making it don't know how to tune it and how to keep internal radiation down. To keep mods (and the powerful commercial TV stations) from desensitising your RF mikes front end it might help to have antennae cut to your frequency not the usual sharkfins that receive everything from 400-800Mhz.  wolf

New idea.  If the Modulus is messing up your gear and your mojo, tip off the FCC and have them send a rep to shut it down.  They are illegal to operate in the United States after all.  Not sure what to do if you are shooting outside of the United States.  Maybe steal the power cable while nobody's looking?