The new Avid MBOX

Dre Rivera

Only thing is that if you want to use PTools, you cant use it with a Motu...

When you say MOTU if you are referring to Digital Performer software, the new MBox Pro may work with this. From the site:

"The Mbox Pro interface is also compatible with other major recording applications, so you can make music any way you want. All-new drivers provide superior performance with Logic, Live, Record, Reason, Fruity Loops, Cubase, Nuendo, Sonar, and more."

From the Digidesign website:

Hardware configuration:

8 x 8 simultaneous channels of I/O

4 mic inputs with 48 V phantom power and high pass filter (2 XLR/DI combo, 2 XLR)

4 1/4" TRS line inputs

2 unbalanced Alt line inputs (2 RCA, 1 mini 1/8”)

6 1/4" TRS balanced line outputs

2 discrete 1/4” stereo headphone outputs with separate volume controls

Stereo S/PDIF digital I/O

1 MIDI input, 1 MIDI output

Word clock I/O

Monitor control section with Mono, Mute, Dim, Alt Source, and Speaker A/B/C switching controls

Dedicated monitor volume knob

I think it is a pretty reasonable upgrade from their 2 series of MBOXs.  I don't feel that it meets my own requirements, so will not be buying one, but for those who need 2nd / 3rd seats in their facility, or are getting into Pro Tools, it is a good value.  More interesting will be what Avid does with the LE software, whether it will somehow merge with the new "Native HD" platform, or remain separate, but include features such as ADC, more editing shortcuts, and 192KHz support.  I'm waiting to see if there will be an 004 replacement, or the HD Omni with a native software will be the bridge product.

If there is an 004, I think that it should have only line inputs with 8/8 analog I/O, perhaps with an 8 channel preamp accessory for those that want an all-in-one branded solution, 8/8 digital I/O (prefer AES, but would take ADAT too), WC, MIDI (for MTC timecode), and proper metering.  1RU and DC power would be icing on the cake.  Being able to finally add units for aggregate I/O would make sense too, since everyone else allows this option.  New software is definitely on the way, and I think that will be the real gem or dud and future of Pro Tools.

From what I see of the specs and the back panel, only inputs 1-4 are balanced. All the other inputs are either unbalanced or the S/PDIF digital in. In other words, they're kind of being dodgy with calling it an "8-input" device. Technically, it is, but not like the Motu Traveller with 8 balanced analog inputs.

Pro Tools still will only work with Avid/Digi hardware. I'm sure Metacorder and Boom Recorder will work with the MBox Pro, but for the same money, the Traveller makes more sense for location sound.

--Marc W.

From what I see of the specs and the back panel, only inputs 1-4 are balanced. All the other inputs are either unbalanced or the S/PDIF digital in. In other words, they're kind of being dodgy with calling it an "8-input" device. Technically, it is, but not like the Motu Traveller with 8 balanced analog inputs.

--Marc W.

You have to read the spec carefully, you can't just look at the picture. When it states "4  1/4"  TRS Line Inputs" and "6  1/4" TRS Line Outputs" I believe the "TRS" (Tip-Ring-Sleeve) means that these are most likely BALANCED I/O. It is possible they are fudging on this but I don't think so.

-  Jeff Wexler

It is 8 balanced inputs.  Four are XLR that have phantom power for mic level inputs, and four are line level TRS (Balanced) inputs.

Unless I read the back panel wrong, both sets of input jacks are labeled 1-4, and the front knobs have "front/rear" switches. If the back panel TRS line jacks were for channels 5-8, you'd think they'd be identified that way.

I'll see if I can get the manual and will see if we can figure this out. But this also parallels my past experience with previous MBoxes. I'd really love to be wrong about this -- it'd be great if we had 4 mike/line inputs and 4 separate line-only inputs. But given that 5-6 appear to be unbalanced ins, and 7/8 seems to be occupied by an S/PDIF digital input, I'm skeptical.

--Marc W.

There are 4 balanced mic/line inputs. 1 & 2 are also DI inputs. Front panel switches select between the DI/mic connectors on the front panel and the TRS line level connectors for inputs 1 & 2 on the back panel. 3 & 4 work the same way via front panel switches, but all the connectors are on the back panel. The line level connectors are switch selectable in pairs between +4 and -10 via switches on the rear panel as well. Inputs 5/6 are unbalanced via RCAs or a 3.5 mm TRS connector. It appears that inputs 7/8 are via the SPDIF I/O included in the DB15 connector on the rear that also allows access to MIDI I/O and word clock I/O. The included adaptor appears to be identical to one that came with an M Audio interface I purchased a couple of years ago. Too short to do anything but make using the device harder and of marginal build quality.

The manual is here if you are interested.

Best regards,

Jim

Rumor would suggest that Pro Tools 9, supposedly being beta'd now, allows native operation.

Wow, that would be fantastic news, if true. You figure almost any computer made in the last 4-5 years should be able to handle this just fine without the hardware. The question for me is if they'll do a native version of Pro Tools HD, and still allow HD plug-ins.

--Marc W.

Wow, that would be fantastic news, if true. You figure almost any computer made in the last 4-5 years should be able to handle this just fine without the hardware. The question for me is if they'll do a native version of Pro Tools HD, and still allow HD plug-ins.

--Marc W.

hehe, I would be amazed to just see LE go native.

Senator, even two months of waiting will mean that I will have to rent a studio as against having my own PT rig that supports timecode and OMF... still torn between renting and owning...

Are you renting HD or LE systems?  If LE, I would just go get your own if you do enough work.  These products are always obsolete the minute you buy them.  Personally, I would rather buy the last generation of hardware/software before the next upgrade when it comes to Pro Tools.  Their hardware has not been changing much the last few years as much as the software has.  The software upgrades will continue to work with older hardware 90% of the time.