The new Avid MBOX

Dre Rivera

Senator, even two months of waiting will mean that I will have to rent a studio as against having my own PT rig that supports timecode and OMF... still torn between renting and owning...

If you have a PTLE system that doesn't have the DigiTranlater option (Big $ Bucks) for import of OMF it'll still work.....if you open the OMF on a system with DigiTranlater and save it...copy it and then take to your system with basic software. I've done this and it was all there, all laid out in sync.

Hey Vin, I hadn't considered advertising this on JW, as I figured there wouldn't have been as much of a market for it as other forums, but I do have an iLok with an MBOX Micro that I am selling.  Even if you have the 003, like I did, the Micro is a good tool to have as you can open projects at home or while abroad in the field.  I moved operations into a studio that has an HD system, so sold my 003 already and no longer need my MBOX / iLok.  The iLok has CPTK plus a lot more... They charge a $75 transfer fee per plug, so I figured it would simply be easier to sell the whole thing and just change the account log-on info rather than actually transferring the authorizations per plug.  The Avid account has the PT8 and download links for all the plugs, except for STRIKE, which I can ship the original disk along with the MBOX Micro and physical iLok.  I was looking for $1800.  I have one potential buyer here locally, but he hasn't pulled the trigger just yet.  I'll check with him today if he is still serious, and if not, it is up for grabs.  Here is the complete list of the authorizations...

[table][tr][td]BF Classic Compressors v4DigidesignLicenseNeverBF Fairchild Bundle v4DigidesignLicenseNeverBF Moogerfooger Bundle v4DigidesignLicenseNeverBF Voce Bundle v4DigidesignLicenseNeverBNR LEDigidesignLicenseNeverBomb Factory BF-3ADigidesignLicenseNeverComplete Production ToolkitDigidesignLicenseNeverCosmonaut VoiceDigidesignLicenseNeverDigiTranslatorDigidesignLicenseNeverEleven LEDigidesignLicenseNeverHybridDigidesign Advanced Instrument Research GroupLicenseNeverJOEMEEK SC2 CompressorDigidesignLicenseNeverJOEMEEK VC5 MeequalizerDigidesignLicenseNeverPro Tools MP3 ExportDigidesignLicenseNeverSmack! LEDigidesignLicenseNeverSoundCode StereoNeyrinck AudioLicenseNeverSoundReplacerDigidesignLicenseNeverStrikeDigidesign Advanced Instrument Research GroupLicenseNeverStructure LEDigidesign Advanced Instrument Research GroupLicenseNeverStructureContent LEDigidesign Advanced Instrument Research GroupLicenseNeverTel-Ray Variable DelayDigidesignLicenseNeverTL EveryPhaseTrillium Lane LabsLicenseNeverTL Space NativeTrillium Lane LabsLicenseNeverTransfuserDigidesign Advanced Instrument Research GroupLicenseNeverTransfuser ContentDigidesign Advanced Instrument Research GroupLicenseNeverX-FormDigidesignLicenseNever

[/td][/tr][/table]

Wow, that would be fantastic news, if true. You figure almost any computer made in the last 4-5 years should be able to handle this just fine without the hardware. The question for me is if they'll do a native version of Pro Tools HD, and still allow HD plug-ins.

--Marc W.

Would a native version of HD mean you could have a choice of hardware setup without the Accel cards and just use other external DSP solutions ? Or none at all ?

Would a native version of HD mean you could have a choice of hardware setup without the Accel cards and just use other external DSP solutions ? Or none at all ?

I could see LE going native, but not HD.  Their main purpose, or what used to be was selling their hardware.

The apple business plan does not work anymore.

Protools have had ASIO for the last 6 years. It is another story how well the drivers worked.

When you say MOTU if you are referring to Digital Performer software, the new MBox Pro may work with this. From the site:

"The Mbox Pro interface is also compatible with other major recording applications, so you can make music any way you want. All-new drivers provide superior performance with Logic, Live, Record, Reason, Fruity Loops, Cubase, Nuendo, Sonar, and more."

Importing OMF cost extra?????????????????

LOL

If you have a PTLE system that doesn't have the DigiTranlater option (Big $ Bucks) for import of OMF it'll still work.....if you open the OMF on a system with DigiTranlater and save it...copy it and then take to your system with basic software. I've done this and it was all there, all laid out in sync.

The apple business plan does not work anymore.

Protools have had ASIO for the last 6 years. It is another story how well the drivers worked.

And Digidesign/Avid's has worked about as well. They have a near-captive marked and are generally about one OS iteration behind.

And heaven forbid you really want to use the machine ProTools is installed on for anything else.

Best regards,

Jim

Still using Nuendo 3 and RME . Never had any problems.

I remember laughing at the mbox advertising : NOW WITH MIDI.

And Digidesign/Avid's has worked about as well. They have a near-captive marked and are generally about one OS iteration behind.

And heaven forbid you really want to use the machine ProTools is installed on for anything else.

Best regards,

Jim

I need timecode (BWF spotting) and the higher track count...

Rado, I am no pro tools freak and have used pretty much every possible DAW in the past. problem here is that Nuendo does not translate all automation etc with the OMF transfers, so working on Nuendo and then taking OMF to pro tools based mix stages is a big problem.

-vin

It's all speculation. This kind of stuff is debated daily on the Digidesign User Confererence (now run under Avid's site), and as far as I know, the Digi employees can't talk about unreleased products.

--Marc W.

Have no problem importing OMF from PT. Have not done it the other way yet.

I need timecode (BWF spotting) and the higher track count...

Rado, I am no pro tools freak and have used pretty much every possible DAW in the past. problem here is that Nuendo does not translate all automation etc with the OMF transfers, so working on Nuendo and then taking OMF to pro tools based mix stages is a big problem.

-vin

" Pro Tools 9, supposedly being beta'd now, allows native operation. "

" In a long-anticipated announcement, Avid has introduced Pro Tools|HD Native.   “Pro Tools HD software, running on an HD Native card, is identical to Pro Tools   HD software running on an HD core card, it just doesn’t have DSP,”  "

http://prosoundnews.com/article/31954

Pro Tools|HD Native will be available worldwide from November 4th. The core system, software and PCIe card, retails for $3495. 

• 4 weeks later...