Which microphones do you carry on your kit?

gabi

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy, I don't know a sound professional who doesn't want to talk about what's in their kit, or mic closet.

I currently own

1 Sanken CS 3e

1 Sanken CS 2

Schoeps CMC 6 with Cut 1 MK 41 and MK 4 caps

3 x COS 11

2 x Trams

2 x B6

2 x VT 506

2 x OST 801

1 x Sennheiser MD 42

2 x Sure SM 58

2 x Sure SM 57

1 x Sennheiser e 902

1 x AT 4050

1 x SE Z 5600 A

1 x MC 012

Matched Pair Rode NT5's

2 x DIY ribbons

The complete list goes out on multitrack music gigs only, but more often travel with the two shotguns, schoeps, lavs and handheld. 

these days, i take out with me as a matter of course

1 super cmit

1 ccm41

dpa 4063s

cos 11's and cubs if i think i might need them. but not so often these days.

Wish I could trust talent / contributors not to wreck my DPA lavs but it almost makes me cry to see them being ripped off before I can get to them! Do you not find them a bit fragile? Maybe you're not using the microdot connector version which would help but even then...... I've had some damage so I only use them for special occasions!

Wish I could trust talent / contributors not to wreck my DPA lavs but it almost makes me cry to see them being ripped off before I can get to them! Do you not find them a bit fragile? Maybe you're not using the microdot connector version which would help but even then...... I've had some damage so I only use them for special occasions!

Clip the microdot off the DPA lav and wire it to your connector. They are way more reliable after you do that.

Wish I could trust talent / contributors not to wreck my DPA lavs but it almost makes me cry to see them being ripped off before I can get to them! Do you not find them a bit fragile? Maybe you're not using the microdot connector version which would help but even then...... I've had some damage so I only use them for special occasions! Clip the microdot off the DPA lav and wire it to your connector. They are way more reliable after you do that.
Exactly what I did in the past. Plus this adaptor makes the whole connection longer so more prone to act as a leverage for damage. Plus it slack sometimes giving bad connection so very aggressive noise in your cans. Plus it's expensive. But it does make a nice, satisfactory sound when you ditch it in the "no more used items" drawer.

OK thanks of course the microdots are handy because I can screw different connectors on them (I have Micron small 6 pin and Audio large 6 pin) I'll just have to decide which I'll use with which transmitters - which have different connectors and adapter leads are cumbersome, and anyway some connectors don't have flying lead sockets available like the 3 pin Lemo's that Sennheiser use don't have them and so on and so on.......... choices choices!

Sorry all off topic.

This is what I own and what is on my follow cart.

2 - Schoeps CMC641

2 - Schoeps CMIT5

1 - Schoeps BLM

1 - Schoeps MK8

1 - Senn MKH60

1 - Senn MKH50

2 - Sankan CUBs

10 - Sankan CoS11 (6black/2white/2tan)

6 - Trams

4 - Countryman B6s

2 - SM57s

2 - Eletrovoice HH mic

1 - AKG HH

Oh, and of course my wonderful Lectro lav mics. M170? Don't remember. Perfect for when you don't care.

There is a box of mics in the garage from my music days but since we are talking about what we CARRY i won't mention those. ;-)

Has anyone ever used a beyerdynamic 950 indoors?

I loved to use it on a music studio and never had a chance to use it

in a shoot. 

Fun thread !

So, the list from my TV job (my personal one is ridiculous...)

2x cmit5u

2x mkh50

2x 416 (only use them for plants though, we never use it on the pole)

4x cos11

I guess the answer is "it depends".

Many/most days I don't carry anything. My boom ops do. The pronoun says you. Meaning you are the person carrying it.

Senator, why? Just why why why?

Mr Harber

Because he is a sad, pathetic, infantile, small minded person desperately searching for attention - any attention at all, the quality of the attention doesn't matter, just as long as someone is paying attention.

Reminds me of a 3 year old child, or perhaps you remember the great Warner Brothers cartoons of the big, tough bulldog patrolling the streets with a much smaller yappy little dog bouncing all over the place trying to impress him, trying anything to get his attention? The little yappy dog does anything at all, whatever it takes, just so long as he can get even just a few seconds of attention?

Mostly the bigger dog just says "Nah..." and belts him away, but, just like the Senator, he must continue to try and impress, he craves the attention so much that he's prepared to sacrifice anything to get it - his dignity, his self-respect, anything at all, no price is too high. So long as he gets even just a tiny amount of attention the craving is satisfied for that brief moment... but then soon after, he quickly needs another shot and so on it goes.

Same same...

Mostly I used to feel just sad for him. Sad for what state he must be in to deprave himself so much and so often... Now though, I just look/read in the face of complete, utter ignorance and just smile...

99% of the time his reply's/comments are just so banal and just scream of a deep insecurity, though on that rare occasion, at about the same frequency of total solar eclipses, he can actually contribute something worthwhile - but the moments are rare, very, very rare.

Rgd's

Timlin

Usually have:

CMIT 5U

MKH50

MKH70 (used only for outdoors)

CS2

CUB (used mainly for plant)

2 Rode NTG3's for backup's 

AT stereo/MS for field recording

assortment of cos11's, countryman's, and trams.

Have a whole batch of new and vintage mics in the studio.  That's a whole other list

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Mr Harber

Because he is a sad, pathetic, infantile, small minded person desperately searching for attention - any attention at all, the quality of the attention doesn't matter, just as long as someone is paying attention.

Reminds me of a 3 year old child, or perhaps you remember the great Warner Brothers cartoons of the big, tough bulldog patrolling the streets with a much smaller yappy little dog bouncing all over the place trying to impress him, trying anything to get his attention? The little yappy dog does anything at all, whatever it takes, just so long as he can get even just a few seconds of attention?

Mostly the bigger dog just says "Nah..." and belts him away, but, just like the Senator, he must continue to try and impress, he craves the attention so much that he's prepared to sacrifice anything to get it - his dignity, his self-respect, anything at all, no price is too high. So long as he gets even just a tiny amount of attention the craving is satisfied for that brief moment... but then soon after, he quickly needs another shot and so on it goes.

Same same...

Mostly I used to feel just sad for him. Sad for what state he must be in to deprave himself so much and so often... Now though, I just look/read in the face of complete, utter ignorance and just smile...

99% of the time his reply's/comments are just so banal and just scream of a deep insecurity, though on that rare occasion, at about the same frequency of total solar eclipses, he can actually contribute something worthwhile - but the moments are rare, very, very rare.

Rgd's

Timlin

this was a really nice thread until you posted that.... just sayin,  uncalled for.

my humble hawaii biscuit kit

4063 x 4

cos11 x 3

416 x 2

816 x 2

mkh50 (thanks to senator for suggesting this has the least echo, reverb and delay;-) lol

km185 (another from senator, who said this is the same cap as the 150, which saved me 600$)

very soon,  super cmit, another mkh50 and more cowbell.

Ridicule Senators comments as deserved but know that he does know what he's talking about when it comes to equipment specifics.

Eric

no.. please don't get me wrong.. it was an inside joke for an old thread, where senator schooled me on a few acoustics issues I was lacking experience in. 

but it really did lead me to the mkh50 purchase. 

and believe me,  I know he knows.