Which microphones do you carry on your kit?

gabi

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off the top of my head...

Schoeps CMC641 x 3

Sennheiser MKH30

Sennheiser MKH40

Sennheiser MKH50

Sennheiser MKH60

Sennheiser MKH70

Sennheiser MKH416

Sennheiser MKH816

Sanken CUB1 x 2

Tram TR50s x 6

Countryman B6 x 6

PA: EV RE50 x 2

Shure SM58 x 4

Shure 555S

Next purchase will probably be a CMIT (standard, non-AES digital).

--Marc W.

Do you mean like all the time--every job, or just on the biggest jobs or what?  For music recording I have a large 16-hole mic case of the kind made for traveling sound reinforcement systems, and it's full beyond capacity--all the holes and all the extra space too.  For verite doco I skinny it all down to a couple of boom mics and a brace of wirelesses.  I use pretty much what everyone else here uses for dialog, for music I have some oddball choices (Shure KSM27s and KSM109s--ok, call me crazy) and some nicer more accepted things too (Schoeps, Neumann, Beyer).  Fave mic of all: Schoeps MK2s, an omni.  Pretty magical in a nice space, next to useless for movie production sound.

Mics are to recordists what guitars are to rock musicians: you can't have too many, and there is always one (or a pair) you don't have that you've always wanted....

phil p

mk2  works grate in  a parked car back sit + driver head turns , that the people don't have it  doesn't mean you cant use it :-)

That's very true, but in recent years I had better luck w/ CUB1 for that situation, and much faster for me to mount/move etc..  Someday I'll get a 2nd MK2 so I can use them for a room pair for classical type music.....

phil p

I'm curious about the Octava MK012's?  Are they decent mics.  Might pick up a couple if they are worth it.

While not great on a boom re handling noise, I think they are one of the best audio deals out there.  They are always around used on music forums like Gearslutz for decent prices, if not Craigslist.  I've got 4 and didn't pay any more than $100 each for any of them.  I did a lot of comparing with mics like SD Schoeps and Neumann and they were very close--even these ones of mine that haven't had the best of care.  I like them a lot, and don't see any real reason to buy them new.  (Frankly, I don't think their QC is good enough to care about "matched pairs" or "consecutive serial numbers" etc..)  Don't be put off by the internet blather about fakes--that all happened a long time ago and I haven't seen a bootleg for sale in several years.

phil p

While not great on a boom re handling noise, I think they are one of the best audio deals out there.  They are always around used on music forums like Gearslutz for decent prices, if not Craigslist.  I've got 4 and didn't pay any more than $100 each for any of them.  I did a lot of comparing with mics like SD Schoeps and Neumann and they were very close--even these ones of mine that haven't had the best of care.  I like them a lot, and don't see any real reason to buy them new.  (Frankly, I don't think their QC is good enough to care about "matched pairs" or "consecutive serial numbers" etc..)  Don't be put off by the internet blather about fakes--that all happened a long time ago and I haven't seen a bootleg for sale in several years.

phil p

Thanks Phil.  That's very helpful.

As for the handling noise, do you have this one: http://www.oktavausa.com/ProductsPages/MK-012-01FilmEditon.html.  It says its there film edition.  I'm wondering if handling noise would be better on them.

Most live in the cupboard but here goes.

AKG 480 Shotgun

Sennheiser MKH 8050

Sanken CS1

MKH 416T

MKH 816T

MKH 815T

AKG CK1

AKG CK7 x2

AKG CK93 x 2

AKG CK98 x 8

Sanken CSS5

Rode NT4

Rode NT5 x2

Rode NT3

Rode NTG-2

AudioTechnica 895

Tram for radios x 2

Tram for XLR x 2

Sanken COS11 x 2

Countryman B6

Shure SM63 x 2

Shure SM58

There's probably a few others things I've forgotten.

Adam

Tram for radios x 2

Tram for XLR x 2

Just as a plug for these guys, the guys at Oscar Sound Tech have a very cool (and affordable) little TA5-to-XLR adapter originally designed for their very-similar-to-Tram lavs. It's basically like a 2" tube that has a TA5 male in one end an an XLR-male at the other end, which will allow you to use your TA5 wireless mikes for XLR phantom-powered connections. Terrific design. They can make them up either for regular Lectro or servo-bias Lectro.

RoundPS-2-296x259.jpg

--Marc W.

Petros,

I usually the 441 for on set voice over recording, custom effects eg strings of chinnese fire crackers, a F111 dump and burn. Basicly stupidly loud stuff that still needs to sound great, take your pick from Oleg's list.  Sounds even better though the sonosax pre's :P

In answer to how long I've been gathering my mic's about 4 years or so.