Zaxcom fall 2010 seminar and Barbeque Oct 30th at Coffey Sound

glenn

Zaxcom fall 2010 seminar and  Barbeque Oct 30th at Coffey Sound

Glenn Sanders and Colleen  Goodsir will present a live demonstration of Zaxcom's latest products and  technology from 10:30AM to 1:00PM followed by a catered barbeque lunch. With the  impending addition of white space devices to the limited spectrum we now use  Zaxcom will focus on solutions that will keep your production sound clean and  interference free.

Please RSVP with Steve at  Coffey sound if you plan to attend.

Items to be covered:

White space device  interference with wireless microphones

Digital wireless microphones  and the future of wireless microphone use

Practical use of recording  wireless microphones

Use of the TRX900LTS 2  channel body pack transmitter

-QRX100 4 channel ENG  receiver with IFB and timecode return channel

-TRX942 boom pole  transmitter supporting AES42 and analog microphones

-TRX900LT recording body  pack transmitter with timecode and ZaxNet remote control reception

-TRX900LTS dual microphone  stereo transmitting body pack

-ERX1TCD IFB monitor  receiver with Delay and timecode distribution system

-MICPLEXER tm  audio bag antenna/power distributor and 250mW  filtered link amplifier

-ZAXPAQ12  12 audio channel wireless receiver system for  Sound bag and cart use

-ZaxNet timecode, wireless  remote control, IFB and meta-data distribution system

New product descriptions:

TRX942 is a wireless  microphone transmitter designed to support Analog 48V powered and AES42  compliant digital microphones (Schoeps Super CMIT). Typically utilized with  shotgun style microphones on boom poles, the TRX942 is  a complete solution for the boom pole  operator. The TRX942 features AES42 microphone support, analog mic or line  input with 18V-48V phantom power, IFB receiver, headphone monitor mixer,  internal SD card recorder, 100% digital hard wire quality audio transmission, 6  hour maximum battery life and ZaxNet remote control reception. The TRX942 is  about the size of a portable 2 way radio.

TRX900LTS is a 2 channel  wireless transmitter with 2 microphone level inputs. The TRX900LTS is designed  to transmit a stereo image from a single body pack style transmitter. Utilizing  2 lavaliere style microphones the TRX900LTS can be used in sports type  applications where a stereo broadcast image enhances the experience of the home  viewer. The TRX900LTS also features 2 channel internal recording and ZaxNet  remote control reception.

MICPLEXER tm. is a new  classification of product for the production sound mixer. The MICPLEXER allows  for the seamless operation of wireless within a sound bag without the typical  interference and intermodulation generation common to all sound bags with FM  wireless microphones transmitting and receiving at the same time. The unit  distributes a single receive antenna pair to up to 4 wireless receivers. The  transmitter side of the MICPLEXER filters and amplifies a 50mW wireless  transmitter to a power level of 250mW keeping the signal clean of any RF that  would interfere with the receivers in the sound bag. The MICPLEXER has up to  60dB of RF isolation between the transmitter side and the receiver side. TX to  RX spacing must be 50 MHz or 2 Blocks minimum. A 12V power conditioner and  distributor are also included.

ZAXPAQ12 accepts 3 QRX100  receivers and 1 MICPLEXER to form a modular RF microphone system that provides  interference free transmission of a Zaxcom stereo transmitter at 250 mw power  level and reception up to 12 audio channels from 6 Zaxcom stereo transmitters.  Zaxpaq12 is portable and designed to operate from a sound bag or sound cart.

• 1 month later...

I don't do any bag work so I cannot speak from any direct personal experience, but most impressive thing that was shown was the ZaxPaq, designed primarily for bag work. I have heard, and read about here, all the problems that people have putting transmitters and receivers in the same bag, and the ZaxPaq seems to be a real solution. It puts 3 QRX-100 receivers (which can receive up to 6 mono transmitters or 6 stereo transmitters) and the Micplexer which does the usual multicoupler function (distributes power to the receivers and allows for the use of just 2 antennas) but also a lot of other neat things Glen explained that prevent the transmitters from interacting with the receivers, etc.).

The other thing at the event that was good was the chance for people to see the new TRX-900LT which is a terrific transmitter, beautiful rugged package, runs on a single AA for 4 or 5 hours, full recording capability and remote control, the works --- and for a very competitive price.

-  Jeff Wexler

I don't do any bag work so I cannot speak from any direct personal experience, but most impressive thing that was shown was the ZaxPaq, designed primarily for bag work. I have heard, and read about here, all the problems that people have putting transmitters and receivers in the same bag, and the ZaxPaq seems to be a real solution. It puts 3 QRX-100 receivers (which can receive up to 6 mono transmitters or 6 stereo transmitters) and the Micplexer which does the usual multicoupler function (distributes power to the receivers and allows for the use of just 2 antennas) but also a lot of other neat things Glen explained that prevent the transmitters from interacting with the receivers, etc.).

-  Jeff Wexler

I am thinking the zaxpaq  would be handy to remote receivers on a cart based job.

ao

I am thinking the zaxpaq  would be handy to remote receivers on a cart based job.

ao

It could work just fine this way --- sits on the cart until you need to remote it. Remember, it does not have its own battery, it would always have to be powered by an external 12 dc source. I have a very early Zaxcom quad box that houses 4 receivers and a multicoupler. It sits on the cart mostly but I have removed it when necessary. Only 4 receivers and much larger than the ZaxPaq.

i am hoping that the zaxpaq is very small and that with the micplexer and qrx receivers, is practical to use in the bag, as thats how i will be using it for the foreseeable future.

i look forward to having a look it at when pictures are available and when one arrives over here.

was there a working  version of the 942 on show?

i am hoping that the zaxpaq is very small and that with the micplexer and qrx receivers, is practical to use in the bag, as thats how i will be using it for the foreseeable future.

i look forward to having a look it at when pictures are available and when one arrives over here.

was there a working  version of the 942 on show?

I don't have the measurements but it looked to be a little less wide than the Lectro Octopak (I know, the ZaxPaq is 2 short of 8 but believe me, it is a totally different animal) and possibly slightly taller --- certainly would fit in a bag nicely.

Glen did demonstrate a working 942 with the Schoeps Super-CMIT digital microphone. The 942 supplies the mic power and current demands for a digital mic and allows for an AES output at the receiver to feed the AES input on any recorder. The only downside I see, besides the cost of the mic, is that it definitely cuts the run time on the battery in the 942 vs. the excellent run time when using conventional microphones. The battery is easily and quickly changed out, of course.

thanks Jeff. just what i'd hoped to hear.

will happily trade off a bit of run time to have the super CMIT wireless - job ive got coming up, i dont expect to have too many properly controlled locations, and the super CMIT will make things a little easier.

Here is a link to a picture of the completed receiver package. This will receive up to 12 channels of audio from 6 transmitters. The full discription will be on our site soon. The unit is a bit smaller than the Zaxcom Fusion recorder. It should be available in a few weeks.

Glenn

http://www.zaxcom.com/images/MicPlexer.jpg

Thanks Glenn and Jeff. that looks a good system.

one question that occurs is, is it or could it be possible to switch off the power amp for the transmitter to save a bit of battery life for the days when you dont need the camera link? or is the current drain low enough to not need to worry about it.

thanks

The Transmitter source is any TRX900 and will connect to the Micplexer via a cable. The Micplexer boosts the signal up to 250mW while providing 50 dB of attenuation for any RF emission that is 50 MHz away from the center of the block the amp is in. The receiver side has about 25 Db of attenation of the signal from the amp side.

The Amp when not used is a negligable draw on the battery so it is always on and ready.

Glenn

Won't be able to attend but I'm hoping that we continue to be spoiled with the great video coverage that Coffey Sound has provided in the past!  - lots of cool new gear to drool over.

Thanks Derek.  We're working on editing the video now and I expect it up in the coming days.  Thanks to Glenn for making Saturday a great day for everyone.

This is the sexiest picture I have ever seen.

Are these the Deva side panels/dimensions?

Here is the image, posted here (I don't think there is any more detail yet up on the Zaxcom website.

(the image from the Zaxcom website link is much bigger, clearer:  http://www.zaxcom.com/images/MicPlexer.jpg )

-  Jeff Wexler

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...