Microphone Shuts Down Dallas Airport

Marc Wielage

Whoa, this is a pretty amazing news story that happened this past week:

This was a hand-made microphone owned by a member of the vocal pop group, the Polyphonic Spree (which is a pretty avant-garde group I saw perform with Brian Wilson a few years ago at the Hollywood Bowl).

I suspect the authorities were very suspicious because the mike didn't carry the usual brand names, and so they somehow mistook it for a pipe bomb.

It reminds me never to carry a shotgun microphone in my luggage and use either the words "shot" or "gun"...

--Marc W.

Have they ever found a bomb in a suitcase before?

In Europe they are not as strict as here.

Funny story in 2001 December I flew from Varna to Odessa with AeroFlot.

There were 3 Russian oligarchy people in hunting clothes and caring there shotguns on the plain.

The were drinking from a case of Vodka and offering it everybody on the plain.

An Old American couple were shitting their pants.

They refused the Vodka which made the hunters very annoyed.

But after drunk guys with shotguns on the plain raise there voice to you ... You will drink... For sure...

Yeah, don't mention it's a shotgun, and definitely don't say you're on a business trip to shoot a pilot!!

So like George Carlin says:

Dying in a te@r*r*orist act is a minor risk. Not worthy to be concerned.

The scene from BRAZIL where they are having dinner in an expansive restaurant and in the other corner a b@mb explodes.

Nobody pays attention!!!

And actually that is what the Brits did in the 80s. Instead of Fear they just pretty much did not pay attention.

[glow=red,2,300]There is no terrorizing  if the people are not scared.[/glow]

Yeah, don't mention it's a shotgun, and definitely don't say you're on a business trip to shoot a pilot!!

Years ago we were reporting to the Century Plaza Hotel penthouse to work on a PSA for "Just say No" with Nancy Reagan.  President Reagan had his office on the top floor and that was where we were to setup.

When we got to security they looked at all our cases and asked why we were here and the woman who was my prompter operator stated quite flatly:  "Yeah we're here to shoot Nancy Reagan for that drug thing". 

Needless to say that didn't go over well with the secret service.

---Courtney

There must have been bunches of "Just Say No" spots filmed at the Reagan offices in Century City so I expect yours is entirely different from mine.

I did one with Rusty Roland shooting. I recall that the process of getting through security was quite cumbersome and the delays, if one had to get something additional from the truck, were considerable.

But, once we began setting up and working, everything went very well. Production wanted a hidden microphone for the spot and I recall gingerly approaching Mrs. Reagan with the lav and asking if I could rig her. She said something along the lines of, "Honey, just do whatever you need to do."

I did and all went well.

David

I seem to remember reading about something like this happening to this guy several years ago - or maybe this is an old news report.

FWIW, here's the mic in question:

[img width=289 height=286 alt=The Copperphone] copperphone.jpg

They're pretty beautiful - old 'Princess' phone diaphragms in a nice copper case w/ an XLR connector in the back.  Kind of an old AM radio effect.  Supposedly great for kick drum micing.

I can't help but relate it to the 'Terror Device!!!!' Aqua Teen Cartoon Network 'scandal' a couple of years ago.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

-A.

The one thing that I noticed in the interview which was well after the fact, was that the guy (forgot his name) said something like "well it was not full of plutonium..." or something to that effect.

Maybe he finds airport security a pain and can make sarcastic jokes about it. Yes, I know he was stopped and questioned by the FBI etc. But I'd much rather have Airport Security err on the side of caution, be thorough and even suspicious, than a WTF attitude and then another time...."KABOOM".

• 3 weeks later...

containers going from LA to East coast with film equipment now are unpacked at the airport, X-Rayed and repacked in a less than professional manner breaking sturdy boxes etc. Make sure all your stuff is "baggage handler proof" = in fiberglass shipping cases.  And I thought that "known shippers" for the studios could prevent this harassment.

-- dont forget to cable tie your Pelican cases, they do pop open in pressurization changes.

arrrgh wolf

"dont forget to cable tie your Pelican cases, they do pop open in pressurization changes."

I put in extra ties with a note to the TSA or whomever, asking to please re-tie them, sometimes they do, sometimes they don't, sometime they never open the case(s) These days I ship the gear (aside from a basic carry-on kit) via FedEx or UPS, if that's an option.