first audio recording ever

wolfvid

WOW!  This is awesome - another thread for the "Historical" category!

It is also really funny how she breaks up laughing - the recording is pretty haunting and awful you can't really tell if it's a human voice or some demon.  You could re-catagorize this audio clip as modern experimental music.  It only played in IE, not Firefox for some reason.

Thank you for the post I loved it!

Dan Izen

I was listening to this 1860 recording again and I was wondering - does anyone know anything about this process the dude used?  A needle scratching paper that had burn marks in it?!  How would this device play back anything?

What a great clip thanks again!

Dan Izen

I first came across this recording at a special seminar presented at the AES / 2008 San Fran.

It was a stunning demonstration and a great listen, with a great sound system in place - a highlight at that convention for me!

The room was completely captivated - it was eerie, given that we were listening to something from 1860

at a real performance level.  (yes it was a bit scratchy and buried in 150 years of noise floor, but absolutely intelligible)

It was much more a "printed transcription" than a true recording, and they were very clear in the distinction at the presentation.

Picture a large balloony transducer stimulating a pen, writing to a moving (pulled by hand!) paper scroll. 

Equally remarkable was the process described to "decode" the scroll - obtaining the frequency, modulation and amplitude.

The process took a long time and a lot of sincere dedication.

Check out :

http://www.firstsounds.org/

http://www.firstsounds.org/sounds/index.php

Michael Filosa, CAS

Atlanta