Browsers: Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera

redge

Like someone else, who asked a question about Safari in an earlier thread, I don't know whether this part of the site contemplates discussion about computer issues that are not directly related to sound recording.

Just a note to say that after downloading the new Internet Explorer 7, Microsoft's first thorough reworking of IE in years, a few weeks ago (I gather that earlier this week, it was installed via the internet, automatically, on the computers of most Windows users), I decided to have a look at Opera and Firefox. I had not tried these products before.  It turns out that there are quite big differences between these interfaces with the internet. In my case, I was so impressed with Opera that I am now using it in place of IE. Anyway, for those who are curious about the alternative products, and haven't tried them, they are worth checking out. Just recognize two things, which took me a bit of time to figure out. If you run Windows, IE has to stay on your computer, partly because it is more than a browser (it is essential for upgrades), and partly because there are some web sites (not many, but some of them are important) that IE can read and Opera and Firefox can't.

Curious to know, if it isn't too far off topic, whether others are using Opera or Firefox instead of IE, and, if so, why.

Cheers

i used to use IE for years on my PCs, but i'm a firefox fan now. when i used opera back in the day, i remember it not having any Java support...is this still the case? that was the whole reason why i never stayed with it...pointless to have to fire up IE every 10 minutes because everything uses java these days.