Boom Pole repair advice

RadoStefanov

• 3 years later...

Hi Rado,

Did you ever have success with epoxy fixing your boom pole?

I have an ancient beat up VDB eight foot pole with a pretty severe break in the middle of the second section (second from the tip), that I'd like to make usable again. It's too expensive to replace it from VDB, so I'm going the DIY route.

Has anyone found a good material (epoxy or anything else) to repair an old boom pole?

Cheers,

Sean O'Neil

Brooklyn NYC

sorry Sean. I was out of the office most of the day yesterday and had no internet a lot of today. We got new office furniture in and I had to tear down my setup and re-do it all for the new stuff.

Anyway...the glue we use is actually NASA spec. I actually don't know where we get it, but I do know you can't get it off the shelf anywhere. There's this whole process of mixing things and then we color it black and all this stuff. I don't know all the technical details behind it but Manfred had sourced it long ago. The glue is only used to glue the threaded sleeves and the head piece onto the pole. If you have a section of your boom pole that is broken it is best to replace it. In fact I would advise against trying to fix it at all. It could break in the middle of a take or fall apart at the worst time, and that would be a bummer.

When it comes to doing any sort of re-gluing on a boom pole it is best to have the manufacturer do it. Unfortunately, we do not service other boom pole brands at K-Tek. I would like to for the convenience of it for customers, but if I were to try to service another brand of boom pole I couldn't guarantee that it would be up to factory spec and we don't know all the materials other manufacturers use...it's best for us to just not do it. 

Hi Dave,

Thanks for checking in and I certainly appreciate the feedback and expertise of someone from K-Tek.  

However I will definitely keep my eyes peeled the next time I'm on a NASA doc, and I'll make sure there's extra space in my Pelican case.

Cheers,

Sean O'Neil

Brooklyn NYC

Am I missing something here? It's a precision-manufactured carbon fiber pole, which slides with a little space between sections. How on earth is gluing a cracked pole a proper fix? It would never occur to me to try.

You're going to hang some hacked up, self-glued, broken boom pole over someone on camera?

Buy a new pole and get the old one fixed as a back-up.