Category/topic notification via RSS Feed?

redge

I subscribe to one of the categories and some topics in order to get e-mail notification of new posts. For me, this is a very handy feature of the site. It would be even better if I could subscribe to a category or topic via RSS feed. Just a thought. I don't know how easy/difficult it would be to implement this, or what others think.

Best

• 10 months later...

You'll be able to integrate RSS feeds with this mod:

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=376

There's actually a few of them listed on the SMF website, but this one specifically mentions compatibility with your version.

I have had really bad luck with mods I have installed here in the past. One of the mods I installed actually brought the whole forum down for most of one day. The other inherent problem with most all of the mods is that they often do not work with any themes other than the default SMF theme. I am running a custom theme here (which I think we all like) and I would not want to go back to the boring default SMF theme just to add an RSS icon. If I can find a way to experiment and demonstrate that this mod works without risking bringing the Discussion Group to a crashing halt, I will do it.

I believe that if you are using Safari (or a standalone RSS reader) you can just copy and paste the URL from the topic page you are on (or for that matter, just click the RSS icon in Safari address box) and you have your feed.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler