Payment before a shoot to cover equipment rental?

AcapellaAudio

I need to rent a big package for a week shoot for a production company I haven;t worked for  (or heard of).  Does anyone require a downpayment on the rental before the shoot?  I usually use my gear, but have decided to get the whole package coordinated to make it easier on me.  Since I'm not in a major market I have to deal with shipping and insurance as well.

Just doing some CYA, here.

Thanks,

Dave

I need to rent a big package for a week shoot for a production company I haven;t worked for  (or heard of).  Does anyone require a downpayment on the rental before the shoot?  I usually use my gear, but have decided to get the whole package coordinated to make it easier on me.  Since I'm not in a major market I have to deal with shipping and insurance as well.

Just doing some CYA, here.

Thanks,

Dave

Have the client put up their credit card to rent the gear or absolutely get rental money up front and the balance at wrap. You're not in the business of financing their project.

Eric

I wouldn't have my name or insurance involved at all--let the client deal w/ the rental house directly: their insurance, credit card etc.  If you DO pass the rentals through your own business, you should be entitled to a markup to cover the costs of doing that, plus liability plus paperwork.  That usually persuades producers to rent the gear on their own account right there.

phil p

I do what Philip does, tho I will usually talk to the rental guy myself, arrange the package I want with him, and tell him to expect a call from the producer with payment and insurance info. Then I follow up to make sure the production made the call.

It is a bit of a risk, it has happened where the producer does something weird, and I wish the rental guy didn't know I was involved. But by now I think they know I'm ok.

To me the bigger risk would be production ordering the wrong gear.

If I'm paying for a rental and laying out my credit card, I am entitled to a markup.

No one has ever complained.

Best

Dennis