Windscreen Suggestions

justanross

Hey Gang,

I just tested out the Oktava MK-012 mic and I loved it.  I can't get over a mic being that cheap could sound that good.  I'm planning on picking up acouple.  But i'd like a good windscreen for them.  I hear the Schoeps B5D is pretty amazing.  Do any of you know if they will work on the MK-012's?

And I also just got a MKH50, suggestions windscreen for that would be wicked.  Thanks guys.

Justan

The Schoeps B5D is a terrific windscreen, hollow foam with a solid plastic base, but it will not work with the Octava. The Octava, as you can see in the image, has a peculiar flared ridge with a diameter considerably greater than the body of the mic. This precludes using any of the windscreens that have a collar that is the proper diameter for the mic body. On my Octavas, I have always just used a standard (non-hollow) foam ball (teardrop or round) which will fit over the ridge/flare of the capsule.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

post-1-13081508944_thumb.jpg

There are a great many inexpensive pencil condensers available which do really bang up jobs. It's a very competitive market segment.

The Octava 012s used to be a tremendous bargain, but they are up around $5-600 for a matched pair.

I've used the e70 by CAD which has a street price of $100 and interchangeable capsules, the Behringer B-5 at around $70 or $80 and the MXL 603s and 604s which are absurdly good on boom. I think you can get a matched pair of 603s for $130 with shock mounts and a case.

Most of these mics have either 20mm or 22mm barrel diameters. The windscreens I use with them are the Windtech US or Ultra Series windscreens - they are very substantial and protect the mic capsule very well. Olsen has them available in various sizes. Check their website. They aren't cheap (~$35), but they are a bargain compared to Schoeps foam!

I rarely use shotguns on boom nowadays. Pencil condensers are my go-to mics and the advantage is that I can use them indoors and out. For great wind protection I recommend getting the Rycote Baby Ball Gag and Windjammer (around $200). I open the ball gag, insert the pencil condenser, mount the Windtech screen over the capsule, close up the ball gag and put the Windjammer on. It's good to go and dead quiet in all sorts of conditions. I have an old Rycote "rubber doughnut" softie shock mount and a Rode PG-2 I use to put these setups on boom.

The audio quality is great and it's much smaller and lighter than a blimped shotgun - making this a lot easier to maneuver in the field - as well as a lot less expensive.

By the way, there are a couple of guys who mod and hot rod the 012s (as well as the MXLs) to get incredible performance out of them. You might want to check out Michael Joly. I think his company is: Oktavamod. You can send your mics to him or purchase already modded 012s. He's well known in music recording circles.

I use a Windtech US-2, this has inner open-cell foam, and normal WS type outer foam... Works surprisingly well for a mic that's so sensitive to air movement. And a cheap foam Windtech SM-81 type when minimal protection is needed.

That said, all Oktavas' are not created equal. Aside from the Chinese 'counterfeits' there are quality control issues.  I purchased a matched multi-capsule set from The Sound Room http://oktava.com/ who hand picks, tweaks and matches them. IMO it's worth the extra money... or do you feel lucky.

Also makes a nice stand-in when you don't want to risk your Schoeps  to hazardous duty, as Billy S has stated.