CMIT and the MKH50

PTA

I used my lectro 411a set to +5db , line level into my fusion , the smd xmitter set to 32 with a dpa 4061 attached and could not get enough level too .

I used to use similar settings from my lectros, until I called their tech.  They seemed very curious as to why I had the outputs set "so high".  They had this worried voice wondering why I had them set this way.  Since listening to their advice, and elsewhere on these threads, I've been running output levels from them at around -27 ish, and mic level to the Deva.  This all came to be when I was experiencing the clicking noises from the antenna/phase icon flipping, haven't experienced the noises since.

Also, (my opinion) the CS3e, while less beautiful sounding than the Schoeps, has a more feeling of "reach" in unfavorable conditions....

phil p

When we speak of "reach", we're speaking upon the ability of the mic to reject off axis (unwanted) sound right?  If that's the case the CS3e and KMR81i have both seemed to do this better than the CMIT to my ears.  When I see reports of how natural the CMIT is, and listen to it I agree, but I hear more background in the CMIT than the other two.  I'm looking for a good sounding mic that can really cut through the crap, which has me leaning towards the KMR81i so far.

I used to use similar settings from my lectros, until I called their tech.  They seemed very curious as to why I had the outputs set "so high".  They had this worried voice wondering why I had them set this way.  Since listening to their advice, and elsewhere on these threads, I've been running output levels from them at around -27 ish, and mic level to the Deva.  This all came to be when I was experiencing the clicking noises from the antenna/phase icon flipping, haven't experienced the noises since.

Hi Zack,

We're getting off topic and this has been covered before, but here's a relevant (albeit somewhat old) post on the subject from Larry Fisher, President of Lectrosonics. The post is from the RAMPS group (accessed via the oft-reviled Google Groups) and contains a link to a Lectro FAQ on the subject. It's been debated in plenty of other threads as well, iirc.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.movies.production.sound/browse_thread/thread/f6025fc2f24134b2/5d2b6d9555b8f2fe?#5d2b6d9555b8f2fe

Anyway, plenty of folks run their Lectros at anywhere from -40 to -20 dB into mic level on their mixers, including most reality shows I've encountered. I used to run them this way and now run them wide open into line level inputs. Whatever works.

Paul

Hi Zack,

We're getting off topic and this has been covered before, but here's a relevant (albeit somewhat old) post on the subject from Larry Fisher, President of Lectrosonics. The post is from the RAMPS group (accessed via the oft-reviled Google Groups) and contains a link to a Lectro FAQ on the subject. It's been debated in plenty of other threads as well, iirc.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.movies.production.sound/browse_thread/thread/f6025fc2f24134b2/5d2b6d9555b8f2fe?#5d2b6d9555b8f2fe

Anyway, plenty of folks run their Lectros at anywhere from -40 to -20 dB into mic level on their mixers, including most reality shows I've encountered. I used to run them this way and now run them wide open into line level inputs. Whatever works.

Paul

Paul, Robert started another thread over in general to try pushing this part of it to another discussion.  http://jwsound.net/SMF/index.php?topic=7166.0  , but thanks for the link.