Inventory management software

Noah Timan

Hi all,

Curious if anyone's got a line on a good piece of software (preferably Mac) that they like for managing inventory (eg noting and keeping track of what gear goes out on which job, and what's in which case, etc).  I've been muddling through for a long time with notes and lists and imagine that someone has probably written some software that makes this process far more efficient.  Thanks for any suggestions!

Well, I don't have a definitive answer for you. I expect you'll need to do some research and report back your findings. Many of us have Excel spreadsheets prepared with all of our gear listed as an insurance inventory but you are clearly looking for some way of tracking exactly what gear was loaded onto a truck for a particular assignment.

I notice that Panavision has bar-code labels on all of their gear and a camera technician scans each item before releasing it to the client. Something along those lines ought to serve your needs. (And an inquiry directly to Panavision wouldn't be out of order.)

A number of outfits accessible online offer inventory tracking barcode systems for small businesses. Here's a link to one (more or less at random):

http://www.waspbarcode.com/

The barcode scanners seem to be available for less than $200 so that wouldn't be out of reach.

Wasp also has a pre-packaged asset tracking system including software but it's a bit pricy at almost $1500.

For a Mac, one could download Barcode Producer and generate the barcodes yourself. It appears to be a free download. (A better price)

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/business_finance/barcodeproducer.html

You can also get free download of inventory tracking software. A search turned up this example (again, information only, no recommendation):

http://mac.sofotex.com/download-133605.html

I think if I were trying to work up an inventory tracking system for sound gigs, I would start out with something considerably more simple than the Panavision model. That is, I wouldn't try to affix a label to every shockmount and doo-dad; rather I would affix an inventory label to equipment cases or sub-cases. So, one would scan a case as being loaded on the truck and confirm its presence. The inventory of that case would specify that it contains 2 Schoeps mikes, 2 Sennheiser mikes and X accessories. For a very large case, the contents might be divided into several "tackle" boxes each identified with a bar code label. Some adjustment to how your gear is packed might be necessary but it could pay dividends in security and efficient use of your time.

Since barcodes can be generated by simply having the barcode font, you may be able to just download the font and print the labels yourself using a laser printer rather than a dedicated barcode printer. Avery Dennison makes labels intended to be permanent for inventory control. Here's a link to one:

http://www.avery.com/avery/en_us/Products/Labels/Identification-Labels/Permanent-Multipurpose-Labels_06572.htm?N=0&Ns=&refchannel=c042fd03ab30a110VgnVCM1000002118140aRCRD

And, finally, barcode reading software is available for the Android phones using the built-in camera. No doubt also available for iPhone. Here's one:

http://www.androidzoom.com/android_applications/reference/inventory_htpr.html

Here's another:

http://www.androidzoom.com/android_applications/productivity/inventory_dbzw.html

Sorry to make such a ragged response. I know that I've really just restated your question. But, I'm interested in the possible solutions. If this were really worked out well, it could address the always nagging issue of being certain that a proper kit was loaded for one of those assignments where one brings less than the whole package.

David

The other option is to roll your own with FileMaker.

There's a small learning curve, but it's very powerful and there are many templates setup already for most of the databases you'd want to use.  All of them are customizable and easily modified to fit your exact requirements. Alternately, you can design your own from the ground up.  Something most off the shelf solutions aren't capable of.

It's also cross platform, supports barcode and is capable of creating stand alone database apps.  You could build a sound report database that you stick on a thumb drive and run on any computer you're using. Or, you could just run it on Bento on your iphone..

You really will never outgrow it's abilities.

My $.02

My recommendation would be FileMaker Pro application. I have used FileMaker for years and years and even without a lot of expertise you will be able to build quite extensive and useful databases. With one of the main databases I built, I have a field where I put the CASE No. so I can go through the full list of equipment and "put" each piece in the case it is in. I also did a print routine that prints a sheet with just the contents of each case, all the items and their description, country of origin, replacement value, etc. and this sheet goes in each case.

Lately I have had to keep my FileMaker inventory and an inventory in Excel since many of the production companies use an Excel template that goes to the shipper (for jobs out of the country, etc.). I have never gotten very good with Excel but I have heard that Excel can be used as a major database builder (even though it is essentially a spreadsheet application) so you probably could do everything with Excel.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

• 4 years later...

Just wanted to resurrect this thread and see if Filemaker Pro is still the best way or are you guys and gals using a different app?

I am wanting to get labels with my name and company name, contact info, and a QR bar code for reference in a database on my pricier gear,

Thanks in advance!

Ben 

Not trying to derail this thread but anyone know if RFID tags are being used to keep track of gear? I just made it back home from a 2 hour drive in which I had to recover a TRX that I left on set by accident. Sure wish I can push a button on my laptop or RFID receiver of some sort just before I leave set to make sure all my stuff is with me.