Arri Alexa User Manual

al mcguire

The manual mentions an audio input (5 pin) but not what flavor of 5 pin (most of the rest of the connectors are Lemo--expensive and tough to work with....), and in the photo of that side of the cam it looks like the connector has a cover over it.  In the photo of the front of the camera there is a label to the left of the lens mount that clearly says AUDIO OUT, but the pic is too low rez to see what connector type it is.  The TC i/o connector is right next to where the mount for a hand-held handle/rig would attach, so that might require a right-angle Lemo 5 pin (even harder to work with).  Anyhow--lots of work for Remote Audio etc making adapters for this thing--makes the RED look easy.

phil p

According to the manual, the 5 pin audio input is not currently in use. That means no audio recording ability. I'm trying to think of the downside to that.................nope can't think of one.

Eric

This camera has been used on a lot of filming i have been on lately. There are two ways the camera has been used....  One with a big cable back to a shi*load of decks and such.... Audio is fed to the deck area wherever that might be.... The other is to simply treat it as a Film camera, just use a slate and SB-3 Denecke box.. your good to go....  They SELDOM liked using the whole deck cable thing....  In the weeks I have shot with this camera, I think we used the decks and HUGE cart-DIT thing once...  At the beginning...  after that, they were done with that option...

Things went great in post, not a hitch....

This camera has been used on a lot of filming i have been on lately..... The other is to simply treat it as a Film camera, just use a slate and SB-3 Denecke box.. your good to go....

This is excellent news! Ever since I saw the picture of my father holding the Arri Alexa, I was sort of hoping that it might be an HD video camera that will be used really just like a film camera. This hope was not based on any technical knowledge of the camera or any accounts of people using it. I am pleased that you have worked with the camera and they have used it just like a film camera.

- Jeff Wexler

post-1-130815089769_thumb.jpg

Like BobD, it is showing up more m more in my commercial circle. We have fed record decks 3 times w tc and mix track. The other times we treated it old school double system like film. Zero feedback from post as usual so I believe it all worked well. Looks real pro and the camera departments seemed to like it. More choices everyday.

CrewC

The manual mentions an audio input (5 pin) but not what flavor of 5 pin (most of the rest of the connectors are Lemo--expensive and tough to work with....), and in the photo of that side of the cam it looks like the connector has a cover over it.  In the photo of the front of the camera there is a label to the left of the lens mount that clearly says AUDIO OUT, but the pic is too low rez to see what connector type it is.  The TC i/o connector is right next to where the mount for a hand-held handle/rig would attach, so that might require a right-angle Lemo 5 pin (even harder to work with).  Anyhow--lots of work for Remote Audio etc making adapters for this thing--makes the RED look easy.

phil p

Phil,

It's a real 5 pin XLR, but the current firmware version of the camera doesn't support sound when recording to the camera.  The camera we had on my gig this past Wednesday came with a nice adaptor box on a pigtail with a pair of XLR 3  pin females, the box also had a pair of BNC connectors for timecode I/O and a second pigtail to connect to the 5 pin Lemo on the camera body. We recorded to the SxS card slots  and recorded double system, treating it like a film camera. The book says it will hold an accurate TC jam for 8 hours, we rejammed after lunch and when we went into the 11th hour, just to be sure.

The fan is quiet after the camera finishes booting up and the camera makes lovely images. I like it. A lot.

Best regards,

Jim

Edit for audio input gender reassignment.

Phil,

It's a real 5 pin XLR, but the current firmware version of the camera doesn't support sound when recording to the camera.  The camera we had on my gig this past Wednesday came with a nice adaptor box on a pigtail with a pair of XLR 3  pin males, the box also had a pair of BNC connectors for timecode I/O and a second pigtail to connect to the 5 pin Lemo on the camera body. We recorded to the SxS card slots  and recorded double system, treating it like a film camera. The book says it will hold an accurate TC jam for 8 hours, we rejammed after lunch and when we went into the 11th hour, just to be sure.

The fan is quiet after the camera finishes booting up and the camera makes lovely images. I like it. A lot.

Best regards,

Jim

XLR MALES?  And those are inputs or outputs? 

phil p